LiMnNi Rechargeable: 26650 Cell 3.7V 4000 mAh, 40A Rate, 14.8Wh

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone use/or know about these cells? They might be an alternative to the AW li-ion C cells. http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5161

Not those specifically, but yes, there's a bunch of 26650 and 26700 cells in the various safe chemistries. But they're longer than C cells, so they don't necessarily work nicely in C bodies, which is the C-cells' main point. They're pretty good for D bodies, though. Those are rated as 4Ah, though, which is intriguing as the ones from power tools are, AFAIK, no more than 3Ah.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I can see one difference, as there are always tradeoffs. The capacity is a big plus, but the specs on this say only 10A output continuous, so their stating 40A output as a "hook" is misleading. The RC guys need maximum CONTINUOUS Amps out, which is why they so love the A123 brand of LiFePO4 so much. Most of the 100W incan bulbs also need >10A continuous. Still it is nice to know about these.

mdocod

Flashaholic
These do represent a pretty impressive balance between capacity and safe loading ability. If the 4AH capacity claim is true anyways... The 10A continuous would be more than enough for many builds :)

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
These aren't C sized batteries... C diameter, but as long as a 18650. 2 of these are too long for a 2C light, and a good distance short, ~1 inch for a 3C.

They might fit in a 2D with a sleeve and spring removed.

Fulgeo

Enlightened
Just ordered 10 cells they have a 100 in stock....well 90 now.

Lux they had discharge graphs at 40 amps on these cells???

Mac

Mac,

Did you get your cells? Did you do any discharge test? I guess I was wondering if they test close to 4000 mAH?:candle:

Fulgeo

GreyShark

Enlightened
Those look great! Has anybody tried dropping them in a C Mag yet? Three cells that length work well in a 4C Mag host and would have 33% more capacity than the cells I'm currently using.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Just ordered 10 cells they have a 100 in stock....well 90 now.

Lux they had discharge graphs at 40 amps on these cells???

Mac

Not that I saw. I was commenting on batteryspace saying (now emphasized in red) they are only 10A continuous, despite the OP promoting it as a 40A output cell. It clearly is not. The pdf performance graph lists testing up to 20A D/C.

GreyShark

Enlightened
They're cheap enough to be replaced every so often but if they're already down to 70% listed capacity by the time you get them then there's no point. Is there any way to recondition them? I don't use ni-cad or nimh very much but I have heard some kinds of chargers are capable of reviving diminished or seemingly dead cells of those kind.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lux If the specs are correct then I understand your comment but there is no cell even close to these out there. 4000+ MAH at 10 amp draw. For $12. Even if they loose some capacity there still fine with me. I'll buy a few more at $12 each when these loose some capacity. The Emoli cells that are the same size tested at 2300mah.

Mac

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Mac, I agree there is nothing close to this capacity out there, and that makes them incredible. However, they don't tell you how much of the capacity drops off, and how fast starting at 6 months once they leave the factory. Are there at least date codes on yours to know when the clock started ticking? 6 months is a ridiculously short time frame for battery life. I'm still using some of AW's I got when I joined this forum 4 years ago.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I'm with Lux. These cells look great on the front end, and downright craptastic on the back end.

LiMnNi are not the same as LiMn (aka IMR). A little digging:

LiMnNi offers a little more capacity but low discharge rate (usually 5C) while rated at only 2.5C, along with a best case shelf life of only 6 months.

Another consideration is the charging voltage. LiMnNi cells have to be charged to 4.10V. If you charge them to 4.2V like regular LiIon cells, it will shorten their life/cycle even further:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5A.htm

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with Lux. These cells look great on the front end, and downright craptastic on the back end.

LiMnNi are not the same as LiMn (aka IMR). A little digging:
LiMnNi offers a little more capacity but low discharge rate (usually 5C) while rated at only 2.5C, along with a best case shelf life of only 6 months.

Another consideration is the charging voltage. LiMnNi cells have to be charged to 4.10V. If you charge them to 4.2V like regular LiIon cells, it will shorten their life/cycle even further:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5A.htm

We already know that the 6-month thing is wrong. We talk about this in the thread where I posted graphs. Check it out.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/234724

Mac

Last edited: