Mag-Tac LED new from Mag-Lite...

JacobJones

Enlightened
I wonder who their target market is. I guess not the average Joe because he won't want to pay 2 dollars per battery, if he can even find them. I reckon they might be targeting police officers and the military.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be my guess...they've kind of always been associated with the Police, and what the Police carries nowadays is starting to be a lot different than it was back in the day. They are more likely to carry a smaller light with higher voltage batteries that's as bright, or brighter than a big bulky 3 or 4 D light.

jmwking

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading this forum for many years. I don't post very often on any of the forums that I belong to. But, I do read the post often. I have actually read the post on this forum for much longer than I have been registered. I have been into flashlights since the 70's. I have almost every vintage KEL-Lite in my collection that I bought when they were brand new.

I saw the ad for the new Mag-Tac lite in a magazine and wanted to find out if anyone here knew anything about it, because I had not heard a single word about it until then. Plus I thought it would be of interest to all on this forum who also hadn't heard of it.

I did not Photoshop a fake Maglite ad. Feel free to look at The American Police Beat Magazine yourself. I highly doubt that some photo hacker mocked up this ad and paid the cost of a full page ad in a national police magazine just to give some select people some false excitement.

Some magazines have ridiculous lead times for ads - I'm guessing their ship date slipped, and they pulled their ads where they could, but at least this one got published anyway.

-jk

appliancejunk

Enlightened
* * * A T T E N T I O N * * *

Hey everybody --

Just saw in my Television listings . . . .

October 4th (Tuesday), at 8:00pm Eastern Daylight Time

the show " Made in America " (which i have never watched)

is gonna' feature Mag-Lites made in their California factory !

It is my understanding that this is a Brand-New airing, not broadcast previously.

It's on " Travel Channel " , which happens to be channel 277 for my DirecTV.

I'll be watching it !

Just wanted to give y'all a Heads-Up !

:wave:
_

Nice, can't wait to see it.

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Made_In_America/Photos/cadillac-sub-zero-and-maglite

5Sport

Enlightened
I just saw an ad for this light in a LE magazine. No price for it, but it said that it has a momentary switch (clicky) with high and strobe functions. No other info.

Why do manufacturers think that a strobe is tactical, thats what muzzle flashes are for. Just my .02

Lapetus

Banned
I just saw an ad for this light in a LE magazine. No price for it, but it said that it has a momentary switch (clicky) with high and strobe functions. No other info.

Why do manufacturers think that a strobe is tactical, thats what muzzle flashes are for. Just my .02

Depends what is meant by "tactical"

A strobe is a good way to draw attention or annoy someone else.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got an update for you guys:

http://www.led-resource.com/2011/03/maglite-new-products-for-2011/#MAG-TAC

EDIT: Just for CPF, I did remember to ask about the window. Glass windows aren't on the requirements list for military or law enforcement agencies, so the MAG-TAC will use a polycarbonate window. That being said, I did mention my concerns about plastic being easily scratched and affecting output, so yes, they are aware. To consumers, beam artifacts and output loss won't be a big deal, but the perception of the product being easily damaged could be an issue.

There's also a new service for the XL-series, in which you can send the light to them and get a glass window installed for $2. I don't know who pays return shipping, but for more details, call Warranty/Repairs (details on their website).

Last edited:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
* * * A T T E N T I O N * * *

Hey everybody --

Just saw in my Television listings . . . .

October 4th (Tuesday), at 8:00pm Eastern Daylight Time

the show " Made in America " (which i have never watched)

is gonna' feature Mag-Lites made in their California factory !

It is my understanding that this is a Brand-New airing, not broadcast previously.

It's on " Travel Channel " , which happens to be channel 277 for my DirecTV.

I'll be watching it !

Just wanted to give y'all a Heads-Up !

:wave:
_

Well, it was interesting, but I wish they would have shown an LED model being built. You do have to admire Mr. Maglica for building such a huge company from basically nothing.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Got an update for you guys:

There's also a new service for the XL-series, in which you can send the light to them and get a glass window installed for $2. I don't know who pays return shipping, but for more details, call Warranty/Repairs (details on their website).

Good to know, thanks.

bill7695

Newly Enlightened
I just saw a full page ad like the one pictured above in the October issue of American Police Beat magazine. I'm buying one, carried a magcharger for 20 years, great light. I'm glad they finally recognized the market share they are missing out on!

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is that? The CPF community is very small to Mag's overall sales, and they probably don't care to or want to endorse, or engineer the ability to use some lego-battery setup in their lights.

Because we have an outsized impact on reviews, recommendations, and what "normal people" buy compared to another random thousand or so netizens. Also, if they want to compete with the Strion, using a protected 18650 would be a cheap way to do it, without any engineering expense. Hopefully they subcontract out to AW! :D

Consider, something like this bad boy charging up racks of 18650 for a police department, which issues Magtac lights. That's the sort of customer who both knows what 18650 is, and buys a lot of product at once.

Depends what is meant by "tactical"

A strobe is a good way to draw attention or annoy someone else.

Strobes tend to make people shooting at the strobe light aim too high and miss, since they can't reliably see their own front sight.

Last edited:

hiluxxulih

Enlightened
Sweet I will finaly get a chance to use all those CR123 batteries I bought frome surefire years ago when I bought my Surefire M6 .

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
If they are able to produce these as inexpensive as they do their regular mags this should be a real hit. And if it is actually tactically rated meaning it will survive all the jarring and whatnot then I will buy at least one.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both good news and bad news to share. Let's start with the bad news: there's going to be a delay until early 2012.

Now, the good news: the reason for the delay is because they're looking to using a different material for the window (which was originally polycarbonate, like the XL-series)!

I did have a lengthy discussion with them about plastic windows when I confirmed the authenticity of the MAG-TAC... :whistle: