Mag623 build

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a big fan of Li-ion cells. 4 cells are in theory equivalent to 12 NiMH cells, but hold their voltage better under load so they will out perform 13 NiMH cells. 4 cells are easier to work with though and Li-ion have better capacity. The more NiMH cells you use the worse the nightmare of keeping them balanced. I think Li-ion cells are just easier. IMR 26500 are powerful little suckers too! :twothumbs

What size PVC did you use? Would I be able to purchase it from somewhere like homedepot? Or would this be an online order?

This is standard plumbing supply - homedepot or just about any hardware supply store should be able to help you here.

ipfreeze

Newly Enlightened
You can pick it up at Home Depot. Just ask for "1-inch PVC pipe, schedule 40" (the white kind). Depending on the manufacturer and batch, AW IMR26500 may be a correct, tight, or impossible fit. Bringing a batt with you may not be a bad idea.

Cool! Thanks for the info!
I guess I should order the batteries first, then take a trip out to home depot.
Would lighthound be a good place to get the battery?

Thanks again!

ipfreeze

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking of a 2D host and I guess I would have to build my own battery pack. I was thinking of using the ELITE1500 X12 but I am not sure what size heat shrink I should use from CBP. Could anyone give me some in site on this? Sorry, not sure if I should have put this in the battery section or this one. :duh2:

Thanks!

supasizefries

Enlightened
I thought about building my own pack when I initially set out on this build but I ended up just buying one after reading what's involved with making a proper pack. It's best to spot weld the batteries together using tabs to reduce resistance.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking of a 2D host and I guess I would have to build my own battery pack. I was thinking of using the ELITE1500 X12 but I am not sure what size heat shrink I should use from CBP. Could anyone give me some in site on this? Sorry, not sure if I should have put this in the battery section or this one. :duh2:

Thanks!

The black 68mm wide stuff will fit over the usual 4 long 2/3A sized cell X 3 sticks configuration and when shrunk nice and tight will be about 1/4mm thick.

Something you might want to think about is getting CBP to make you up 3 sticks of 4 Elite 1500 2/3A cells each and have tabs left on both ends of the sticks. When you get the sticks you'd only need to solder a few tabs together, cap the ends, and shrink wrap it.
If you wanted, you could even add a 13th tabbed cell to the tail of the pack provided you secured it to the rest of the pack properly like the way Lux Luthor did when he was making them.
You would need to use a shorter spring in the tailcap and it would have to sit against the very back of the tailcap but it would work fine if you remove the anodizing from the inside surface of the tailcap.

ipfreeze

Newly Enlightened
The black 68mm wide stuff will fit over the usual 4 long 2/3A sized cell X 3 sticks configuration and when shrunk nice and tight will be about 1/4mm thick.

Something you might want to think about is getting CBP to make you up 3 sticks of 4 Elite 1500 2/3A cells each and have tabs left on both ends of the sticks. When you get the sticks you'd only need to solder a few tabs together, cap the ends, and shrink wrap it.
If you wanted, you could even add a 13th tabbed cell to the tail of the pack provided you secured it to the rest of the pack properly like the way Lux Luthor did when he was making them.
You would need to use a shorter spring in the tailcap and it would have to sit against the very back of the tailcap but it would work fine if you remove the anodizing from the inside surface of the tailcap.

Thank you very much, this is just the info I needed.
I bought the wicked laser battery pack to ease the pain but it didn't fit and I ended up having to take the shrink off to get it in the mag tri-bore host. However, I will also order and make my own battery pack. I took apart the wicked one enough to see how its made. I also found that I can pop the top off of a D cell alk batt without anything leaking out. Looks like its just a cap of some sort spot welded to the cell. I guess I can use this as part of my battery pack? Not sure if this is how your supposed to do it but it looks promising... Again, thanks for the info, it helped a lot!!

:D

ipfreeze

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised that the Wicked Laser pack didn't fit in your tri-bore host.I believe supasizefries used one in his '623 with no problem.

Yea, I believe I may have gotten one that was slightly off. Not sure what the correct word for it would be :shakehead.. It was the third row on the battery pack that was getting stuck. I would just buy another pack but I figured, I better just learn how to do it.

Would anyone have an idea how to get more throw out of the 623? I've tried searching for aspheric lenses for incan bulbs but got mixed results. Some say it works but some say it doesn't because of how the filament is and normally works best with LED lights. Is there a different way to get a more focus beam on the 623? I currently have a SMO reflector and the bulb sits in. I can get a focus but not that great.

Thanks!:)

Last edited:

supasizefries

Enlightened
That's odd the pack doesn't fit. Like Andreas said, mine fit with no problem. I guess the 3rd row was probably not straight?

You could look for one of FM's throwmaster heads for throw.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, I believe I may have gotten one that was slightly off. Not sure what the correct word for it would be :shakehead.. It was the third row on the battery pack that was getting stuck. I would just buy another pack but I figured, I better just learn how to do it.

Would anyone have an idea how to get more throw out of the 623? I've tried searching for aspheric lenses for incan bulbs but got mixed results. Some say it works but some say it doesn't because of how the filament is and normally works best with LED lights. Is there a different way to get a more focus beam on the 623? I currently have a SMO reflector and the bulb sits in. I can get a focus but not that great.

Thanks!:)

Yep! Use a different bulb!
I have used 64623/64432/64440/64458/62138 bulbs. 64623 is by far the , most flood.
62138 or 64458 is what I would suggest if you want a tighter focus with similar output.
62138 will need less volts and will not be as bright.
64458 will need more volts and will be brighter.

62138 and 64458 both focus with a noticeable hotspot in a stock mag head and even more so with a 2.5 throwmaster head.

Osram 64623 Stock Mag Head, SMO reflector
09_64623_5226.jpg

Osram 62138 Stock Mag Head, SMO reflector:
06_62138_5219-1.jpg

Full set of beamshots:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2661102#post2661102

Last edited:

ipfreeze

Newly Enlightened
Yep! Use a different bulb!
I have used 64623/64432/64440/64458/62138 bulbs. 64623 is by far the , most flood.
62138 or 64458 is what I would suggest if you want a tighter focus with similar output.
62138 will need less volts and will not be as bright.
64458 will need more volts and will be brighter.

62138 and 64458 both focus with a noticeable hotspot in a stock mag head and even more so with a 2.5 throwmaster head.

Osram 64623 Stock Mag Head, SMO reflector
09_64623_5226.jpg

Osram 62138 Stock Mag Head, SMO reflector:
05_62138_5219.jpg

Full set of beamshots:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2661102#post2661102

Whoa cool!
Sounds like the 64458 is what I would want to use =).
hmmm... but how to get 21v into a 2D? I guess I will have to research this more, thanks for the heads up! This is awesome info!

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Feel free to ask - there are many more experience people on these forums but I have put considerable thought into all the possible configurations of these big Osram bulbs and tried quite a few.

You won't get 21v in a 2D. Not with any decent current ability.
I have a 2.25D that fits 15.6v pack using 13 x 2/3AA.
There is no space for extra cells.

Here is what can be done with Elite 1500mAh 2/3A cells:

For 2D host (tribore configuration)
* 13.2V (11 cells)
* 14.4V (12 cells)
* 15.6V (13 cells) (Has cell built in tailcap with spring - You need to remove inside tailcap anodize/paint)

For 3D Host (tribore configuration)
* 16.8V (14 cells)
* 18.0V (15 cells)
* 19.2V (16 cells)
* 20.4V (17 cells)
* 21.6V (18 cells)

Here is what can be done with Elite 1700 mAh AA cells

For 3D Host (4 wide needs Quad Bore)
* 13.2V (11 cells - 4 wide-1 dummy)
* 14.4V (12 cells - 4 wide)
* 15.6V (12 cells - 4 wide + 13th 1700mAh 4/5 SubC in tailcap) (Has contact strips/spring, but you need to remove inside tailcap anodizing/paint)

For 4D Host (4 wide needs Quad Bore)
* 14.4V (12 cells - 3 wide)
* 15.6V (12 cells - 3 wide + 13th 1700mAh 4/5 SubC)
* 16.8V (14 cells - 4 wide)
* 19.2V (16 cells - 4 wide)

(copied from an old sales thread - these are no longer available from that supplier, good reference though)

Referring to above , I believe makes a good case for IMR26500s.
4 in a 3D with AW softsart - 64623
4 in a 3D with JimmyM or AlanB regulator - 64623/62138 or any lower volt bulb.
5 in a 4D with AW sofstart or JimmyM/AlanB - 64458 or any lower volts.

If you really want shortest possible 100W or more Incan, 62138 in a tribored 2D or a short ellephant body would b my suggestion.

ipfreeze

Newly Enlightened
Feel free to ask - there are many more experience people on these forums but I have put considerable thought into all the possible configurations of these big Osram bulbs and tried quite a few.

You won't get 21v in a 2D. Not with any decent current ability.
I have a 2.25D that fits 15.6v pack using 13 x 2/3AA.
There is no space for extra cells.

Here is what can be done with Elite 1500mAh 2/3A cells:

For 2D host (tribore configuration)
* 13.2V (11 cells)
* 14.4V (12 cells)
* 15.6V (13 cells) (Has cell built in tailcap with spring - You need to remove inside tailcap anodize/paint)

For 3D Host (tribore configuration)
* 16.8V (14 cells)
* 18.0V (15 cells)
* 19.2V (16 cells)
* 20.4V (17 cells)
* 21.6V (18 cells)

Here is what can be done with Elite 1700 mAh AA cells

For 3D Host (4 wide needs Quad Bore)
* 13.2V (11 cells - 4 wide-1 dummy)
* 14.4V (12 cells - 4 wide)
* 15.6V (12 cells - 4 wide + 13th 1700mAh 4/5 SubC in tailcap) (Has contact strips/spring, but you need to remove inside tailcap anodizing/paint)

For 4D Host (4 wide needs Quad Bore)
* 14.4V (12 cells - 3 wide)
* 15.6V (12 cells - 3 wide + 13th 1700mAh 4/5 SubC)
* 16.8V (14 cells - 4 wide)
* 19.2V (16 cells - 4 wide)

(copied from an old sales thread - these are no longer available from that supplier, good reference though)

Referring to above , I believe makes a good case for IMR26500s.
4 in a 3D with AW softsart - 64623
4 in a 3D with JimmyM or AlanB regulator - 64623/62138 or any lower volt bulb.
5 in a 4D with AW sofstart or JimmyM/AlanB - 64458 or any lower volts.

If you really want shortest possible 100W or more Incan, 62138 in a tribored 2D or a short ellephant body would b my suggestion.

This is AWESOME information!!!
Shucks, I cannot use my 2D host, I guess I'm going to have to spend more money on a 3D host =)... You just saved me hours of research, thank you so much!:)

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is AWESOME information!!!
Shucks, I cannot use my 2D host, I guess I'm going to have to spend more money on a 3D host =)... You just saved me hours of research, thank you so much!:)

You're welcome.
I did not even mention 62138 in a Short Elephant.

A lot more expensive compared to a 3D , not much more than a bored host.
I use 4 x 18650 IMR with AW sofstarter and 62138.

edit: 4 x Sony 18650 LIMN. Not sure if 4 x AW IMR18650 might be just a bit too high volts?

Smaller than 2D:
_02_5619.jpg

Fits in one of these nicely:
_02_5611.jpg

_02_5608.jpg

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
That's odd the pack doesn't fit. Like Andreas said, mine fit with no problem. I guess the 3rd row was probably not straight?

You could look for one of FM's throwmaster heads for throw.

The problem with the WL packs is QC, both in terms of cell alignment, and doing the cycle/conditioning runs to find the occasional bad cell. Some packs are great, others not. It is a tight fit in a tri-bored mag.

Wow, Chodes, you are getting serious having padded carry bags for the babies!!! I love it!

Brewdog2001

Newly Enlightened
Building my Mag623 as follows:

• Maglight D Size Host - Red
  • Mag D Incan Driver/Soft Start & Muti-Level
  • Borofloat Lens
  • Smooth Camless Aluminum Reflector
  • 4 AW IMR 26500's
  • PVC pipe as D>C sleeve
  • Osram 64623 Lamp
Thanks to RichS for his guidance as this is my first incan build.

lovecpf

Update on my progess: After much wait time, I finally recieved my reflector from litho. While waiting and pondering such questions as "Do I really need a Throw Master?" I decided that getting the Throw Master would help shape the beam comming out the end of my beast. So I have ordered a Throw Master 2.5" head from Fivemega, and am awaiting its arrival. Once I have it in my hands, my beast can spring to life.

Pics and beamshots to come.....Stay tuned.

-Brewdog2001

lovecpf

ipfreeze

Newly Enlightened
Sweet!

Can't wait to see your pics/beamshots!
:popcorn:

I finished my 623 build.... I was thinking of using a different head like the one from FM to but haven't gotten around to it because I started looking into LED mods. I love the brightness of incan and the power of the 623 is just crazyness! However, it seems like LED is the way to go for run time and brightness. Although, I am very new to this so what do I know? I just love coming here and reading about new mods and looking at pics of peoples modded lights and beam shots. The amount of help I get from everyone here is also the best!

lovecpf