MagLite 2C/2D 4D 3W LED drop-in Technical Review

cslinger

Enlightened
Since the modules don't "require" external heatsinking, they could be used in other (mostly) plastic lights such as camping lanterns, which would also be a good idea to have around for the occasional power outage.

In theory, yes. In reality no. The stupid things are too big to fit in anything except a MAGLITE. Son's a Bit.........I digress.

Other then the fact they only technically work in MAGLITEs I love em. I have 6 D sized MAGLEDs all over the house. Considering each one will run a minium of 30-32ish hours I can pretty much light up every room for a very extended time or use them one or two at a time for massive length of time. They are a great tool. Not sexy, but a great tool.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
In lights where the battery + nipple can touch the end of the bulb (example the GOOD old 99 cent lights that Walmart had) it just takes a wee bit of opening up where the upper part of the M*gled needs to go.

In other cases the size of the case makes it tough if not impossible...

I was just checking as I thought I had one of those lights set up like that. But I was wrong. I have SMJLEDs in a couple, an Everled in one, a Craftsman 3AAA 1W "bulb" in one and a couple hotrodded with two or three 123 and overdriven Kryptons.

But I USE my M*gled 2C more than most anything else in my arsenal besides my Fenix P1 EDC!

LittleBrownStain

Newly Enlightened
cslinger said:
In theory, yes. In reality no. The stupid things are too big to fit in anything except a MAGLITE. Son's a Bit.........I digress.

Other then the fact they only technically work in MAGLITEs I love em. I have 6 D sized MAGLEDs all over the house. Considering each one will run a minium of 30-32ish hours I can pretty much light up every room for a very extended time or use them one or two at a time for massive length of time. They are a great tool. Not sexy, but a great tool.

I'm probably going to try anyway. A store - just 15 mins away, carries the modules.

If you look at the mag blister pack info, you see the mag module simply being swapped-in for the incan. (Two arrows - one IN and one OUT). That should mean they're the standard PR-size, right?

jkcashin

Newly Enlightened
I called on industrial accounts when I sold shipping supplies and earned a customer with tape products that he loved and he lavished me with samples explaining his pot scrubbers "Chore Girl" was a knitted ball, of fine-square cut copper wire, softer, than pot material and wouldn't scratch pots. "Brillo Pads" are similar. You got it. The wire mass of hundreds of feet of copper wire pressed into the Mag around and under the bulb with maybe a type of 1-2" thin washer with a hole the size of the threaded shaft to keep the knitted sweater under control pressed against the wall of the Mag may be a very cheap mod maybe not an elegant mode but - Will this work?
I'm surprised no-one has commented on this. My 4D has a metal bulb tower, and lots of room, so I think I will give this a try.

Jamie

blan

Newly Enlightened
Re: MagLite 2C LED drop-in Technical Review

Quick Question. In a 3D mag. Do 4C's provide more lifetime or do 3D's?

JamisonM

Enlightened
Re: MagLite 2C LED drop-in Technical Review

Quick Question. In a 3D mag. Do 4C's provide more lifetime or do 3D's?
I doubt it. Starting mAh for a energizer D cell alkaline is around 20,000. For the same brand, but a C cell alkaine, the starting mAh is around 8,000.

Arg

Newly Enlightened
This is a great thread!
I have a short question, does anybody know what are the differences in runtime and output between using the led module in 3D and 3C lights?
Thanks

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a great thread!
I have a short question, does anybody know what are the differences in runtime and output between using the led module in 3D and 3C lights?
Thanks

That would just be the difference in battery capacities, which I think Energizer posts on their site. But off the top of my head, it is pretty close to a 2:1 ratio. So if a 3D does around 24 hours to 50% (I think it is usually a bit better than that) a 3C would be in the neighborhood of 12 hours. D's are a better value, but C lights just feel so nice in the hand!

Just looked back at JamisonM's post, his numbers sound right, so a little less than half with C's.

Hondo

Last edited:

Arg

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for you reply, Hondo.
So, there's only difference in runtime, not in light output?
Sorry for the stupid questions, but I was given a 3 element led module and need to decide wheter to buy a 3D or C light, and in my country once you buy something you can only return it if it doesn's work (and that if you are very lucky!).
Regards

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Arg, I did not reply to the output portion of your question. Yes, the outputs would be essentially identical between the C and D size lights, just the runtime advantage of the D's. Around here, stores charge the same for C's and D's, so using C cells is not economical. But like I said, the C size Mag feels nice in the hand, and is less weight to carry around. With the much longer runtimes of the LED modules, using C cells is not so painfull as it was with the incandescents.

Hondo

diamondback

Newly Enlightened
Re: MagLite 2C LED drop-in Techinical Review

A good mod project could be the development of a heat sink. It should be a pretty simple task to make a "washer" type insert that fits down over the threaded retaining ring and rests snuggly against the inside of the body. Of course it would take different sizes for the C cell lights and D cell. That way it wouldn't have to back the power down as often.

Good report, Newbie. Thanks.

anyone tried this?

wildta

Newly Enlightened

I have an old 3D maglite that I would like to upgrade to LED with a drop-in LED. Where would you recommend I purchase a drop-in bulb that is both cheap and has a decent throw/brightness? Please let me know. Thansk in advance!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Oh yeah... I couldn't get on the other night to post this.

I used a 4D and a 3D M*gled in candle mode to install a new ceiling fan the other night. They performed well, but the collar on the 4D was WARM after a couple hours!

Maybe some sort of thermal stuff and a big washer. You'd probably have to change it to move-the-head focus as the cam would likely be in the way.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an old 3D maglite that I would like to upgrade to LED with a drop-in LED. Where would you recommend I purchase a drop-in bulb that is both cheap and has a decent throw/brightness? Please let me know. Thansk in advance!

Just get one of the LED drop-ins from Maglite available at Wal-Mart. Decent brightness, throw and real good runtime on 3 D cells. Not the latest and greatest but it will KILL the incandescent version.
Make sure you get the 3 cell version LED upgrade as they have them for 2,3 and 4 cell lights.

The packaging will look like this:
upgrademoduleiq7.jpg

Although this picture doesn't designate which number of cells this LED uses, the packages at the store will.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Yep. I'm SURE a heat sink option can be found. You WILL have to do away with the cam and use twist head focus.

The correct item I think would fit relatively tight around the collar and be large enough to reach the body.

I don't have machining or thermal goop, so it will have to be up to someone else to implement it!