Maglite LED now using Cree XP-E

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
My bad. BTW, if anyone out there still has their old modules, do an emitter swap with a newer emitter, like an XP-G R5. We measured 160 OTF lumens on the one that I did and that one has an R4 in it along with a UCL. The best part is that the older module draws slightly more than half the amps that the newer module does and can make more light doing so with a modern emitter.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread got me interested in looking at the new Mag LED. I found the new one at Lowes. It says 131 lumens and something like 33,000 peak beam candlepower. These are pretty decent specs. This should throw better than many other led lights. It was around 30 dollars which still isn't bad considering the specs and long run time on 3 D cells.

I am curious as to what the regulation is like. Also, I wonder if there will be a reductn in output if it is run with NiMh batteries since the voltage will be 3.6 volts as opposed to 4.5 with alkalines.

bstrickler

Enlightened
My XP-E Mag easily throws 600 meters. I can distinguish a person from a bush fairly well at that range, too. Of course it's no SR-90, but it's still dang good range, for only being driven to 110 lumens.

I was going to mod it with an XM-L, but I've decided to just buy an incan 3D, and the deep reflector from the new ones, and mod that.

Honestly, It's one of the best $30 I've spent on a flashlight yet ($50 if you include batteries & taxes).

Just gotta get the $150+, so I can make my 9AA XM-L Mag build.

Beamshot range added. From dot to dot is the longest range I have tested the light to. Plenty enough for me. Anything past that isn't a problem/threat to me, unless it's a military sniper, at which point I'm %$#%D.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/Bstrickler/3DXP-EMAGDISTANCE.png

~Brian

Last edited:

compnaut

Newly Enlightened
I saw the same old MAg 3D (29.99, IRC) + 2xAA minimag package in costco recently. THe package looked the same as before, but it looked like it had 484 printed by the LED. Would that be the XP-E, but they did not bother to mention higher output? I was a little tmpeted, but both of the multi-mode minimags I got this way last time have proven to be a little unreliable (even with the lanyard tailcap) so I don't think I'll do anyting about it.

uknewbie

Banned
My XP-E Mag easily throws 600 meters. I can distinguish a person from a bush fairly well at that range, too. Of course it's no SR-90, but it's still dang good range, for only being driven to 110 lumens.~Brian

600 metres??? You sure?

I have measured out a 150 metre outdoor test and tried out a couple of lights, in pretty much total darkness in the country, and would be astonished to think that even a well focussed mag could do anything useful at this range. The only things I could light up, to what I would say was a level where you could identify things was an aspheric light I had and a 35W HID. My Firesword IV, M1X, TLE-300M etc were not great at this distance, albeit did light it my target tree to some extent.

bstrickler

Enlightened
600 metres??? You sure?

I have measured out a 150 metre outdoor test and tried out a couple of lights, in pretty much total darkness in the country, and would be astonished to think that even a well focussed mag could do anything useful at this range. The only things I could light up, to what I would say was a level where you could identify things was an aspheric light I had and a 35W HID. My Firesword IV, M1X, TLE-300M etc were not great at this distance, albeit did light it my target tree to some extent.

It was reflecting off a white house, so that may have allowed the range to be exaggerated.

For me, though, I'm able to see movement and shapes at that range (nothing smaller than a human, though). My eyes are extremely sensitive to light, though, so that may be part of it. When my eyes adapt to the darkness on a new moon, I can see up to about 25-30 feet with my Quark on moonlight.

In a forested area, I'll cut the range to 100 meters.

~Brian

bstrickler

Enlightened
Sorry for necro-ing the thread, but I decided to take a beamshot with my camera, comparing the Mag 3D with XP-E against my 4Sevens Quark AA (running a 14500) on high (forgot to turn it to turbo)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/Bstrickler/DSC07309.jpg

You can see the flood from the quark at the bottom of the pic, and on the house to the left but thats about it. The house way in the middle is about 400' out. Exposure was 1 second at F2.5. It's not much dimmer in real life, either.

Maybe I got an overdriven XP-E?

~Brian

Raven

Enlightened
Is there anyway to determine whether these lights have the Cree upgrades without opening the package? Thanks

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, look through the packaging at the emitter itself. If the emitter is surrounded by green then it's the XP-E version. Look at the picture in post #5 above to see what the difference is between the old (right) and new (left).

thaugen

Enlightened
Can I run my new Maglite 3D XP-E with 9AA Eneloop's (with custom convertor)? I am currently running it with 6 eneloop batteries (3 e-bay 2AA to D convertors) and don't see much difference from the 3D alkaline battery set-up as far as brightness...I don't know about run time.

Thanks!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, that is way too much voltage unless it's 3AA's in parallel.

BTW, the Mini Maglite LED is using XP-E now as well, although if I remember correctly, it's down to 63 lumens.

ncka1234

Newly Enlightened
Its actually better than that now, the info was from a show flyer, we have the offical results...lets just say it will be 70+.

pbyhistorian

Newly Enlightened
I have about 14 incandescent Maglites. I recently decided to try the LEDs and came across this thread. About two months ago, I found a 3D with the new packaging:
"New Brighter LED"
Ultra Beam Distance 364 Meters
131 Lumens
The LED is square, green, and is numbered "484"; it matches the Cree XP-E pictured earlier in this thread. The flashlight's serial number is "DL301724343".

After a recent snowmobile "mishap", I decided to replace their 2D Maglites with LEDs. Patiently, I searched for 2Ds in the new packaging and found one about a month ago:
"New Brighter LED"
Ultra Beam Distance 388 Meters
134 Lumens
The layout of the packaging is identical to the 3D version except for the 2D specs.

I've actually kept the packaging for these two flashlights; want to be sure I only buy these from now on.

But I've just looked at the 2D LED, it resembles the Rebel: yellow with two metallic traces off to one side of the substrate, bracketing a metallic dot on the substrate; it's numbered "-090" and resembles the Rebel pictured earlier. The flashlight's serial number is "DL201377738".

All of the other 2D LEDs I can find at four Orchard Supply Hardwares have the same LED - even in two older versions of packaging (one without "New Brighter LED" and "Ultra Beam Distance 388 Meters", and with different numbers in the FL 1 Standards; another with just three overlapping circles of red, green, and blue).

It appears to me that Maglite is shipping Rebels in the latest packaging too. Can anyone describe the 2D Cree XP-E?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are old lights in new packaging, as well as new lights in old packaging, so the only way to know is to look at the LED before you buy. As long as you see the XP-E, you'll be OK.

114 vs. 134 lumens is not going to be really noticeable, so I wouldn't go above and beyond just to find one with an XP-E.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
It appears to me that Maglite is shipping Rebels in the latest packaging too. Can anyone describe the 2D Cree XP-E?
:welcome:
Read post 31. Then look at the picture on post 5.
I know it is hard peering through plastic but that is the only way to be sure.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
...and don't forget to do your duty:

If you see someone next to you in the flashlight section, explain to them which light they should buy. Most folks are genuinely grateful, and one or two even take down the URL for our community. :)

hwc

Newly Enlightened
I just got a new gray Mini Mag AA LED from Amazon today. It has the Cree XP-E LED, plus new ANSI specs on the packaging.

The front of the package touts: Ultra Beam Distance 163 meters.

The FL1 ANSI specs on the back are:

163 meters
63 lumens
6619 candela
9 hour 30 minute runtime on high
24 hour runtime on low

This thing looks like it has some serious throw. Those are crazy high beam intensity and beam distance specs. Looks like this beam is really tightly focused.
Just from comparing in a dark room, it's a bit tigher beam but much brighter at the same distance than a Fenix LD01 SS.

Not bad for a cheapo $16 light.

hwc

Newly Enlightened
OK, this Cree XP-E Maglite MiniMag is pretty bright. I played around with it last night outside. Just using it to light an area on the ground in front of me, it is noticeably brighter than the Fenix LD01 SS keychain light on high (73 ANSI) lumens. The area it lights is about the same size, brighter overall, but with more of a focused hot spot in the middle. Not even close on throw. The Minimag is much better at lighting up distant trees -- as it should be with a much bigger, deeper reflector. The focusing works much better than on the old incan minimags. You actually can go for a tight hotspot to a fairly diffuse circle of light.

Pretty nice flashlight, although it is no match for the Cree XP-G in the XL200.