Maglite LED now using Cree XP-E

sunfire

Newly Enlightened
Lucky people...USA is in the wrong side of the globe...my wrong side of the globe...:mecry:

krhainos

Newly Enlightened
How do the Cree XP-E units compare to dropins like the TLE-6EX or TLE-6EXB?

I currently have a 4D and what looks like an ancient Mag LED module -- it has the markings "Mag-Lite(R)" and "4 R2H06" on the housing.

I'm thinking of either a: 3D w/Cree XP-E, a 3D + TLE-6EXB, or a 4D + TLE-6EX. Or are there more worthy competitors I should consider?

Lightwriter

Newly Enlightened
How do the Cree XP-E units compare to dropins like the TLE-6EX or TLE-6EXB?

I currently have a 4D and what looks like an ancient Mag LED module -- it has the markings "Mag-Lite(R)" and "4 R2H06" on the housing.

I'm thinking of either a: 3D w/Cree XP-E, a 3D + TLE-6EXB, or a 4D + TLE-6EX. Or are there more worthy competitors I should consider?

I have a 3D with Malkoff drop in (I think Cree XP-G), a third generation MagLED 2D with Cree XP-E (483), a 2D TLE-6EXB, a 3D TLE-6EXB, a 4D TLE-6EX, first generation MagLED 3D (Luxeon III), and a second generation MagLED 3D with Rebel (091).

In descending order of subjective brightness and throw: 3D Malkoff, 2D XP-E, tie for 3D Rebel/3D TLE-6EXB/4D TLE-6EX, 2D TLE-6EXB, and 3D Luxeon III.

Most bang for the buck would be the 2D XP-E that I got from Home Depot last week for $14.88. The amount I spent on a 3D incan and Malkoff drop-in is enough to buy 5 2D XP-E from Home Depot!

If you insist on a MagLED I would go get a 2D or 3D Cree XP-E from Lowe's on Black Friday for $14.97.

The Terralux drop ins are perfect if you already own an incandescent Maglite. If you don't, you're better off buying a MagLED as it should be cheaper than buying a regular 3D Maglite and Terralux drop in. The latest Terralux drop ins use Rebels like the second generation MagLEDs.

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
Forgive the noob question, but how would these CREE Mags work best using Eneloop AA's?

Once the supplied batteries die out I'd like to be able to use the batteries I have on hand.

edpmis02

Enlightened
Forgive the noob question, but how would these CREE Mags work best using Eneloop AA's?

Once the supplied batteries die out I'd like to be able to use the batteries I have on hand.

I use eneloops in my Rebel minimags. They are great just off the charger (1.45v), but dim as the batteries drain (1.30v). I am sure eneloops hold their voltage better than alkalines, and they can be topped off to keep good performance.

krhainos

Newly Enlightened
I have a 3D with Malkoff drop in (I think Cree XP-G), a third generation MagLED 2D with Cree XP-E (483), a 2D TLE-6EXB, a 3D TLE-6EXB, a 4D TLE-6EX, first generation MagLED 3D (Luxeon III), and a second generation MagLED 3D with Rebel (091).

In descending order of subjective brightness and throw: 3D Malkoff, 2D XP-E, tie for 3D Rebel/3D TLE-6EXB/4D TLE-6EX, 2D TLE-6EXB, and 3D Luxeon III.

Most bang for the buck would be the 2D XP-E that I got from Home Depot last week for $14.88. The amount I spent on a 3D incan and Malkoff drop-in is enough to buy 5 2D XP-E from Home Depot!

If you insist on a MagLED I would go get a 2D or 3D Cree XP-E from Lowe's on Black Friday for $14.97.

The Terralux drop ins are perfect if you already own an incandescent Maglite. If you don't, you're better off buying a MagLED as it should be cheaper than buying a regular 3D Maglite and Terralux drop in. The latest Terralux drop ins use Rebels like the second generation MagLEDs.

Thank you for this! This is excellent information.

I figured the Malkoff module would take top honors. I discovered my current 4D has the 1st Luxeon III Mag LED module -- so I'm thinking of swapping that for a TLE-6EX. I think I read the Luxeon III throws out ~90lumen, and the TLE-6EX is advertised at 140lumen.

The Cree 2D/3D units are seriously tempting for keeping in the car though. Especially after you say they beat out any of the TerraLUX dropins.

What advantages/disadvantages does getting a 2D over the 3D have (or vice versa)? If I had to take a guess, the 3D units have longer run time.

Lightwriter

Newly Enlightened
The thing with Terralux is that they don't use the ANSI guidelines when they say "140 lumens". A fine print disclaimer refers to the 140 lumens as the LED manufacturer's rating in that the LED can put out "up to 140 lumens". For the TLE-6EX/B (uses the same Rebel as 2nd generation MagLED) I would assume it's actually closer to 100 lumens as the MagLED Rebels are rated 104 lumens for 3D and 114 lumens for 2D.

If money is no object, get the Malkoff. You may need to get on a waiting list as it's not readily available.

3D would have longer run times.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
You probably won't see any difference between the TLE-6EX and the Luxeon III module, and even more so because TerraLux doesn't use ANSI FL1. Plus, remember that the 2D is going on sale for ~$15 right now, so the TLE-6EX will be more expensive.

As for 2D vs 3D, it's just runtime, so I would go with the 2D because it's smaller.

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
Picked one up from home depot tonight..wow! Way better than the old led mag upgrade I put in my 4 d. I need to return it though..theres a huge scratch running down the side. It'll get banged up for sure,but its brand new!

wildweed

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a 2 D Cree led Maglite the other day for $15 and was impressed with throw and picked up another today. Lol. It runs great on enaloops AAs with the D shell too. I had to use a nickel so the spring would make contact. Great light with impressive throw for $ 15. IMHO.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
As for 2D vs 3D, it's just runtime, so I would go with the 2D because it's smaller.

Didn't someone run a test and the 3D was pulling a lot less power or something? This was with the Rebel. The view of most at the time seemed to state the 3D was hands down better but I could be wrong.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3D has a smaller current draw because battery voltage is higher. Power is the same (roughly), so if voltage is lower, current has to increase.

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
I use eneloops in my Rebel minimags. They are great just off the charger (1.45v), but dim as the batteries drain (1.30v). I am sure eneloops hold their voltage better than alkalines, and they can be topped off to keep good performance.

Do you guys know the input voltage for these 2D CREE Mags? I wonder if the LED could handle 4 AA Eneloops...?

P.S. Aren't AA Eneloops 1.2 volts?

Madcow07

Newly Enlightened
I was at Lowes and Home Depot this morning. The Mini Mag packaging is a bit confusing. See the
pictures below of the front and back of the same package. Regardless of what specs the package states, the cree 483 (2D) and 106 (2AA) are the most current leds? Does anyone know what the specs are for the mini mag with the 106 LED really are?

Click for a big image.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at Lowes and Home Depot this morning. The Mini Mag packaging is a bit confusing. See the
pictures below of the front and back of the same package. Regardless of what specs the package states, the cree 483 (2D) and 106 (2AA) are the most current leds? Does anyone know what the specs are for the mini mag with the 106 LED really are?

Click for a big image.

63 lumens is the old (incorrect) spec for the 2AA with XP-E, 77 lumens is correct.

There are two versions of the D-cell lights with XP-E, one is ~130 lumens and the other is ~110 lumens. The lower output XP-E is newer.

Madcow07

Newly Enlightened
63 lumens is the old (incorrect) spec for the 2AA with XP-E, 77 lumens is correct.

There are two versions of the D-cell lights with XP-E, one is ~130 lumens and the other is ~110 lumens. The lower output XP-E is newer.

Thanks for the info.

I have a 2D rebel now. So is there really any difference between it and the 110 lumen XP-E ? The 2D I looked at today read 114 lumens, 298 meters beam distance. I think that's about the same as my Rebel.

Is there a way to tell between the new and old XP-E? Any idea why Mag lowered the output?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, it's pretty much the same. In fact, you probably won't be able to tell the difference between the 114 and 134 lumen lights anyways.

Less output means longer runtime, so that's probably it. LEDs are more efficient at lower power.

EuroNation

Newly Enlightened
Local Lowes black Friday batch had Cree emitters in the blue 2Ds and black 3Ds only. Everything else was Rebel. 2AAs were all Cree.