Maglite LED now using Cree XP-E

petersmith6

Enlightened
picked a 3 d up when i was on holiday in florida( true flashaholics are Never of the clock) ..thin the emiters is slighly of but is still verry bright.hope it lats as long as it brother..a 3 d original hot wire of abour 25 years. man the beas are worlds apart

tjhabak

Enlightened
Could someone tell me what number is stamped on the XP-E emitter (or post a pic) in the Mini Mag so I can tell if that's what it has before I buy. Thanks. Actually I guess I should ask is it 484, like the D cells.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hwc

Newly Enlightened
Could someone tell me what number is stamped on the XP-E emitter (or post a pic) in the Mini Mag so I can tell if that's what it has before I buy. Thanks. Actually I guess I should ask is it 484, like the D cells.

It looks just like the photo in message #5 on the first page of this thread. The Cree is on the left. Yellow LED in the center of a green square miniature circuit board. The numbers are really tiny and I don't have a magnifying glass, but I believe the number on the new MiniMag module is 106. From the outside of looking down into the reflector, you can only see the center portion of the module - a circle roughly the size of the white portion of the photo. You can see the numbers, but not the black border of the module. You can see the whole thing with the lens/reflector removed and it looks identical to the module in the photo.

The packaging is different, with ULTRA BEAM DISTANCE 163 METERS on the left side over the holster and new ANSI specs on the back. Whether or not the change in packaging necessarily correlates with the Cree LED, I don't know. All I know is what the gray one one I received from Amazon this week looks like.

Mag is really stuck not being able to announce every one of these running changes because of the sheer amount of product they have in the supply chain. Can you imagine making WalMart restock a new item number everytime there is a running change to an LED?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll be better off identifying the emitters than the number...sometimes the plastic is fuzzy and you can't see much of anything except the color (if you see green, it's XP-E).

hwc

Newly Enlightened
Yeah. I can't even see the numbers thru the plastic packaging, let alone read them. However, the Cree emitter and green circuit board is clearly visible, especially if you shine a keychain light down into the reflector.

damn_hammer

Enlightened
i've checked out several mini mag packages ... green=XPE.

does anyone know what colors the 2xaa LED multi-modes come in? i'm only finding grey, and black. looking for a 2xaa in pink, purple, something for a girl which i only see in the old non-LED version.

[edit]

nm, found the answer on the manufacturers site: http://www.maglite.com/packoptions_AALED.asp

black, red, silver, blue, gray, camo

Last edited:

tjhabak

Enlightened
Good to know. Green=XP-E. Thanks for all the replies. I will have to check one out.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know somewhere the XP-E version (minimag) can be ordered online with no risk of getting old stock? I haven't seen any XP-E maglites in the UK but would love to test one out.

hwc

Newly Enlightened
I don't think anybody knows when the change to the Cree emitter took place. The MAG website still doesn't reflect the new ANSI specs on the packaging of the MiniMag LED.

Bigsurprise

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a 3D LED camo from Home Depot online, and just got it today. It has the newer 484 CREE XP-E in it in case anyone was wondering. It is in the older style packaging with no lumens or distance on it. It looks like it has been through quite a journey too.

samd

Newly Enlightened
I see this thread is getting a little old, but I couldn't find any information on whether these newer xp-e D-cell Maglites heat up really fast and lower their output. I'm looking for a long-running flashlight and am torn between the newer but more expensive C-cell Maglites (ML100) and these older but cheaper D Maglites.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no difference in the construction of LED D-cell models, so I would expect it to be the similar. Does C-cell or D-cell not make a difference? C-cell models are more compact, but it's not a common battery size (I use AA's in adapters).

I plan to make runtime graphs for the ML100 and ML125, but it won't be for a couple weeks. Maglite is out of ML100's at the moment because of holiday season demand. Heatsinking is better in the ML-series, but you'll still have sagging alkaline voltage.

samd

Newly Enlightened
I am leaning toward the ML100 if the heatsinking is not improved in the D-cell models. I see that there are C-cell LSD NiMh batteries available now. I would probably use those as well as AA Eneloops in adapters. For some reason, I do not want to run more than two batteries in a flashlight, regardless of size. It just seems like more to juggle/organize. And I like the idea of being able to run two types of batteries.

I look forward to your runtime graphs.

mtnwalker

Newly Enlightened
I have a 3D and 4D first generation set of flashlights......I have newer, smaller LED lights now that are brighter and don't have the lack of heatsink issues.....these older lights with those older dropin LED bulbs.......I use them as "lanterns" now when I camp at my cabin.....I unscrew the heads and hang them from the ceiling/exposed rafters..(and of course they can still pull double duty as originally intended...as a longrunning flashlight...even if brightness does suffer some after a period of use...)....they are brighter and much more efficient on batteries than my other lanterns that used flourescent tubes.........(which periodically need to be replaced...).....just offering an idea to camping enthusiasts......
I do wish mag would improve the heatsink on those lights though....

Lightwriter

Newly Enlightened
I see this thread is getting a little old, but I couldn't find any information on whether these newer xp-e D-cell Maglites heat up really fast and lower their output. I'm looking for a long-running flashlight and am torn between the newer but more expensive C-cell Maglites (ML100) and these older but cheaper D Maglites.

If you go into a Home Depot store and look around in the gift ideas section (various gift packs) there may be a Maglite specific display with 2D MagLEDs with the Cree XP-E for $15.88 (though it rang up as $14.88 plus tax for me). My local Home Depot had them in black, blue, red, and gray. They come with 2 Duracell D batteries. They may not be in the regular flashlight aisle so be sure to look around near the checkout, customer service, or entrance/exit of the store.

See this thread at the marketplace for more info:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?258263-2D-MagLED-at-Home-Depot

ssvqwnp

Newly Enlightened
I got one of those $14.88 2D XP-E blue Mags yesterday. They were on sale, but today was the last day for it... I expect them to be on sale again after Thanksgiving, though, with Black Friday and all... I also must be a bad influence, because the girl I was with ended up getting one too, and we were there for a pipe snake. :devil:

I have to say, it is far brighter and more of a thrower than I expected. Almost as good as my Masterpiece Pro-1. I think with a glass lens, it might help even more -- it certainly did with my XM-L MAG-Mod.

Last edited:

eeagle7

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a MagLite 2D LED from HD for $14.88 as well.

It has the CREE XPE 483 LED.

Package advertises 8hr @ 134 Lumens & 388M throw.

I think MagLite is back in the competition at this price point.

I especially like the warm incandescent looking adjustable beam too

Newly Enlightened
I also picked one up. There were 2 types of packaging for the same $14.88 sale, one showing 388M with 134 lumens and the other 298M with 114 lumens. Lowes will have the 2D and 3D LEDs for sale next week for about $15 each. The AA LED mini mag also will go on sale then for about $11.

Last edited:

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite LED Now Using Cree XP-E

I guess I need to go shopping very soon!

Latest posts