Maglite Pro 2D LED

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
It'll ber another year before Canada sees half this stuff. You'd think they were coming by sled dogs.....
You got to be joking. Canada does not get stuff until they are discontinued in the US. With the slow pace of Mag development it will be years.

Where in Canada did you get your 3d Rebel?
I managed a 3W upgrade bulb for my 2C. That was it.
Last time I was in Crappy Tire they had incan 2D, 3D, Minimag (the 1986 model year version).
I saw a 2D LED at Home Depot. Do not know which version. Hard to ID the LED through the blister pack.

I finally gave up and got a MM Pro at zbattery. Plus an accessory kit. Customs prepaid so I do not have a surprise customs brokerage fee. (zbattery was out of the Pro+ at the time.)
The MM Pro is brighter than my Quark MiNi 2AA (180 lumens).
The MM Pro is dimmer than my Quark Tactical 2AA X (280 lumens).
So I think the 225 lumen rating is more or less accurate.

-----

BTW how hard is it for you to get to High Park in Toronto? The Toronto gang is starting to hold meetings again.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Toronto-and-Area-Meet-CONFIRMED-9-13-2012-7PM

Up All Night

Enlightened
I would agree about the "slow sled" to Canada for Mag products, but there may be hope. Just weeks after someone posted about the Cree upgrade(a long time ago) I found 3D Cree Mags at Home Depot in Toronto. You can identify the emitters if you angle the package. I see 3D Cree and Rebel Mags at many GTA Home Depot stores.

Raptor Factor

Newly Enlightened
This is on brightguy.com now. Would appreciate someone reviewing. Question: Why do Maglite's new products take so long to get on their website after production (Mag Tac, 2D Pro etc.)?

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
Interesting:

Mag Lite LED Specs: Distance: 388m, 134Lumen, 37567 Candela, 8hr run time.
Mag Lite Pro Specs: Distance: 366m, 274Lumens, 33560 Candela, 12

Have ansi specs changed or something? I would think a brighter light would throw farther. :confused:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting:

Mag Lite LED Specs: Distance: 388m, 134Lumen, 37567 Candela, 8hr run time.
Mag Lite Pro Specs: Distance: 366m, 274Lumens, 33560 Candela, 12

Have ansi specs changed or something? I would think a brighter light would throw farther. :confused:

Surface brightness dictates throw. Sheer output helps, but the more light per square mm the further it will throw. So, the XP-g may be "brighter" but only on output, not surface brightness.

Retinator

Enlightened
I found my 3d rebel a couple of years ago at Lowes.

When everything is out I will be ordering (from US) :

Solitare LED
2-AAA Mini LED
2D Pro
ML 100 2 C-cell version
MM Pro +

I'll just wait till they're all out and pay 1 shipping cost, then I'll be good for a year or two.

The problem here in Canada isn't just the wait, the friggin prices are 50% or more higher and our dollar is roughly on par. Retail here really sucks.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surface brightness dictates throw. Sheer output helps, but the more light per square mm the further it will throw. So, the XP-g may be "brighter" but only on output, not surface brightness.

Yep, just look at any XM-L vs XP-G variant of the same light (selfbuilts reviews). The XM-Ls might put out 50-80% more lumens, but lux and throw are usually a lot lower than the smaller emitters.

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
I would think Mag would want to select an LED that's well suited for throwing, as the D-Cell lights are known for tight throws. I'm eager to see side by side beam shots. Right now, the 2D Pro doesn't look like it's worth it unless you don't have a Mag D already. Perhaps real-world performance will justify the upgrade.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had issues-a-rama with Maglites since they changed the design of the internals. I simply don't trust them anymore.
3 models of 2D - all failed. My ML 100 is acting flakey and flickering. I'll stick to my smaller than a 2D Maglite, Fenix TK-50.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I started to get excited about this Pro 2D LED; But at $40 retail, that's a bit steep. If it's on sale at Lowe's or Home Depot next month on Black Friday for 1/2 off MSRP, I may buy it. It'd be interesting to compare ceiling bounce tests between the 134 lumen 2D vs. this new one. Wondering if I could discern the difference in brightness to the naked eye from the extra 140 lumens?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite Pro 2D

Since we don't have a thread for this light yet, I'm going to start one. :)

Maglite Pro 2D LED
  • Output: 274 lumens
  • Intensity: 33,560 candela
  • Runtime: 12h 45min
  • Battery: 2 x D-cell
  • Length: 10″
  • Diameter: 2.25″ bezel, 1.6″ body
  • Weight with Batteries: 23 oz.
  • MSRP: $35.99-39.99

Pro_2D_Runtime.png

I will make a runtime graph for alkaline batteries, but it won't be until December because I need to get some batteries.

EDIT: Runtime graph with alkalines:

Pro_2D_Runtime.png

Last edited:

StudFreeman

Enlightened
Re: Maglite Pro 2D

Big ups for all the runtime graphs you do. It appears like it's supposed to ramp down to 50% output followed by a drop to 40%? Do you think you'll eventually have time to do a duty cycle runtime like you did for the ML100 (specifically the 2C)?

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast

It peaks then drops instantly, so I probably won't do any duty cycle testing because it will take too much time. :eek:

MT7

Newly Enlightened

It peaks then drops instantly, so I probably won't do any duty cycle testing because it will take too much time. :eek:

thank you very much for the graphs, look like a great flashlight,I think I will buy it. I can't wait for the review,but are you sure you can't do runtime graph for alkaline batteries until december? it's a lot of time and I want to know how much the flashlight stays bright enough for me (regulation)
and another question- if I turn off the flashlight and turn it on again, is the brightness always become 100% (274 lumens) again? or is it come back with the same brightness as before I turned it off?
thanks advance...

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast

It will reset if you turn it off (just like the XL- and ML-series).

50% is well over 100 lumens, so it should still be plenty bright.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast

LED-Resource is non-commercial and doesn't generate advertisement revenue, so I don't have a budget for purchasing batteries. Energizer sponsors Ultimate Lithium batteries for our runtime tests, and alkalines are usually included in the packaging or otherwise provided by the manufacturer. I don't want to ask Maglite to send some batteries seperately because it was my fault for not requesting them with the order (forgot that most of their D-cell lights don't come with batteries).

I have some D-cells that came with my 3D LED, but those are at home and I am out of town, returning in December. If the Solitaire LED is available before then, I will ask for some batteries when they send that light. Sorry to keep you guys waiting... :ohgeez:

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened

LED-Resource is non-commercial and doesn't generate advertisement revenue, so I don't have a budget for purchasing batteries. Energizer sponsors Ultimate Lithium batteries for our runtime tests, and alkalines are usually included in the packaging or otherwise provided by the manufacturer. I don't want to ask Maglite to send some batteries seperately because it was my fault for not requesting them with the order (forgot that most of their D-cell lights don't come with batteries).

I have some D-cells that came with my 3D LED, but those are at home and I am out of town, returning in December. If the Solitaire LED is available before then, I will ask for some batteries when they send that light. Sorry to keep you guys waiting... :ohgeez:

Good point, I never noticed you didn't have any advertising until you mentioned it. Makes me appreciate LED Resource even more since it's a labor of love.

Have a safe trip!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks! TSA always takes an extra minute or two to examine my carry-on...they once thought Ultimate Lithium AAA's were assault rifle bullets... :rolleyes:

kj2

Flashaholic

Great to see that Maglite is catching up :)
To bad though, that the lumens are way low. What type of led is in it?