Maglite Pro 2D LED

aa6ww

Newly Enlightened
We'll, surprisingly, my Maglight Pro 2D Cell's have just arrived from ZBatterys. I bought a total of 4 of them, some to keep in a few bedrooms at home, and to give a few as gifts for Christmas. These all claim to have the Ultra Bright 274 Lumen LED which claims 12 hrs and 45 minutes of run time. Looking down at the LED, the numbers on it say 015 and the writing on the bezel says MAGLITE® LEDPRO. Using some Duracell Ultra Alkaline batteries, it seems to be just ever so slightly brighter than my MAGLITE® LED 2-Cell D Flashlight which is advertised to put out 134 lumens of light for 8 hrs, which that model has the 484 markings on the LED. You really have to look and play with the beams and put them on some flat open walls to see the difference but its there. Outside, it seems to throw about the same with either model.
Surprisingly, the MAGLITE® LED 3-Cell D Flashlight I also have which claims 131 Lumens and 79 hrs of run time, having the 484 markings on its LED seems to be identical in brightness and throw.
I really tried to convince myself that the new LED PRO was brighter than my former 3D LED model but its not. It sees to be identical in every way in performance to my 3D LED 131 Lumen model.

I tried this on two new 2D LED PRO flashlights against two 2D MAGLITE® LED 134 lumen models and also against two 3D MAGLITE® LED 131 lumen models and the results are the same.

I guess what we're getting is almost 5 more hrs of "claimed" run time on the new LED PRO 2D 274 Lumen model vs the 134 Lumen LED Model from before which isn't a bad deal and just slightly more light output.

For the record, my 260 Lumen 6D Malkoff Cree XP-G LED upgrade will out throw this new 274 lumen Maglight Pro 2D with no problem at all, but for an up close light when walking around my house or yard, the new Maglight Pro 2D is a brighter white light where the Malkoff has just a tint of green in the beam.

If this new 2D LED PRO had a low setting and a strobe also, similar to my 2C MAGLITE® ML100™ LED, it would definitely be a nice upgrade over the 134 lumen model, especially if it had memory. That would make it an even more desirable glove box emergency flashlight over what it already is and a perfect nightstand flashlight with the lower setting. The new LED PRO 2D clearly outshines the 2C MAGLITE® ML100™ LED, for the record.

I love Maglights because they are classic, simple and rock solid, and these new LED's make them extremely desirable for the price. I also prefer the simplicity of using standard Alkaline batteries in all of them. My new Gray color Maglight Pro 2D is a very handsome looking flashlight!!

......Ralph in Sacramento

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkaline runtime test completed.

Pro_2D_Runtime.png

lightinsky

Enlightened
Alkaline runtime test completed.

I totally agree with your writings and findings. I had the 2D Pro but returned it since I didn't think it was that much brighter than the 3D Led cree prior version with 131 lumens.

Also note that I had the mini maglite 2AA Pro and Pro Plus which I gifted to someone. I just picked up a dual pack of 2 mini mag 5 mode that say 77 lumens on high. You know what I think they are more like 139 lumens like the XL50 since I didn't see a much brigher light in the mini mag 2AA Pro version compared with the 5 mode 77 lumen one.

I don't know what Mag is doing but I don't think they hit a home run with the Pro and Pro Plus offerings since I think theire lumens claims are out of whack.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't say for sure, but I know that their output ratings are at least in the ballpark. Between different beam patterns and non-linear brightness perception, increased output may not appear to be as significant.

The biggest difference between the Pro 2D and D-cell LED lights (as well as the ML100) is the size of the hotspot. The XP-E based lights have fairly small hotspots, which can cause a lot of glare when used indoors.

magnum70383

Enlightened
i have a bunch of tenergy 10000mah d cells and im looking for a flashlight to fill them up. Will this flashlight do the trick?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Maglite Pro 2D

Was this intentional in an effort to help conserve battery life or..? Just seems odd to me.

Judging by the the setup and performance of my 3D Mag LED, I would say that the reason for this is thermal. Probably the BIGGEST problem with the LED Mags is that they lack sufficient heatsinking. This may seem a little perverted, given the fact that they have a nice, large aluminum body with which to dissipate heat to the environment. But it would appear that their steadfast insistance on keeping the cammed focusing system that harkens back to the incandescent days means that the LED most move when focused. And, as a result, it can't be mounted on a large pill that is in thermal contact with the body. I can tell you from first-hand experience that the LED on my 3D gets REALLY hot REALLY fast! And I would suspect that the Pro is no different. Simply put, it probably HAS to power down.

In the end, the ONLY way to get a properly heat-sinked LED in a Maglite is to go Malkoff. It may cost more. And you obviously lose the cammed focusing. But if you want something that actually holds its brightness, this is THE way to go.

TJIANG

Newly Enlightened
aa6ww said:
I tried this on two new 2D LED PRO flashlights against two 2D MAGLITE® LED 134 lumen models and also against two 3D MAGLITE® LED 131 lumen models and the results are the same.

Oww, the results are the same :duh2:

By the way, I am still new here, can I ask what is the difference between all of these 4 MAGLITE 2D ?
( exluding the MAGLITE PRO 2D )

599198_442434612497923_1328756151_n.jpg

StudFreeman

Enlightened
TJIANG,

1. The leftmost 2D uses an incandescent bulb (i.e. the original Maglite).
  2. The 2D left of center was Mag's first LED offering--it came with a Luxeon III LED mounted in a PR-flange bulb that was simply switched out for the old incandescent bulb.
  3. The center light was the first generation of redesigned MagLEDs that had a new switch tower to accommodate a deeper LED reflector and slightly improved heatsinking, permitting the use of a more powerful Luxeon Rebel emitter.
  4. Mag 2D Pro with XP-G emitter
  5. The 2D on the far right has the same features as the light in the middle, but has a slightly more efficient Cree XP-E along with a buck-boost driver that may be different than the driver in the older, aforementioned Rebel 2D.
I hope that helps. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I'm not sure the issue of a very quick drop in output is thermal only, using 2D Alkalines, and it is probably due to the high resistance of the D cells. Try 2 NiMh D cells, and see what happens. If the extreme drop in output still occurs, then we can probably say that it is poor heat sinking.

Bill

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If timed then it might be similar to the ICON line of flashlights, where the light steps down in 10 minutes, and will start up a highest level when turned off then on. Very neat feature of the ICON's.

Bill

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a 2D Mag with around the same output as the Mag Pro, just get an incandescent 2D Mag (if you don't already have one lying around), and get a Malkoff 2D XP-G2 drop-in ($39 plus shipping). That will get you 270 OTF lumens with good heatsinking. And it WON'T drop down in output for ANY reason other the batteries going dead. It probably won't cost too much more (especially if you already have the host). And you'll have a MUCH better light. The only thing you will have to give up is the cammed focusing system (you can still focus, but not as quickly). However, the cammed focusing system is the reason why stock LED Mags have such poor thermal management in the first place.

Last edited:

bnemmie

Enlightened
TJIANG,

1. The leftmost 2D uses an incandescent bulb (i.e. the original Maglite).
  2. The 2D left of center was Mag's first LED offering--it came with a Luxeon III LED mounted in a PR-flange bulb that was simply switched out for the old incandescent bulb.
  3. The center light was the first generation of redesigned MagLEDs that had a new switch tower to accommodate a deeper LED reflector and slightly improved heatsinking, permitting the use of a more powerful Luxeon Rebel emitter.
  4. Mag 2D Pro with XP-G emitter
  5. The 2D on the far right has the same features as the light in the middle, but has a slightly more efficient Cree XP-E along with a buck-boost driver that may be different than the driver in the older, aforementioned Rebel 2D.
I hope that helps. :thumbsup:

Thats really useful information. I was wondering the same thing a while ago when I picked up a 2D to live in my truck. Good on ya for breaking it down like that.

Phry

Banned
The runtime graph of this light is a joke. Typical Maglite.

The ANSI standard is a really good way to mislead people if they don't know what that means, and Maglite sure are keen to do just that it appears!

270 lumens, but oh, only for about two minutes! Pathetic.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The runtime graph of this light is a joke. Typical Maglite.

The ANSI standard is a really good way to mislead people if they don't know what that means, and Maglite sure are keen to do just that it appears!

270 lumens, but oh, only for about two minutes! Pathetic.

Like I said, if you like the 2D Mag form factor, go Incandescent and get a Malkoff drop-in. You get 270 lumens without a stupid step-down in light output. I'm not sure what kind of runtime you would get. But my 2C with the same drop-in runs around three hours on two Tenergy Centura C cells. So you would probably get around six hours of runtime from two D cells (which have about double the capacity of C cells).

OrangeSlice

Newly Enlightened
Like I said, if you like the 2D Mag form factor, go Incandescent and get a Malkoff drop-in. You get 270 lumens without a stupid step-down in light output. I'm not sure what kind of runtime you would get. But my 2C with the same drop-in runs around three hours on two Tenergy Centura C cells. So you would probably get around six hours of runtime from two D cells (which have about double the capacity of C cells).

I've seen a lot of D-cells with amenic mAH ratings- capacity like a repackaged AA battery. Y'all probably already know this, but make sure you check the mAH rating on the cell.

OS