Maglite Pro 2D LED

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Maglite Pro 2D

4 hours runtime??? that is well under claimed 10+, and it drops to 50% after 15-20min??? that is even worst.

could it be so cuz the nimh have 1,2v?? i hope it does a lot better with alkalines.
otherwise i see no advantage over regular magled2d.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm using NiMH AA's in the light, so the capacity is much less than alkaline D-cells. With alkalines, I would expect it to hover in the 30-40% range for 10 hours...

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm using NiMH AA's in the light, so the capacity is much less than alkaline D-cells. With alkalines, I would expect it to hover in the 30-40% range for 10 hours...
ok, that makes sense now.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Robin, curious it looks like the out drops after about 3 mins (to gain ANSI FL1 rating I suspect). But how does the Pro compare to a regular 2D LED Maglite, say after 6 - 10 mins continuous use? Do the Pro still manage to out gun the regular model or offer up a more level regulation over it's run time. Or is it's only advantage the first 3 mins? Thanks.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast

It should be similar because 50% is equivalent to 137 lumens. Since peak beam intensity of the 2D LED and Pro 2D are similar, that means the Pro 2D's hotspot is bigger and will not be as bright once it reduces to 50%.

I would say that the bigger hotspot is its biggest advantage. Both the 2D/3D LED and ML100 have really tiny hotspots because they use an XP-E and large reflectors, and small hotspots aren't so great for practical use.

Last edited:

StudFreeman

Enlightened

It will reset if you turn it off (just like the XL- and ML-series).
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
In other words the 2D Pro's electronics are programmed to give full output every time it is turned on, with the condition that the battery is not depleted beyond a low-voltage threshold. Yes?

It'd be cool to see runtimes of Mag's various LED lights plotted together, on NiMH cells for sanity's sake of course :duh2:[/FONT]

StudFreeman

Enlightened
I think the major thing the 2x extra lumens impacts is the size of the hotspot and corona (much bigger than XP-E Mag). Something to note about the 2D Pro's specs: the XP-G in this light must put out twice the lumens of an XP-E to achieve the same surface brightness. Its FL-1 rating says it has about double the output of the XP-E D-cell Mags, while its beam intensity is just in between the 3D and 2D XP-E Maglites. Maths!

Last edited:

Beckler

Enlightened
I think people are forgetting a huge benefit of this light is that you can focus the beam. This is pretty much unheard of and would be extremely useful, as would a number of other obvious features that no one is implementing. There's very little innovation going on in flashlights right now except steadily increasing LED output.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
What's the quality of the beam pattern? Does it have a donut hole? Does it have a bright center but really dim corona? etc.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't got this exact light, but I do have an XP-G drop in Mag. Based on this yes is the answer, but it's focusable, so you can create a really tight hot spot for max throw, or you can widen it out for less throw but a bigger area or to an extreme that then creates a donut hole much enlarges the spill beam area.

Subie J

Newly Enlightened

I'm pretty new to the candle forums and graphs/flashlight lingo in general. Per the graph, this light drops 50% (or more) of it's output just 5 to 10 minutes?

Subie J

Newly Enlightened

Was this intentional in an effort to help conserve battery life or..? Just seems odd to me.

aa6ww

Newly Enlightened
I noticed this light is for sale on REI and Home Depot's websites. Has anyone bought it? Seems like a great light for less than $40 and 270 lumens.

I've also been curious about this particular 2D Mag light at 274 lumens and the few sites that seem to carry them say they wont be available until Dec 31st, 2012. Everything right now is either saying "currently out of stock" or listing the 274 lumen 2D Mag light but the photos are showing the 134 lumen model in 2D, which isn't bad since I have a few of these and the 3D models.

Sit tight and wait till the end of the year. it seems they will be out but aren't quite ready to release them, just yet! Another few weeks at best and they should start shipping the 274 models. Since this is the 4th generation of LED, just be very suspicious of whats out there online right now. You could be getting just about anything right now.

I'd wait till they are definitely on the market and it's obvious that its the 274 lumen model.

Happy Holidays.

... Ralph in Sacramento

betweenrides

Newly Enlightened
I've also been curious about this particular 2D Mag light at 274 lumens and the few sites that seem to carry them say they wont be available until Dec 31st, 2012. Everything right now is either saying "currently out of stock" or listing the 274 lumen 2D Mag light but the photos are showing the 134 lumen model in 2D, which isn't bad since I have a few of these and the 3D models.

Sit tight and wait till the end of the year. it seems they will be out but aren't quite ready to release them, just yet! Another few weeks at best and they should start shipping the 274 models. Since this is the 4th generation of LED, just be very suspicious of whats out there online right now. You could be getting just about anything right now.

I'd wait till they are definitely on the market and it's obvious that its the 274 lumen model.

Happy Holidays.

... Ralph in Sacramento

Probably good advice, Ralph. It took 8 months or so for the Mini Maglite Pro to start appearing at retail. However, ZBattery is showing it in stock right not online.