MagLite vs The World - Round 1

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the mini mag still. TTS has an updated LED module (xpg-2)for them that is 180L high and I think 55L low. I got one and I like it. It even came with another reflector.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in the day, I thought nothing of carrying a old sprinkler pipe 4D Mag...always thought it was a good compromise in size and performance between the longer and shorter incan D cell Mags.

When CR123A cells became a thing, a 2C Mag with a 6 cell xenon PR bulb running on 3 of the little camera batteries was a great way to get high performance in a lightweight/compact package.

Now a days, I like the 2 and 3 C ML25's and ML50's - the grips on these are much more comfortable and secure than smaller 18650 or CR123A lights. And using 21700's in adapters makes them light weight with long run times.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When claimed lumen numbers were rising faster than the US deficeit meter ole Tony comes out with a sub-200 lumen maxi-minimag 😱. ML25.
Even more strange, there were 2 incan versions available! For those who tried them out it was an amazing light to behold. Even the 30 lumen incan number threw out photons like a much brighter flashlight. But that's what made a Maglite a Maglite back in the day. And what made the ML25 a success in the height of the lumen wars.

My first one in 016 was serial numbered in the 10,000's, like 14xxx or something. A year later the ones at WalMart were serial numbered over 600,000. I suppose by now they've sold a million.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I like the 3C size. Just feels right.
There was a time that I had a Maglite in each car. Three 3D mags, and one 3C mag. Currently I only know where one 3D mag lives. I did like the way the 3C light felt in the hand.

I also have a Mini Maglite Pro +. It is currently hidden away in a box somewhere. The last time I moved, many lights got boxed up for travel, and they haven't been opened.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still keep 6d in my car, the same one that survived being flooded by the Sandy, after sitting in about 2 feet of floodwaters for half a night it had not a drop of water inside. The car did not make it thou, I did upgrade it with tle 300, an ancient 3 xre module, which throws surprisingly well. thou illumination is its secondary function.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great video. Looking forward to the next one. I'm contemplating my next Mag. Think I may pick up a warm white mini mag AA, but If that model still has the donut hole I'd be bummed. Also wish the ml50l/lx was available in warm white cause that's a great light with improved beam. The warm led would make it outstanding in my opinion.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ML25 is neat. The 2C version with a 6 cell bulb on two 26500s runs well for me. Compact package. Just wish someone made a alu reflector for them.
IMG_4045.jpg

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
The 3C was (and still is) the easiest carrying "big" flashlight for me. The newest LED puts out a LOT of light and just feels right in my hand (to be fair, I carried one for many years as a police officer)

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think I may pick up a warm white mini mag AA, but If that model still has the donut hole I'd be bummed.
I have cool white 2AA minimag, 2 of them actually. with rebel led, and xpg2, pretty sure it will act the same way with warm version, there is a hole when you make the beam wider, but when you focus it to a narrow beam, there isn't. spot to flood adjustment is even more useless than with bulb version. Basically it is only useful in "spot" mode, and candle mode, also the beam is not artifacts free even focused, but they are only visible on a white wall, for real world use, the beam in narrow setting is pretty smooth.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks alpg. The newer lights with shorter throw got rid of the donut hole altogether. Bummer that the minimags haven't gotten there yet. The new ones show multiple output. I'm assuming twist on, off, and back on to get to low? Any idea of output on low?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks alpg. The newer lights with shorter throw got rid of the donut hole altogether. Bummer that the minimags haven't gotten there yet. The new ones show multiple output. I'm assuming twist on, off, and back on to get to low? Any idea of output on low?
Yep, it is high, low, beacon, sos, 4 modes, twist on twist off, the difference between low and high is not that great actually, you will see the difference when you switch between modes, but when it is on, you may not be able to tell right away. thou my minimag is around 5 years old, maybe they changed something since then, maybe not.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The 3C was (and still is) the easiest carrying "big" flashlight for me. The newest LED puts out a LOT of light and just feels right in my hand (to be fair, I carried one for many years as a police officer)
The 3C and the Streamlight Stinger were very similar in size. Both were very popular in the LEO realm. I suppose many Stingers were department issued.

A22901C6-797C-4DF0-A627-787C4AE85F0F.jpeg

This is the highest S/N ML25 I own. A 2019 version

This is a fun thread. Thank you CD

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
My old man, when he was in the Navy, told me once that Maglite 3D and 4Ds were by far the MPs and LEO's favorite carry because they served as a light AND a baton. The way you held the light allowed them to shine and immediately strike as necessary, lol.

With series of small and powerful lights these days, I suppose they can only serve to 'light' things.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3C ML25 is very close to the same size as the standard Stinger.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
If maglite installed 800-900lm led module into 2c twisty body, and ran it off 18650 in the adapter they are celling now, it would be the best maglite that could compete with modern 18650 lights.