MagLite Vs The World - Round 2

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The updated 2D classic is a bit over 200 lumens, has a several hours runtime and an optional low that appears nearly as bright but has like 10x the run time of high.
When it first came out in 019 Grainger hardware store was the only place to buy it and only available in black but now Maglite sells it at their site in several colors. Classic 2D only better.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The updated 2D classic is a bit over 200 lumens, has a several hours runtime and an optional low that appears nearly as bright but has like 10x the run time of high.
When it first came out in 019 Grainger hardware store was the only place to buy it and only available in black but now Maglite sells it at their site in several colors. Classic 2D only better.
I got mine at target when they first came out. At first I didn't see much of a point to the (20%/43 lumen) low mode because, inside at least, it was hard to tell it from full power. Take it outside and you can tell the difference at a distance and you also get the much increased runtime, but I would like it better if they changed it to 10%/21 lumens - even at this level it still would be a couple lumens brighter than the old 2D with a krypton bulb.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red or orange makes any flashlight at least twice as cool. At least.
I remember seeing a red ml50lx for sale at some point. Now that was a cool looking light.
The LX's were crimson red type 3 ano'd, more of a blood red than the standard fire engine looking type 2 anodized red.

Of the standard colors, I always thought that blue ones looked the coolest when new (but not after they got scuffed up).

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blue is really pretty but scratches easy. Crimson LX is over the top. Just my opinion.
Well, I think its rad.
Cool.png

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds about right, D is a lot more popular.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's a 2D from Maglite's site earlier this year. They show is separate from the 'normal' colored 2D incans. [At some point I'm going to see if the updated classic LED light assembly (or the 168 lumen one) can directly swap with the midnight blue light assembly.]

I read 3D was even more popular than 2D back in the day.
It seems D cell lights were way more popular than C cell lights back then.

Back in 018 or 019 (iirc) I bought a 3D ML300 and 3C ML50 from Sprawl Mart. The C was 52,xxx. The D was 199,xxx. They both sit next to eeach other in my LED Maglite collection.

I like the 3C better myself but perhaps the masses go for the larger size.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a 2D from Maglite's site earlier this year. They show is separate from the 'normal' colored 2D incans. [At some point I'm going to see if the updated classic LED light assembly (or the 168 lumen one) can directly swap with the midnight blue light assembly.]

I read 3D was even more popular than 2D back in the day.
It seems D cell lights were way more popular than C cell lights back then.

Back in 018 or 019 (iirc) I bought a 3D ML300 and 3C ML50 from Sprawl Mart. The C was 52,xxx. The D was 199,xxx. They both sit next to eeach other in my LED Maglite collection.

I like the 3C better myself but perhaps the masses go for the larger size.
I haven't tried it, but I think it would probably work. You would need to swap the switch with the LED module for the incan switch assembly.

Back in the incan dayz C cell Mags wern't all that popular combared to D's, but now that we have LED's the C cells are becoming more popular, but I guess the D cell models still out sell the C's.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. My 3C is 32,7xx,xxx
Its a krypton from between 2003-09.

The 3 indicates a 3 cell light, the rest of the numbers are the serial, so yours is 2.7 million, with in about 200,000 of mine purchased in 2020 (probably made a few years before that).

Latest posts