Maglite XL200

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Enjoy the light. Hope you find it as useful as I do mine.

And since you're new here let me be among the first to say hold tight to your wallet and/or say goodbye to your paycheck.

hwc

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

Enjoy the light. Hope you find it as useful as I do mine.

And since you're new here let me be among the first to say hold tight to your wallet and/or say goodbye to your paycheck.

Thanks. I think I can keep it in check. I actually was just looking at drop in LED upgrades for a few old MiniMags and a 3-cell D MagLite. But, in pricing the upgrade kits, it became pretty obvious that just buying a couple new lights made more sense. The XL200 completely replaces the 3D for my purposes -- I'm not looking to go up the side of someone's head with a flashlight and I don't need super long run time. The XL200 is more than bright enough for anything I could do with it and a lot easier to hold than a Mag 3D. I actually never liked the D cell configuration because it's the only thing I own that doesn't take NiMH rechargables.

The little simple MiniMag LED replaces one of the old MiniMags for the car. Nothing fancy, don't need a torch. Just enough to find the spare tire at night. I thought about an XL50 for that, but I've got a mountain of AAs, including a bunch of Duraloops, so the AA configuration was good for me.

The little Fenix just seemed like such a perfect keychain light. That actually would be a perfect configuration for a Mag LED keychain light. Single AAA. One setting, simple on-off, flood lens, with Solitaire styling. Maybe $12.95.

hwc

Newly Enlightened
Here's a simple tip. I wanted to program my XL200 to default to something less than full torch mode, because that level of light is simply not necessary around the house. It occured to me that there's a fairly simple way to guesstimate pretty close to 50% power.

If you set the default power well below 50% and then go to NiteLite mode, NiteLite will go to 50% power instead of the lower default. Shine that on a wall, get an idea of the size of the hot spot, then go back to regular mode and adjust the default power until it is a close visual match to that. Voila, a 50% default setting. It's not exact, but it's close enough. And half power (about 85 lumens) seems to be pretty good all purpose compromise between light output and battery life.

Danielsan

Enlightened
I cant see what is so good about this light, i mean its cheap and you can dimm it, those are indeed great functions and i think this light is not so bad. On the other hand this light is very wide and long for AAA battery format, so the main advantage of the tiny size from AAA batteries is gone. I mean there are lights with 2xAAA like 4 Sevens Preon2 which are shorter and much slimmer, same price and you have tons of 1xAA lights which are also shorter and slimmer, most of them have 140 Lumen so the difference is not so big. Preon 2 2AA has 160 Lumen. Why Mag-Lite dont use 4xAAA? Anyway the wider and longer size is a bit too big for edc, thats why i use 1xAAA or 1xAA lights as EDC and 4XAA around the house. The new ZL Q50 will use 4XAA and its shorter then this light and it will do 800 Lumen

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems to me that there are a couple of reasons why I am excited about this light.

1. I'm excited to see a light with a new clever, yet elegant UI. The XL50 was the same old UI as the multimode minimag. The XL100 had a UI that might have worked well with practice, but just screamed "over-engineered gimmick" to me. The XL200 UI seems to make nicer use of the technology from the XL100.

2. I'm excited to see a competitive light from Maglite. I have a soft spot for the company since they made the lights that I loved growing up. My most treasured light is still a beat-up purple 2xAA minimag my wife gave me when we got married.

I'm disappointed, but not surprised that they used the 3xAAA platform. It sells better than 1xAA lights in big box stores because it's large enough to perceived by the uneducated public as being a "real" flashlight rather than the "toy" 1xAA lights. From a marketing perspective, size does matter. At least for now. On the plus side, 3xAAA lights can often be trivially converted to use 18650 cells if you're so inclined.

--flatline

Last edited:

hwc

Newly Enlightened
Some of the light output numbers quoted above from Chinese factories are not ANSI standard and thus are not directly comparable. Fenix has started using ANSI standard measurements for some of its newer lights so lets compare:

Fenix LD25 (2 x AA): $50 street price
Mag XL200 (3 x AAA): $40 street price

Fenix LD25 (2 x AA): 180 max lumens
Mag XL200 (3 x AAA): 172 max lumens

Fenix LD25 (2 x AA): 3545 candela max intensity
Mag XL200 (3 x AAA): 4737 candela max intensity

Fenix LD25 (2 x AA): 119 meter throw
Mag XL200 (3 x AAA): 138 meter throw

Fenix LD25 (2 x AA): 1" wide by 6.5" long
Mag XL200 (3 x AAA): 1" wide by 4.8" long

Modes: basically the same except that MAG has infinitely variable light output, infinitely variable strobe, a default that can be set to any level, and a nitelight function that dims the light when it is put down.

Now, I would say that the Fenix is a heavier duty light and probably a better choice for rugged outdoor use. But, if you are looking for a flashlight to put in a purse or the kitchen drawer or the glove box, then the Mag is the same brightness, almost 2 inches shorter, costs $10 less, and has a very cool user interface. The MAG is small enough to carry in my pocket. A 2AA is really not. The 1AA Fenix that can be carried in a pocket is only 100 lumens (ANSI) max.

Or, for $5 less than the MAG XL200,, you can get the 2AA E21. A little less output (150 lumens). Still 1.7 inches longer. And, has only two fixed light outputs and no extra features.

For a general purpose household duty flashlight, the MAG XL200 is competitive with both of those products, plus being US made with fantastic warranty support.

If you are running them with NiMH rechargeables, the battery issue is largely irrelevant as you will probably own and recharge both AA and AAA for general household use. For example, I have AAA eneloops for high drain LCD screen TV universal remotes and for a Petzl headlamp. I have AAs for cameras and flashlights.

Danielsan

Enlightened
yes but the Fenix lights you mentioned are not as bright as the competitors, im interested in a Fenix LD10 for reading books with the 4sevens prismKit and i know that this light is not as bright as the others but it has longer runtimes. The 4sevens Preon2 is a nice 2xAAA light with 160 Lumen, it has the mag lite size but its very slim and that is mmore suited for the pocket in my mind

But even a Preon2 is to big for me as an EDC light, i have ZL H31 and Klarus MIX6Ti 1xaaa as pocket lights which are ideal because you nearly forget them in your pockets. As a household light i have the Jetbeam PA40 4xAAA because size dosnt matter at home and around your house and then you have nearly 500 Lumen. Soon the ZL Q50 will produce 800 Lumen and it has the same lenght as the Mag lite XL200 but its a bit thicker, now thats a great light for the household. The XL200 is not a bad light, its just the size of it, not only the XL200, the 2xAA lights are to bulky as well for EDC. As an EDC i can only have 1xAAA,1xCR123 or 1xCR2

If you wanna have only one flashlight in your household for a low price and you dont EDC a light then the XL200 is nice or the Xeno E03.

hwc

Newly Enlightened
yes but the Fenix lights you mentioned are not as bright as the competitors.

That's hard to know until Fenix and their competitors test all their lights using the same ANSI standards instead of whatever made-up test they want to use.

I would not say that the MAG XL series is intended to replace a 1 AAA keychain light. I have a Fenix LD01 on the way for that and I'm considering an LD10 for a very small light. But, neither of those offer the power or versatility of the XL200 for all-purpose use.

The nightlite feature alone is probably worth $40. Walk around with the light at higher power and when you put it down on the counter, it automatically dims to just enough light to see a little bit and find it. As soon as you pick it up, it goes back to the previous setting.

gorn

Enlightened
I like the XL200's interface. It seems to be the way my XL100 should have been. My XL100 has been my middle of the night go to light except for the times I need both hands and dim light. Then my Photon REX is the go to. I don't care for the 3 AAA format, but with rechargables that isn't an issue to cry baby about. I'll have to jump on Amazon and get one on the way to me.

hwc

Newly Enlightened
My only complaint with the XL200 interface so far is that I wish it had like a 60 second delay before it dims in NiteLite mode. It dims a little too easily if you aren't moving. But, it's a great feature. I think of all the power failure times where you want to set the light down for a minute or two and not have the thing in torch mode shining at the wall, but you can't turn it off because then it's pitch black and you can't find it! The auto dimming is perfect. Lay it down on the counter and you get just a little light. Pick it back up and you're back to where you started.

LEDrock

Enlightened
Yeah, I agree that the haters do contribute a mood of unplesantness to many CPF threads.

But hey, whadaya expect? This is the internet, and haters are common on most internet forums.

Haters you encounter on all types of enthusiast forums tend to be rather ignorant of the topic overall, and they often know almost nothing about the particular item they are bashing.

If you think CPF is bad, try reading some of the Knife forums and Gun forums to get a little perspective on haters. ;>

I don't think it's so much a matter of hate as is a matter of frustration that Mag takes so long to put out something new while other companies on the internet are putting out new and better stuff ALL the time. Mag has been around for such a longer amount of time that you'd hope that they'd be the one in the lead of innovation. But even after they take so long to come out with something new, they end up releasing something that is inferior to what current competitors offer for the same, or even a lower, price.

One example is the 4Sevens Quark AA. It also uses the XP-G and costs $60 like the new Mag, but I think most people would appreciate the 2AA format and lower low mode of the Quark--assuming that had both to compare side by side. And why did Mag get into using Cree so much later than everyone else? It's as if they're behind everyone else in every way.

My advice to Mag is to look at what other manufacturers offer, look at what people like (read this forum) and then produce something along those lines. Making something that uses 3AAA and a very complicated interface wasn't the best way to go, although I do have to give them a thumbs up on making something that is different (motion control). I don't think it's all that practical for a flashlight for everyday use though.

hwc

Newly Enlightened
example is the 4Sevens Quark AA. It also uses the XP-G and costs $60 like the new Mag, but I think most people would appreciate the 2AA format and lower low mode of the Quark--assuming that had both to compare side by side. And why did Mag get into using Cree so much later than everyone else? It's as if they're behind everyone else in every way.

Maglite is currently selling a 2-AA MiniMag with a Cree XP-E emitter for half the price of the Quark. I'm pretty sure that the Quark can't touch the throw or beam intensity of the MiniMag Cree. I suspect that Mag will sell more MiniMAG LEDs this year in WalMart alone than Quark will sell of all their flashlights combined.

LEDrock

Enlightened
Maglite is currently selling a 2-AA MiniMag with a Cree XP-E emitter for half the price of the Quark. I'm pretty sure that the Quark can't touch the throw or beam intensity of the MiniMag Cree. I suspect that Mag will sell more MiniMAG LEDs this year in WalMart alone than Quark will sell of all their flashlights combined.

Are you referring to the XL50? It's the only one I see on their website other than the Krypton model. http://www.maglite.com/AA_Cell_LED.asp

hwc

Newly Enlightened
They've made a running upgrade to the MiniMag LED. I received one yesterday from Amazon with a Cree XP-E emitter and revised specs on the packaging. It's quite an impressive little light for $17. Classic styling, nice convenient size, decent runtime with 2 AA's, and it's a real torch in terms of beam insensity and throw. The variable focusing even works a little bit. I'm not wild about the user interface, but 99 times out of 100, I'll just turn it on to high, use it for a few minutes, and turn it off. In that case, the low mode and the strobe mode don't really get in the way and it's nice to at least have them for a power outage situation or signalling while changing a tire on the side of the road.

The FL1 ANSI specs on the back are:

163 meters
63 lumens
6619 candela
9 hour 30 minute runtime on high
24 hour runtime on low

The XL200 uses the Cree XP-G. The XL100, XL50, and MiniMags now use the XP-E. It appears that Mag just makes their upgrades unannounced, which makes sense given that very people care what brand LED is in the flashlight!

BTW, I notice that WalMart has clearance pricing on XL50s. I wonder if that model is about to be upgraded to the XP-G like the XL200? It would make sense from a production standpoint.

Last edited:

Danielsan

Enlightened
This is the internet, and haters are common on most internet forums.
usually ppl that are against somebodys opinion are called haters,the same counts for "fanboys", another term i dont like.

I suspect that Mag will sell more MiniMAG LEDs this year in WalMart alone than Quark will sell of all their flashlights combined.

they will because most ppl never heard of a quark or a Zebralight. The XL50 is cheaper but that dosnt mean its better, i would always invest 10 or 20 dollar more

hwc

Newly Enlightened
...most ppl never heard of a quark or a Zebralight. The XL50 is cheaper but that dosnt mean its better, i would always invest 10 or 20 dollar more

I don't think that Quark or Zebra make anything for $26 that can come close to the throw of an XL50. 143 meter throw. 5332 candela. Convenient size. Simple user interface with high, low, strobe.

tjhabak

Enlightened
I don't think it's so much a matter of hate as is a matter of frustration that Mag takes so long to put out something new while other companies on the internet are putting out new and better stuff ALL the time. Mag has been around for such a longer amount of time that you'd hope that they'd be the one in the lead of innovation. But even after they take so long to come out with something new, they end up releasing something that is inferior to what current competitors offer for the same, or even a lower, price.

One example is the 4Sevens Quark AA. It also uses the XP-G and costs $60 like the new Mag, but I think most people would appreciate the 2AA format and lower low mode of the Quark--assuming that had both to compare side by side. And why did Mag get into using Cree so much later than everyone else? It's as if they're behind everyone else in every way.

My advice to Mag is to look at what other manufacturers offer, look at what people like (read this forum) and then produce something along those lines. Making something that uses 3AAA and a very complicated interface wasn't the best way to go, although I do have to give them a thumbs up on making something that is different (motion control). I don't think it's all that practical for a flashlight for everyday use though.

You can find the XL200 from several places on Amazon and Ebay for $40.00 with free shipping. I definitely see your point about Mag's innovation over the years, but this little light is pretty impressive. It has slightly less spill, but outthrows the 2D XP-E. I also kind of like the XL200 UI, but that's strictly a matter of personal preference. I also like the UI on the Quarks.:)

robostudent5000

Enlightened
I cant see what is so good about this light, i mean its cheap and you can dimm it, those are indeed great functions and i think this light is not so bad. On the other hand this light is very wide and long for AAA battery format, so the main advantage of the tiny size from AAA batteries is gone. I mean there are lights with 2xAAA like 4 Sevens Preon2 which are shorter and much slimmer, same price and you have tons of 1xAA lights which are also shorter and slimmer, most of them have 140 Lumen so the difference is not so big. Preon 2 2AA has 160 Lumen. Why Mag-Lite dont use 4xAAA? Anyway the wider and longer size is a bit too big for edc, thats why i use 1xAAA or 1xAA lights as EDC and 4XAA around the house. The new ZL Q50 will use 4XAA and its shorter then this light and it will do 800 Lumen

Danielsan, why show up on a Mag thread just to bash Mags? leave the Mag lovers alone. it's their money.

hey hwc, you totally remind me of a long time member named ringzero. i don't know why, but he stopped posting a couple months ago, and you totally remind me of him. welcome to CPF!

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I snagged an XL100 from Target for $10 and it's an awesome light for that price. I do have some complaints about it that I hope are addressed by the XL200.

Problem #1: I need to know how to orient the light properly to chose the mode. The XL200 appears to address this issue by tying mode selection to clicks rather than orientation.

Problem #2: I can only set the output level when I power it on. If I want to change the level during use, I need to turn it off and then on again. Does the XL200 address this issue? Can I adjust the output of the light without power-cycling it first?

Problem #3: There is no place to attach a lanyard. Does the XL200 have a hole drilled in it somewhere where I can attach a lanyard? Alternatively, can I safely bore a hole through the edge of the tailcap?

--flatline

Last edited: