Maha MH-C9000 SUPPORT / FAQ Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jusko

Newly Enlightened
jusko said:
Thanks William for answering my query in post #179.

Another question I hope William can answer me is that on using a fan. William and FAQ suggested that to achieve better charge completeness at higher currents, a small fan can be added to cool the batteries externally. I have done this many times and confirmed that there is termination difficulty.

I used an 8cm 12V computer fan which blew right over the 4 charging batteries. The batteries and charger felt cool all the way. But the batteries didn't terminate even after more than 2C had been charged. Then I took the fan away, a few minutes later, all the batteries began DONE.

So, use a fan or not ? Could William explain this please ?

Hi, William, do you have any ideas please ?

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My idea is that a fan only cools the outside, which is also where the charger measures, possibly leading to inaccurate readings, but it's the heat inside that does the damage. But it's just an idea - I have no idea what the thermal conductivity of a NiMH cell is. William? Tom? Bill?

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny, I got a few books on IR imaging and one thing I was just reading is that all metals, liquids,etc. react differently, meaning the amount of heat it takes to raise the temperature 1F. These cells are made up of different metals, etc. The mass is a variable too, so these higher capacity cells with thinner, smaller components react differently than older cells. Heat travels from warmer objects to cooler objects too! If this doesn't make you think, nothing will. :D

EDIT: Cells connected externally to the C9000 run much cooler and still terminate. You'd think that, as long as the fan was used from the start of the charge, it wouldn't affect the operation aside from keeping the cells cooler. On the other hand, is it possible to keep them too cool? Do you need a bit of heat for the chemical process to take place correctly, more so on higher capacity cells, maybe????

Last edited:

verge

Newly Enlightened
According to the MH-C9000 user manual;

"Charging at a rate below 0.33C and above 1.0C is not recommended."

I don't understand why the BREAK-IN charge rate of MH-C9000 is 0.1C while the recommended CHARGE rate for NiMH battery is minimum of 0.33C.

How can the BREAK-IN mode properly charge a NiMH battery if the recommended minimum charge rate is 0.33C?

coppertrail

Enlightened
This mode charges @ .1C for a fixed time, and thus does not over charge. It is designed to form the cell by evenly distributing the electrolytes. The concern with charging below .1C on a non-timed charger is that it will miss the cutoff and potentiall overcharge the cell(s).

verge

Newly Enlightened
coppertrail, thanks much for the quick reply and explanation.

Another quick question, is the one hour battery rest period absolutely necessary or it can be cut down to lesser time period (15 - 30 mins) for faster break-in process?

coppertrail

Enlightened
It cannot be changed on the MH-C9000, and the one hour rest period is recommended for the break in cycle. I know, it takes a long time :) . . .

Also, it appears the Eneloops need not be broken it.

bmoorhouse

Newly Enlightened
I have been testing out my C9000 since I received it the other day. I wanted to see if there was a difference between 0.33 and 0.5 C with new cells and if the charger would terminate relatively new cells at 0.33 C. One of my concerns with the charger is that 0.5C may be too fast and not gentle enough to use for regular every day charging.

I discharged four 2000 mah batteries I bought one month ago using the discharge cycle over night. The next morning, I put them back in and set the first to charge at 400 ma, the next 700 ma, the third at 1000 ma, and the last at 2000 ma.

I expected the first one to miss termination, which it did, and I manually stopped it at 3250 mah after 544 minutes. Despite being well over, the cell was not hot to the touch. Of course, I was charging in my cold garage, so that might have kept the outside temp down.

The other three did well. The slowest one, charged at 700 ma or about 0.29 C actually terminated. It did go a little long, terminating at 2452 mah while the others stopped at 2379 and 2393 mah, but it was not hot. Was the fact that it went long due to the fact that it was charged slowly? I thought that if I charged too slowly it would miss the one and only signal and continue charging indefinitely. Since the additional 425 mah applied is well within the 30% MAHA says each charge capacity could go over the rated capacity by, I wasn't sure.

I then discharge all four and the C9000 indicated 2209, 2108, 2104, and 2074 mah. The one with 2209 was, of course, the one I charged at 400 mah and manually terminated.

When I was finished I went ahead and used a default charge cycle to recharge all four. Their capacities this time were 2375, 2321, 2399, and 2459 mah. The 2459 mah capacity was shown on the one that I had earlier charged at 2000 ma, but seeing it from a default charge made me feel better about the 2452 mah I saw when charging at 700 ma.

After all of this, I have a few questions . . . I understand the charging capacity can exceed the actual capacity by as much as 30%. If that's the case, what benefit (other than observing a failed terminiation) is there from seeing the charging capacity? Can you use that amount to verify matched sets?

My last question has to do with the C9000's effect on the batteries' overall life. The C9000 slightly overcharges the cells, while some others slightly undercharge. The slight overcharge ensures that each charge will enable the longest use before the next required charge, but this comes at the expense of potentially reducing the nubmer of charge cycles the battery can accept. If I wanted to get the maximum number of camera flashes throughout a battery's life, would I be better off using a charger that requires more frequent charging with more cycles or this one that gives me more flashes per charge, but with which I may get fewer cycles?

bmoorhouse

Newly Enlightened
Can someone answer a few questions for me:

I understand the displayed charging capacity can exceed the actual capacity by as much as 30%. If that's the case, what benefit (other than observing a failed terminiation) is there from seeing the charging capacity? Can you use that amount to verify matched sets?

The C9000 slightly overcharges cells to ensure they are fully charged. This slight overcharge can potentially damage the cells and reduce the nubmer of charge cycles the battery can accept. If I wanted to get the maximum number of camera flashes from a set of batteries before throwing them out, would I be better off using a charger that undercharges and therefore requires more frequent charging or the C9000 that gives me more flashes per charge, but with which I may get fewer cycles?

verge

Newly Enlightened
Noticing the way above battery's rated capacity shown on the MH-C9000 display after the CHARGE process when I BREAK-IN my first set of AA batteries (Kodak 1600 NiMH AA), I decided to do another round on a different set of batteries and write down the numbers.

After the BREAK-IN of the first set of batteries, I started BREAK-IN of another set (Kodak 1700 NiMH AA) and reminded myself to write down the numbers shown on the display at the end of CHARGE. The batteries were inserted into the charger's four slots (6:15am 1-22-07) and CHARGE finished at 10:15pm (1-22-07).

Here is the information I gathered from the charger's display right after the CHARGE process and before the REST period;

Batt.1 2427 MAH 1.45 VOLT 960 MIN
Batt.2 2434 MAH 1.45 VOLT 960 MIN
Batt.3 2443 MAH 1.45 VOLT 960 MIN
Batt.4 2436 MAH 1.46 VOLT 960 MIN

My very obvious question is why is charging capacity shown on the display 43% over the rated capacity of the batteries? What does this mean?

Last edited:

DynoMoHum

Newly Enlightened
Good questions about what a person might get from looking the total amount of current sent to the battery during a charge period... I don't know the real answer... However you must also realize that this number could be very misleading, unless you know for sure how much if any charge was in the battery(s) before you started charging. I think the general question of what if anything can be learned from the total charging current is more of a generic question about batteries then it is about this particular charger.

I personally have never head anyone explain the answer to your question... So I too am somewhat curious as to what the answer is. However, I really don't expect there to be any really useful information to be learned from that number.

willchueh

Newly Enlightened
BREAK-IN mode, by definition, charges ~160% (16 hours at 0.1C) of the entered battery capacity. This is to allow for battery forming.

Regards,

William

Mike abcd

Enlightened
It's interesting Maha stuck with the 16 hours even though the actual charge rate turns out to be slightly under .1 C.

It looks like it actually delivers about 143% vs 160% for a standard 16 hour .1 C charge.

Only an observation, not a complaint as I'm not a believer in doing the "standard" forming charge on new cells. I find a few fast charge cycles to be just as effective and quicker while avoiding the large over charge of a "standard" forming charge.

Mike

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bmoorhouse,

The capacity going into a cell has no value, other than as a gross indication of where you are in the charging process. If you are charging a 2000 mAh cell, and the capacity going into the cell is showing 1500 mAh, you are not quite done charging yet. On the other hand, if it reads 3000 mAh it probably means that your charger had missed the termination.

There has been some effort to try to find a correlation between the amount of charge input to battery performance, but that correlation is not readily apparent.

The RC chargers often use maximum capacity as a safety cut off. If you are charging 3300 mAh Sub C cells, you would select 5000 mAh as a maximum charge put in. When your charger misses the end of charge signal, it will finally terminate on the maximum quantity you selected.

There are several consumer chargers that also utilize this for charge termination, but it is a fixed number and not user adjustable. I have mentioned this to William, but do not know if it can be implemented into the C9000. People who are charging high capacity cells on their BC-900 chargers at low charge rates, are probably terminating on the 3000 mAh capacity built into the charger, rather than the charger actually seeing an end of charge signal.

Your last question is difficult to comment on. We need some common definitions, but they are illusive.

Let's gain some perspective and embrace the fact that cells die. They die while in storage and they die while in use. If you use your cells, they are being damaged every time you charge or discharge them. The idea is to minimize the damage.

We look to the battery manufacturers to give us an idea of life expectancy. The battery manufacturers look for standard procedures to test to. Now we have a basis to start from.

The standard charge is a 16 hour, constant current charge at a rate of 0.1 C. The standard discharge for capacity involves a 0.2 C constant current discharge rate and a cut off voltage of 1.0 volt per cell. The standard for determining cycle life involves measuring the number of standard charge/standard discharge cycles it takes before the capacity drops below 80% of its initial standard capacity.

If you want to realize the advertised cycle life from your cells, follow the standard charge and standard discharge guidelines.

There is no standard for fast charging.

The battery manufactures realized that there are some things that happen during fast charging. The cell temperature can increase, the voltage can stabilize or drop, and the internal can pressure increases. The charger manufacturers approached their chip suppliers to provide them with a controller that would enable them to charge at faster rates.

As cell chemistry changed from NiCd to NiMh, it was observed that the voltage related end of charge signal was enhanced at faster charge rates. Now we have a recommended charge rate of 0.5 C to 1.0 C, with most of the charging data being given for 1.0 C charge rates.

Two problems arise. We find ourselves in a situation where we using the cells differently from how they are rated according to the standards and while we have an idea of what is going on at a 1 C charge rate, we have little information on what an overcharge is at lower charge rates, and what the effects of such an overcharge is.

That last statement is not entirely true. The Swedish did a study comparing a 30% overcharge at 1 C. Their study revealed that cycle life dropped from roughly 500 cycles to roughly 100 cycles when the cell was charged at a 1 C rate to a 30% overcharge.

They went on to find that at a lower charge rate of 0.3 C, a 30% overcharge dropped the cycle life down to roughly 225 cycles.

We could probably conclude that charging at higher rates results in higher cell temperatures, and the higher temperatures caused the reduction in cycle life. However, no temperature data was taken during the testing.

Unfortunately, they did not continue the test to show the effects of a 10% or 20% overcharge. We can speculate that it should be less than a 30% overcharge, but that is about it. Their testing was done with 1800 mAh Duracell cells.

We need a definition of a full charge at a fast charge rate to answer your question.

One definition could be that a full charge occurs when the cell temperature raises 20 F above ambient when charging at 68 F. Another could be that a full charge occurs when the rate of temperature rise is 1.8 F per minute over a window of a few minutes. Another is to check for a drop in voltage during the charge. With this metric, the sensitivity needs to be determined. You will get different results using a 3 mV drop than when using a 10 mV drop. Another would be to first discharge the cell, then time the charge going back in, of course the right amount of time varies with the charge rate.

One interesting thought is to assume that the charge and discharge characteristics are similar, do a standard charge followed by a discharge at the rate we want to charge at. Now we have a capacity for that rate and can factor in the charger efficiencies and come to what would be necessary for a full charge.

How do you get the most from your cells? Use your cells until you notice increased recycle times in your flash. Charge them at a 0.1 C rate for 10 hours, then pull them off the charger. Do not expect the charger to terminate the charge. Set a timer and pull them after the time is up. Every 20 cycles, use the Break In function.

You will have to anticipate your needs with this method and may need to have a few extra sets of cells around for the times when you are waiting for a charge to complete. You will have to balance storage times with use times. I don't believe in leaving cells on the charger, but you may be able to get away with it with normal cells. If you use a low self discharge cell, don't leave it on the charger for any extended length of time.

Let me know how it works out…

Tom

verge

Newly Enlightened
Kodak 1700 NiMH AA (1-yr old unused batteries)
MH-C9000 / BREAK-IN (start 1-22-07 6:15am; end 10:00pm 1-23-07)
CHARGE 1
Batt.1 2427 MAH 1.45 VOLT 960 MIN
Batt.2 2434 MAH 1.45 VOLT 960 MIN
Batt.3 2443 MAH 1.45 VOLT 960 MIN
Batt.4 2436 MAH 1.46 VOLT 960 MIN

REST 60 MIN

DISCHARGE (last reading at the end of DISHARGE process)
Batt.1 1744 MAH 1.14 VOLT 60 MIN
Batt.2 1746 MAH 1.14 VOLT 60 MIN
Batt.3 1778 MAH 1.14 VOLT 60 MIN
Batt.4 1776 MAH 1.14 VOLT 60 MIN

REST 60 MIN

CHARGE 2 (last reading at the end of CHARGE process)
Batt.1 2428 MAH 169 MA 1.46 VOLT 960 MIN
Batt.2 2432 MAH 167 MA 1.46 VOLT 960 MIN
Batt.3 2438 MAH 169 MA 1.46 VOLT 960 MIN
Batt.4 2431 MAH 168 MA 1.47 VOLT 960 MIN

AVAILABLE CAPACITY shown on display after each battery got DONE.
Batt.1 1730 MAH 338 MIN 1.44 VOLT
Batt.2 1746 MAH 343 MIN 1.44 VOLT
Batt.3 1734 MAH 338 MIN 1.44 VOLT
Batt.4 1776 MAH 349 MIN 1.45 VOLT

Next question is wazzup with the lesser time displayed (e.g. 338 MIN) for each battery when DONE? What does it mean?

I'm setting up a different set of batteries for BREAK-IN. I just have to start Friday morning so I can catch the end of first CHARGE (to copy the information on the display) when I get home from work. The DISCHARGE on late Friday night and last CHARGE would be on Saturday and I'm conveniently at home to write down what's on the MH-C9000 display at the end of last two stages of BREAK-IN.

* (edit) I changed my mind. I now have a set of 4 old JWIN AAA batteries on BREAK-IN in my MH-C9000. This charger has been continually at work since I started feeding it with batteries.

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Verge,

The standard IEC charge is 16 hours at a 0.1 C rate. The standard discharge for capacity is at 0.2 C. This usually results in a 5 hour discharge (300 minutes), however it looks like your cells had more than their rated capacity. This means that it took over 5 hours to complete the discharge.

Tom

verge

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response SilverFox! This charger has numbers (e.g. 338 MIN when DONE in BREAK-IN) that show on the DISPLAY that are not fully explained on the manual.

Also, it's such a pain to wait 39 hours to know that my batteries are ok and up to their rated capacity.

I wish there's a battery tester that immediately shows battery's capacity in mAh numbers instead of yellow led light or meter needle that just swings to GOOD or RECHARGE/REPLACE.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
SilverFox said:
Let's gain some perspective and embrace the fact that cells die. They die while in storage and they die while in use. If you use your cells, they are being damaged every time you charge or discharge them. The idea is to minimize the damage.
Words of wisdom. I've finally finished playing, er, testing my new Eneloops on my MH-C9000 and moved on to a dozen AAA cells I've had for a while. Over half of them came up as HIGH impedance on the charger, and I still haven't been able to get four of them working. Maybe I shouldn't have given my old less-intelligent charger away so soon? Is there anything I can do to reduce their impedance?

Status
Not open for further replies.