• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Mako Flood Run - A Titanium, Two-Stage, AAA-Based Flashlight

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
:paypal:

Really looking forward to getting of these little lights!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
A few questions:
  • Would there be an estimate of the color temperature for this 5mm LED?
  • IIRC, nbp had guessed outputs of ~1 lumen and ~5 lumens based on the drive levels, would this be about right?
  • In coyote's thread, Enrique posted that there was a chance of a different emitter for a small subset of the production run, will this still be the case or will all 75 have the standard emitter?
  • Is there any chance of custom finishes like what were done with a small number of the original Mako's?
Thanks,

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want one if it is somewhere in the ballpark of 5000K. If it is I will place my reservations immediately.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kestrel: The original Mako Flood was probably around 9000K. I have the LEDs on order and will do a few minor tests and post some side-by-side comparisons of beams and colors next week.

I don't know what the total light output would be in lumens; the parts are rated in millicandela, which is a fairly ambiguous rating that decreases as the viewing angle of the LED increases. The LED is driven at 20mA and 6mA, and the efficiency curves for it are non-linear - at 20mA you get the full 8600mcd output, and at 6mA you'd be seeing about 1/3rd of that. This is further complicated by a non-linear response to light of the human eye, so the perceived brightness change is fairly small (though the savings in battery life are quite good).

I typically tend to play around with a small handful of lights, be it LEDs or finishes, after a run is completed, but I am not taking reservations on anything in particular for that - those tend to be one-offs (much like the original five flood Makos were) - It wasn't my intention by mentioning that to add fuel to any uncertainty. ;). This run is for Flood Makos.

Half of the run is currently claimed.

Take care,

Enrique

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Kestrel: The original Mako Flood was probably around 9000K. I have the LEDs on order and will do a few minor tests and post some side-by-side comparisons of beams and colors next week.
Thanks for this info, I'm looking forward to any comparisions you might be able to do.

I typically tend to play around with a small handful of lights, be it LEDs or finishes, after a run is completed, but I am not taking reservations on anything in particular for that - those tend to be one-offs (much like the original five flood Makos were) - It wasn't my intention by mentioning that to add fuel to any uncertainty. ;). This run is for Flood Makos.
That's cool, I hope my question didn't add any uncertainty to this sale thread. Best regards, :)

forte

Newly Enlightened
This post made me sign up to CPF after lurking a few days. Can't wait to get the Mako flood!

forte

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome.
After ready a few days searching and redign the forums, I have come to the conclusion that a good reliable EDC is something small that you shouldntt worry about. As a gear junkie, I love the latest and greatest, but reading about possible hazards of lithium ion rcr123 and 18650 has me worried. The Mako sort of fits the bill as a "cool" everyday EDC.

helios123

Enlightened
Hi Enrique:paypal:Really sorry forgot to change subject line and put in message...The $50 i sent as gift is for a mako reservation.Cheers - Glenn