Malkoff M60 MC-E

prof student

Enlightened
Re: malkoff mc-e

1) The 8 degree ooptic makes a nasty little donut.

2) You can use 2,3,4 primaries or 2,3 rechargeables.

3) The lumens are a calculated on the conservative side. I don't have equipment for an actual measurement

Thanks, Gene

Does a middle range optic exist? say, around a 14, right in between the two?

Tim B

Newly Enlightened
I finally got my 9P that I had been waiting for to host this drop-in. I turned it on and let it run continuously to see how much the third battery would add to the run time. It ran for 1 hour and 10 minutes at full brightness before it started to dim. the brightness continued to slowly diminish and at 1 hour and 30 minutes after I turned it on it was about half as bright as a G2L or 6PL with the stock P60L. That was using the three surefire batteries that came in the light. The larger body of the 9P does dissipate heat a little better than the 6P. It is a larger mass of metal to heat and the larger surface area helps to radiate more heat into the air. I did wrap the Malkoff tightly in foil before placing it in the light body to ensure a tight fit for the best heat transfer.

Enlightened
Make that 2 in stock now. I just pulled the trigger on the warm MC-E as well. I've been using the standard M60 drop-in for several months now on night shift patrol. While it does the job of lighting up the night, I needed a bit more flood and a bit more output on my belt light. I wanted to switch to a warmer tint as well. I'll post impressions and pictures when it arrives.

For everything else I have a custom made Malkoff 3x Q5 drop-in for my SL-20X. :nana:

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
I just received my M60W MC-E today. It's like my own little piece of the sun! This is my first W model Malkoff, and I have to admit it is nice!

I compared it next to my M60 and M60F, and while it wasn't as overwhelming as I was hoping, it's pretty darn bright. It's kind of an apples/oranges comparison between the the M60 and M60W MC-E. Flood vs. Spot, Warm vs. White(-ish). I still need the powerful spot of the M60 for work, but the M60W MC-E will find a place in my toolkit.

The M60F vs. the M60W MC-E was another story. Not only was the MC-E much brighter, the warm tint was WONDERFUL! I found the color rendition to be much, much better.

If Gene could find a way to put these 400 very warm lumens into a spotlight, I would part with another $125+ in a heartbeat!

Great work, Gene! Keep it up!

-- Frank

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea why Gene decided to stop working with the P7 and is going with the MC-E instead? I know he was never totally happy with what he was able to put together "beam-wise" with the P7, but is the MC-E any different in that regard? These emitters are great for floody applications... I love my Malkoff P7 lamp which has a very tiny bit of a central hotspot in the middle of the flood. I also have an MTE SSC P7 which has a much larger, deeper reflector and has a much more noticible central hotspot, resulting in a bit more throw. Any idea how the M-MC-E compares to the M-P7?

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea why Gene decided to stop working with the P7 and is going with the MC-E instead? I know he was never totally happy with what he was able to put together "beam-wise" with the P7, but is the MC-E any different in that regard?

The MC-E has warm tinted emitters available. Seoul hasn't released warmer tints in the P7. The MC-E lets him work both sides of the tint preference in the same design.

The MC-E and P7 have different package sizes and emission profiles. So yes they are different in regard to finding a reflector or optic. The solution for one won't just work for the other. The fixed diameter of the p60 module reduces options even more. He might just have picked the best beam he could come up with between the 2.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone offer any more comparative beamshots? Is there any central hotspot at all with the M-MC-E? Comparison to P7, M60F or M30F would be great to see... Mr.Gman?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: malkoff mc-e

The Surefire P7's were made to order and never listed on his site.

The MC-E's are going to be a regular item instead of custom. :D

The MC-E are using the flood optic and the P7's (I think) used a reflector.

Yes, the M-P7 uses a reflector. The P7 (and likely the MC-E) are not the greatest outdoor
lights, except for illuminating wide near-field areas. One moderate exception to this is
the MTE SSC P7, however, which has an exceptionally deep and wide reflector... effectively
giving the P7 a hot central area and pretty good throw for a quad emitter, while still retaining
quite a bit of broad flood. For the money, the MTE SSC P7 is a great light to have and quite
useful outdoors as well. In flooding a room, however, they're all pretty amazing.

My P7 "Roomsweeper"
MP7_FM3P.jpg

M-P7 business end
P7Goodness.jpg

Malkoff M60
Malkoff_M60_2427.jpg

Malkoff M60F
Malkoff_M60F_2423.jpg

Malkoff P7
Malkoff_P7_2416.jpg

MTE SSC P7
MTE_SSC_P7_2415.jpg

Jet III M - warm emitter/hybrid reflector - just for comparison
Jet_III-M_2414.jpg

Last edited:

Croyde

Newly Enlightened
For comparative purposes:

Malkoff M60F
IMG_2167.jpg

Malkoff M60 MC-E Warm
IMG_2475.jpg

The warmer tint is quite apparent and there is certainly a step up in overall output compared to the M60F.

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
Croyde:

Thanks for posting those pics. I was going to do beamshot comparisons of these two drop-ins myself. I'm glad I don't have to go to the trouble of doing it myself, now.

I think I was more impressed with how warm it was, more than the increased light output.

-- Frank

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Croyde... thanks for posting those. The warmth is definitely apparent in the MC-E, but, interestingly, the brightness is higher in the M60 image. Did shutter speed, aperture, and ISO remain fixed or was the camera on any type of auto exposure mode?

Croyde

Newly Enlightened
I took both shots in manual at -2. The M60F shot was taken a few months back and the MC-E just now, so the conditions may have been a little different. Seeing as Ihave since sold the M60F I cannot take more shots together but if anything I would say that the MC-E beam appears more dispersed than the M60F with a warmer and greater overall output, which suits my needs just fine.:twothumbs

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spoke with Gene a few days ago about this drop in. He said that it reaches it max brightness at around four volts. The drop in will go up to thirteen volts to increase the run time only. He should have a new run of them done soon. He plans on making it a standard product on his web page.

:confused:

Can anyone confirm that the light runs at full brightness at 3.7v to 4.2v on a single cell?

Webpage says:
The input voltage is 5 - 13 volts. Below 5 volts it will drop out of regulation. Below 4.5v it will shut off. The output is 500+ lumens. The current draw is only 1300ma at 6 volts. The runtime is 45 minutes on 2 CR123 primary batteries. The LED is a Cree MC-E Quad Die LED.
:confused:

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene will make the MC-E on direct drive for those that have the 18650 hosts and IMR 18650 cells. I had to call and request it. It is not going to be on his website; at least for now.

Gene said the lower forward voltage of the MC-E on DD makes more lumens at the same amp draw than the P7. He said the P60 MC-E on DD makes 3.5amp draw at 4.2v. He guestimates well into 1000 lumens, untill it settles down at 2.8amp draw (10 minutes).:rock::xyxgun::touche::buddies:

I ordered mine along with some oven mitts to help with the heat.:D

I also have a P7 P60 to do a beamshot review. Hopefully next week.

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bigchellis... looking forward to your report and pics! I'm sure that somewhere down the road I will ask Gene to make one of those up for me... an M30 MC-E. :twothumbs Gene's stuff is awesome.

Enlightened
Received my M60W MC-E this afternoon. Here's a quickie beam shot. The tint in real life is much warmer than what is depicted. The brightness is also a bit dimmer. It's not slouch though. It lights up rooms REALLY WELL.

The MC-E top, regular M60 bottom

2iid1lf.jpg

2q0r08w.jpg

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The comparo I would make is that the M60 MC-E is pretty similar to the old-style SF L4, but about 3x - 4x brighter to my eyeballs. Thats just a subjective guess, but you get the idea. Same full-flood profile.