Malkoff M60 MC-E

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think he is sending out the email when he only has a handful or less in stock. They move too fast it's not worth it.

I've been to busy and somewhat lazy in converting a C2 to 18650/M30W, but I picked up a M60W MC-E yesterday and I'm very excited to try that. I'm excited to compare it to the M6 (low/MN20). I know the M6 will be warmer but the MN20 is actually too warm. The M60W is actually closer to neutral, which is very nice, and I hope the MC-E version is basically the same.

None of the current MC-E lights have really excited me, so although a little expensive I though the M60W/MC-E would be the best option for my first MC-E based light. That fact that it's being offered as a Warm tint played a huge part in that.

Very Excited! :D

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a normal M60/30 F to test against it? I'm making room for an M60W MCE and was wondering if the beam had the same profile as the XRE M60F or if it was more/less floody.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup. I have regular M60W and M60F. I really like the M60F for indoors and outdoor near field use. Hopefully I'll have the new drop-in by Wednesday. I suspect a few people will be doing comparisons. I suspect because of the optic it won't be quite as wide, but I'm hoping for a nice balance that falls in between the regular 8deg, and regular 20deg (F) beam shapes.

Gene43

Enlightened
I don't think he is sending out the email when he only has a handful or less in stock.

The problem I'm having is that Time Warner will not allow more than 99 emails per hour. I can't send out the group emails. They get kicked back:mecry:! So now I have the notices on the individual products that you sign up for. However its still limited to 99 per hour. Also I always get several back that aren't allowed by an ISP's spam blocker.

Thanks, Gene

Grog

Enlightened
A redneck solution might be to setup a yahoo group for group e-mails. Just send all notices to that and put the model in the subject line. Some might not want to get an e-mail on a product that they are not interested in, but if they want the best, they'll have to suffer :devil:

Set it up to moderate messages (and then ignore those that people actually try to send) and you'll be the only one sending messages out.

Yes, I did say it was redneck, and it is :wave:

DLaird8201

Newly Enlightened
Just bought one. :nana: I'm going to be putting it in an m2. Had this light for about a year and could never find the right drop in for it. I hope this is THE ONE. I have a Fenix P2D premium Q5, L1, G2 camo with cree drop in, L2, and an M6. Should have it by next week, and I will do some beem comparisons.:wave:

Croyde

Newly Enlightened
I have been checking daily on the site and finally this mornoing (UK time) I have managed to get an order in for 1 X M60W MC-E Warm:grin2:

brandx

Newly Enlightened
I had a pleasant surprise in the mailbox yesterday, a nice shiny (pun intended) Malkoff M60W-MC-E. Observations (opinions):
1) This basically converts a 6P to a " new-improved-super SF L4". That is a very good thing.
2) The color rendition is much better than 'standard' LED's. The yellows-reds-browns appear much closer to what my brain expects to see.
The beam profile is a utilitarian flood. There is no concise delineation of a hotspot to spill boundary, rather a bright center that smoothly tapers off as you get further from center. The outer edges are noticeably brighter than the L4's outer edges, as is the center. I anticipate this to become a favorite real life user light.

RunningDave

Newly Enlightened
I just received my M60W MC-E in the mail also. Initially, I was wondering where all the 400 lumens went. It seemed kind of dim at first. But when I tested the light out at night, I realized this is the almost perfect light source. It will not blind the heck out of you and allow you're eyes to adjust and see everything in front of you. The warm color was perfect. No distinct delineation or lines in the beam... just a smooth and nice soft spill. Now I just need a darn switch so I can have a low level light. I'm very happy with this light. Thanks Gene for another great product.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what happens with a flood beam, This is why I was so eager for gene to put something together like this. The flood beam disperses the light output so much compared to a focused light that it takes WAY more lumens to give it decent reach. I loved my M60 WLF but figured that the extra 70 lumens from the M60WF wouldn't be enough to give a significant advantage. Now then, where are the outdoors beamshots comparing the M60F and MCE???

DLaird8201

Newly Enlightened
Lets see some beam shots out side. Inside. Anywere.:shakehead They dont even have to be comparisons. I have one ordered, but have never used a malkoff and, I'm just to impatiant. It doesnt even have to be a good picture:hairpull:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still waiting... I hope it is in my mailbox today... I'm not usually too impatient, but I really want to try this one out. That beam description above sounds perfect.

Croyde

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a M60F but may well have moved this on before the M60W MC-E arrives. If not, I will have a go at a couple of comparative shots.

one417

Newly Enlightened
I just received my M60W MC-E in the mail also. Initially, I was wondering where all the 400 lumens went. It seemed kind of dim at first. But when I tested the light out at night, I realized this is the almost perfect light source. It will not blind the heck out of you and allow you're eyes to adjust and see everything in front of you. The warm color was perfect. No distinct delineation or lines in the beam... just a smooth and nice soft spill. Now I just need a darn switch so I can have a low level light. I'm very happy with this light. Thanks Gene for another great product.

I wish I knew how t take good beam shots outdoors or I'd post em for all to see the impressive output of the MC-E.

As Running Dave posted, I too was initially unimpressed when I first turned on the MC-E and compared it to an M60 (in two host 6P's). I turned both lights down a dimly lit hallway. My initial impression was a slight disappointment with the MC-E. The M60 was so much brighter (and much more white in color) along with a real hot spot. I then did the old "shine the light in my eyes to see if I can blind myself test" :shrug:. The M60 appeared more intense to my eyes. Disappointment level was rising :mecry:. The next test was in a dark bedroom. I used both lights as I would clear a room and liked what I saw. The MC-E's wall of light and warmer tint was the winner at this task. Next was the dark back yard test......:eek: I was blown away at the MC-E's performance. Just WOW. I wish I had beam shots to share.

Tim B

Newly Enlightened
Here are a few indoor beamshots of various lights and the MC-E for comparison:

Surefire G2 with stock P60L:
100_8341.jpg

Fenix TK11 R2:
100_8342.jpg

Surefire L4 Lumamax 100 Lumen version:
100_8343.jpg

Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 MC-E:
100_8344.jpg

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are pretty good beam shots as they show the flood nature.

I got my M60W-MC-E and I just did a few indoor tests. The optic has a diffuser on it like the F (M60F) series, and as far as I can tell even though it is not labeled an F type it has a beam dispersion angle that is identical to the M60F. It certainly has more lumens out the front than the F, and the tint is warmer of course. The tint on my M60W-MC-E is a not quite as wam as my M60W, the MC-E sample is still very nice it looks very neutral, compared to the M60W and quite warm compared to the M60F.

I'm not sure why Gene did not label them F series since the optic has a diffuser lens on it.

Another hour or two and I'll be checking them out outside.

I really like it indoors, I think it might just be the perfect drop-in for me, but this one is for outdoor use so I have to reserve judgement.

I continue to like the warm/neutral tint LEDS. I don't want to buy any others anymore.

Last edited:

DLaird8201

Newly Enlightened
Tim B, you the man!! :twothumbs Thanks for the shots. I'll be using this light outside. Now I'm really exited about using mine outside. Doesn't look like it will have a lot of throw, but you sure aren't going to fall in a hole anytime soon.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well The outdoor test was a mixed bag. For following a trail or looking any distance the M60W is still the tool for the job. Near field, say 50-100ft when you have an obstructed path with trees or what not the MC-E really lights up the area. Definetly good for ground searches, lighting up a tree or the side of a structure. It certainly lights a florescent sign at a good distance but does not have the lux down range for identifying much else with unaided vision.

I will probably move the M60F into a cheaper host and put this MC-E into the C2. The MC-E seems to complement the regular M60W quite well, but I'm curious to know what the MC-E would have looked like with the nondifusing optic. Indoors, like in a basement, it's steller.