Malkoff MD4 Wildcat

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I have a gen 1 and gen 2, they are both great. Its nice having two wildcats.

Dogwalking, me and the wife: "Oh here honey use this, this one has four light bulbs, I'll use this one with only three." :crackup:

Kato

Enlightened
Two of my officers had detained three intoxicated teenage boys on the beach for causing a disturbance one night last week. All three teenagers were seated on the sand. The one in the middle had sleepy eyes, was slow and lethargic, and was having a difficult time finding his identification in his wallet. I approached and stood three feet in front of him. He didn't even know I was there.

I thought I'd help, so I illuminated his wallet with 750 lumens from my gen2 Wildcat. As the light illuminated the entire immediate area, the teenager's eyes immediately shot wide open. With a look on his face that exemplified shock and puzzlement, he looked up, then over his right shoulder, and finally over his left shoulder in a hopeless attempt to figure out why it was suddenly daylight for him and his friends. I was standing across from one of my officers (who carries a gen1 Wildcat himself). We looked at each other and both of us couldn't help but burst out laughing at the teenager's utterly confused reaction.

Thanks, Gene & Cathy!

:crackup::devil:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two of my officers had detained three intoxicated teenage boys on the beach for causing a disturbance one night last week. All three teenagers were seated on the sand. The one in the middle had sleepy eyes, was slow and lethargic, and was having a difficult time finding his identification in his wallet. I approached and stood three feet in front of him. He didn't even know I was there.

I thought I'd help, so I illuminated his wallet with 750 lumens from my gen2 Wildcat. As the light illuminated the entire immediate area, the teenager's eyes immediately shot wide open. With a look on his face that exemplified shock and puzzlement, he looked up, then over his right shoulder, and finally over his left shoulder in a hopeless attempt to figure out why it was suddenly daylight for him and his friends. I was standing across from one of my officers (who carries a gen1 Wildcat himself). We looked at each other and both of us couldn't help but burst out laughing at the teenager's utterly confused reaction.

Thanks, Gene & Cathy!

:crackup::crackup:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, Gene & Cathy!

very professional!

:crackup:

jellydonut

Enlightened
Guys, anyone else not getting in touch with Malkoff lately?

It's not that I expect the light to arrive that soon since we're talking international shipping but at least some kind of confirmation of sending it or such since it's been more than a week.

Basically, anyone know if they're swamped or having issues or such? I'd call but I'd rather not unless it's necessary, don't like international calls or breaking out my broken engrish..:mecry:

edit - sorry guys, I just had a brainfart. Logging in on their site reveals that the order has been updated with 'shipped' status. Still would prefer some kinda email update on that though. :p

Last edited:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Guys/Gals,

My Malkoff Wildcat head has arrived!!! And it's a beauty - much smaller than I imagined.

The quality, performance and compact size of the MD3 is unbelievable. After a walk/run last night, I can report that the light is almost 'too bright'!!:twothumbs

The low mode (40 lumens approx) is perfect too for close up use. I've never experienced the previous MKI version but I can tell you that the MKII is an excellent light. I have previously owned a Malkoff Triple for a Maglite D/C cell - the performance of the Wildcat is vastly superior!!

How is this for service ?! - I emailed Gene on the 21st asking if he could put aside a Wildcat head for me. He emailed me back on the 23rd saying that he would and asked for a Paypal payment which I did the same day. I was checking his website regularly but no new stock appeared so I was expecting it to be 2-4 weeks at least before I received my light.

Well it arrived on the 29th via International Express!!! (6 days from ordering from the US to Australia!!!) - Just fantastic.

Well done Gene & Cathy!!! :twothumbs:twothumbs
EDIT: Here are a few shots of the MD3 Wildcat beside a Maglite 3W LED 2D - the Wildcat is tiny!! :party:
MD3Wildcat003.jpg

MD3Wildcat004.jpg

MD3Wildcat006.jpg

A couple of beam shots at a distance of 30 feet:
wildcatbeamshots004.jpg

wildcatbeamshots005.jpg

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The second generation Wildcat cannot take 12V, only up to 9V. The MD4 host can hold 2 wonderfully high capacity 18650 rechargeable cells that make up to 8.4 volts and have lots of ampere hour rating and thus good run time. They are much better capacity wise than 2X18500's, 3XCR123's and even better than the original set of 4 CR123 primary batteries in capacity.

That's too bad - it's really nice to have the ability to switch from 18650 to 123s and back. Imagine you are going somewhere without recharge capabilities. Then bring lots of primaries.

I have the older M60 module built specifically to accept 5-12V, I run it in a 4x123 Leef body and usually use 18650 but also 123s and it's nice, the runtime and flexibility are great.

2x18650: 2 * 4.2V * 2600 mAh = 21.8 Wh

4x123: 4 * 3.3V * 1550 mAh = 20.4 Wh

So it's very close, between Primaries and Li-Ion.

The other problem with Li-Ions is that this configuration needs protected cells, which are less reliable than non-protected ones, with less capacity. I had one from AW fail. Others have reported failure as well. Though it's usually 18500 cells that fail, I heard few 18650 failures. I generally don't use them, I use unprotected Panasonic 2900 mAh cells with great results, but in 1x18650 configuration.

For any serious business, you want to take primaries as protected AW cells will cut out on you completely in an instant.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's too bad - it's really nice to have the ability to switch from 18650 to 123s and back. Imagine you are going somewhere without recharge capabilities. Then bring lots of primaries.

I have the older M60 module built specifically to accept 5-12V, I run it in a 4x123 Leef body and usually use 18650 but also 123s and it's nice, the runtime and flexibility are great.

2x18650: 2 * 4.2V * 2600 mAh = 21.8 Wh

4x123: 4 * 3.3V * 1550 mAh = 20.4 Wh

So it's very close, between Primaries and Li-Ion.

The other problem with Li-Ions is that this configuration needs protected cells, which are less reliable than non-protected ones, with less capacity. I had one from AW fail. Others have reported failure as well. Though it's usually 18500 cells that fail, I heard few 18650 failures. I generally don't use them, I use unprotected Panasonic 2900 mAh cells with great results, but in 1x18650 configuration.

For any serious business, you want to take primaries as protected AW cells will cut out on you completely in an instant.

Except I know you can't get 3.3V under load at all. That is overly optimistic. Especially over the run time life of the battery. I would say even being generous with 3.0V under load it would more realistically be only 18.6 watt hours. And truth be told I think the real number should be somewhere between 2.7V and 3V. Most certainly not at 3.3V for primaries. You may have gotten better numbers just running a single M60 you aren't going to get those kinds of comparisons running the Wildcat head.

This is a great light and it will run of 3 primaries in the MD3 host just fine and has great balance doing so. The operator can keep a spare set of 3 primaries and have plenty of run time. But 2 18650's has more capacity than what you described versus 4 primaries for the Wildcat.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so assuming 2.85V under load:

4*2.85V*1550mAh = 17.7Wh

Too bad you cannot run unprotected 18650. Like 2900 mAh Panasonic cells. Then the Wh would be with 18650s:

24.3 Wh

Huge jump over primaries.

Mikellen

Enlightened
I am contemplating on whether I should purchase an MD3 or MD4 whenever they become available. My concern with the MD4 is that it might seem a little long in the sense that it has a rear tailcap switch and not a side switch.
For you LEOs out there is the size of the MD4 and switch location an issue with flashlight and handgun techniques?

Thanks.

Agile54

Newly Enlightened
Civie now, using an MD3 for a yr + but it all depends on the type of handheld/gun technique you employ.

I was trained w/ a SF Z2 so the MD3 w/ rear TC works for me, looking @ a SF replacement TC for the MD3.

Just my .02 > YMMV, maybe Dennis can weigh in here as he can articulate this much better than I.

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
The MD4 is sorta long for using with a handgun, but I used to use a SF 10X so it isn't impossible. However, I see no need to go so long and degrade your most important usage (self defense) when unnecessary. Actually, as a shooter and flashaholic you should have a good weapons mounted light ala X300!

I have a MD3 and it works great as a primary duty light, although I do run an X300 on my G17 and a belt mounted A2L for stealthy/incidental lighting eneds.

So I would recommend an MD3 for general use, then just get a MD4 tube for when you need longer runtime!

Dennis.

Agile54

Newly Enlightened
BINGO! A voice of reason/experienence has weighed in.

Some VERY good recs. above, ie. the X300 + spare MD4 tube :thumbsup:

Thx Dennis, bet you don't miss wielding that 10X, just turned mine.

Mikellen

Enlightened
Thank you gentlemen, your experience and recommendations are graciously appreciated. I will focus on the MD3 and hopefully one day soon it will be available with a neutral tint. One can only hope.

Thanks again!

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
Haha, I had a rule about only neutral tint lights until I saw the Olight M30 and now the Wildcat v2. Sometimes pure lumens does matter!

No worries, I am sure Gene will come out with one as soon as you get yours :)

Dennis.