MBI #3 - Codename: HF

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guy,
This is my 4th attempt to to ask a question on this thread. I get about 90% written and then they disappear and no drafts have been saved. I have just added a copper H-F to my Torpedo and other MBI's. My question is this: the instructions state that when using the HI setting, it should be limited to 10 seconds. If I use a NIMH AAA battery, and it does not get too hot to hold can I use hi for extended periods? Thanks!

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guy,
This is my 4th attempt to to ask a question on this thread. I get about 90% written and then they disappear and no drafts have been saved. I have just added a copper H-F to my Torpedo and other MBI's. My question is this: the instructions state that when using the HI setting, it should be limited to 10 seconds. If I use a NIMH AAA battery, and it does not get too hot to hold can I use hi for extended periods? Thanks!

Ed, the HF will not run on a NIMH AAA, (unless you string 3 long bodies together and run 3 NiMh :) ) it needs to use the 10250 or 10440... with the Copper, it will go more than ten seconds. I think I went 30 or more before. just need to watch the heat build up.

winsk

Newly Enlightened
...My only constructive criticism is, is it possible to have discrete stops when you rotate the tail, in the future?

I believe somewhere else in this thread Guy mentioned the possibility of developing a version of the 5 mode tail with a "click" at the beginning of mode 1 and the end of mode 5.

This would add additional resistance to prevent accidental turn on (I don't think that's really much of an issue though).
You would be able to feel the click as well as the audio cue. It's definitely a cool idea.

Really though, you must be using it in somewhat bright conditions.
Mode 1 is the perfect amount of light when you need to find something in a dark room without disturbing anyone. I use it all the time when I'm getting ready in the morning but don't want to wake up my wife.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got lucky on the timing and spotted the copper this morning. Just ordered a copper light (STT, installed) and a charger. Two separate orders, but you might as well ship them together.

I wish you the best in your recovery.
Rick Z.

Thanks very much Rick :)
Look forward to sending this out soon.
Definitely feeling better... working towards perfect, not quite there yet ;)

The copper looks awesome Guy, but I can't say I'm surprised. My Ti HF-R and charger are always on me or in my bag.

Do you still have plans to make pocket clip? I know you're incredibly busy, but I'm just wondering if it's something you're still planning to make at some point.
Hi AdamB,

Yes, I think a pocket clip would be a very cool addition :thumbsup:
Something to work towards for 2016.

Guy,
I received my Ti HFR and coreTI today. Thank you.
I played around with it, and the feedback is...
I think I'm going to sell off all my other lights.

...My only constructive criticism is, is it possible to have discrete stops when you rotate the tail, in the future?
Anyway, I'm heading back to the closet to play with my light.

Hi qmtu,

Thanks very much for the feedback :D
Discrete stops, yes I do think that would be a plus, something like winsk mentions below.
Again something I'll be working on for 2016.

I hope you have a comfortable closet :crackup:

Hi Guy,
Hi Crazyeddiethefirst,

Ahh yes, the dissapearing posts... I've had my fair share which is why now I alway copy the text I have written before hitting the submit button, just to be safe. Especially as some of my posts can be long :D

Looks like mcbrat has your answer below though...
At this time, the HF/HF-R series need a power source greater than 3V to operate so that would mean 3x AAA batteries.
An HF-R wand!!

Ed, the HF will not run on a NIMH AAA, (unless you string 3 long bodies together and run 3 NiMh :) ) it needs to use the 10250 or 10440... with the Copper, it will go more than ten seconds. I think I went 30 or more before. just need to watch the heat build up.

Thanks mcbrat :D

Why? Do you over turn it?
Hi Newguy2012,

I do that just for fun... :crackup:

The first 2 levels are so dim that sometimes I don't know if it's on without looking directly at the flashlight.

Hi again qmtu,

I find it's best not to look directly into the flashlight, rather hold the business end (lens) very close to your hand or light colored object to determine if the light is on. Under sunlight, that may not work well with mode 1 unless you create some shade (cusp your hand?) but I've blinded myself too many times, that I decided the hand method is better for my vision.

I believe somewhere else in this thread Guy mentioned the possibility of developing a version of the 5 mode tail with a "click" at the beginning of mode 1 and the end of mode 5.

This would add additional resistance to prevent accidental turn on (I don't think that's really much of an issue though).
You would be able to feel the click as well as the audio cue. It's definitely a cool idea.

Really though, you must be using it in somewhat bright conditions.
Mode 1 is the perfect amount of light when you need to find something in a dark room without disturbing anyone. I use it all the time when I'm getting ready in the morning but don't want to wake up my wife.

Thanks for summarizing winsk ;)

I'll need to make some slight changes to the internals of the tail and the driver/pcb to ensure it will always align properly inside the tail, but it is doable.

Update:
I spent all of today working on getting Copper HF-Rs ready for boxing, packing.
Managed to do some trit installs as well.

I plan on writing up some shipping labels in the daytime tomorrow (whilst I'm away from HQ) and barring any more super typhoons in this neck of the woods, hope to be shipping out the first Coppers tomorrow night :party:

Thanks as always for your patience and feel free as always to mail me directly if there's anything I can be of help with.
If possible, email is always preferable to PM'ing on CPF as I don't check my PM's nearly as often as email.

Tgwnn

Roboholic

Enlightened
Hey Guy,
Instead of clicks for the levels would it be possible to just machine in dots that would let you know which level that you were on?
Just a thought. A couple of my Michael Jordan lights have them

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Guy,
Instead of clicks for the levels would it be possible to just machine in dots that would let you know which level that you were on?
Just a thought. A couple of my Michael Jordan lights have them

Hi Roboholic,

Sure, I imagine that's possible.
I was mostly thinking of a click for getting in and out of the OFF position as that seems to have the most impactful benefit in terms of both preventing accidental On and a tactile feeling to know you've reached OFF.

I do have two new tail designs planned for sometime in the year ahead.
Once I sort out fixing the location with the driver, etc. adding holes is no biggie though it doesn't lend so well to varying numbers of modes.

Tgwnn

Newguy2012

Enlightened
What if you design the tailcap mechanism similar to a child resistant pill bottle cap? You have to push down and twist to activate. Bad idea?:whistle:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
What if you design the tailcap mechanism similar to a child resistant pill bottle cap? You have to push down and twist to activate. Bad idea?:whistle:

No idea is bad :D
They all lead to something....

Probably a little more complex to implement than just the click but a locking feature would be cool too.

I have more than a few designs that I've worked on.
This one is called the HTT (Hyper Trit Tail)

HTT_2_zpsnbyolccl.jpg

Still somewhat in-progress as I'm not confident the trits have enough protection.
May need to thicken out the metal surface around their mid section just a little.

For V1, the top has a removable, keyring attachment (half-circle) that rotates nicely into the body for possible tail standing. I have also thought about threading the inner top area to allow for other lugs, options but may leave that for the V2 HTT as first step will be to make get the "Hyper" part right.

All that along with a click at OFF.

It's one of two tail designs that I hope to realize sometime in 2016 :D

Tgwnn

Heywood Floyd

Newly Enlightened
Interesting, love the black DLC Ti.:)
Hm... just not sure about the name ... don't know why though! :D
FWIW, I reckon thickening the DLC Ti alloy on the tail most ring for protection would be best. Even if the Tritium tubes sit counter sunk they still should be visible from an end view OK.
Gravity assisted impact would likely be more of an issue than finger grip loads for switch operation. IMHO FWIW

p.s. For those of you who do really love your MBI lights, I'd be thrilled if you considered casting a vote in The 2015 Flashaholics Must-Have-List and/or leaving a few quick words over at my website on the product page (there's a simple review form at the bottom of each product page).
Pls excuse my ignorance ... some handholding here ...
I could find the review reference URLs on the product page but no review form. TIA

Mastahluong

Newly Enlightened
Made my purchase of HF-R Ti STT with Nichia 219 and ice blue trit last week. So it looks like i'll be joining the club real soon. Quick question on the HTT, even though it may be sometime before release, will it be swappable and perform how you intend it to with what I have purchased now? My main concern is since I will have this attached to my keys I'm worried about it coming on by itself in my pocket. I'm looking forward to the "click off" just a feedback its in the off position.

I cant wait to get my HF-R!

Newguy2012

Enlightened
It seem to me all his HF parts are lego-able. I don't expect HTT to be any different.
I read all the replies in this thread. I haven't heard any complains of it turning on accidentally. It remains a concern only.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, love the black DLC Ti.:)
Hm... just not sure about the name ... don't know why though! :D
FWIW, I reckon thickening the DLC Ti alloy on the tail most ring for protection would be best. Even if the Tritium tubes sit counter sunk they still should be visible from an end view OK.
Gravity assisted impact would likely be more of an issue than finger grip loads for switch operation. IMHO FWIW

Pls excuse my ignorance ... some handholding here ...
I could find the review reference URLs on the product page but no review form. TIA

Hi HF,

Thanks so much for the feedback.
The idea on increasing the tail side thickness is a good one ;)

The reviews tab... looks like it disappeared on its own!!
I'll look into that tomorrow and share my findings :)

I like the new tail, Guy! Very cool.
-Th8tredude
th8tredude !!!

Thank you :D

Made my purchase of HF-R Ti STT with Nichia 219 and ice blue trit last week. So it looks like i'll be joining the club real soon. Quick question on the HTT, even though it may be sometime before release, will it be swappable and perform how you intend it to with what I have purchased now? My main concern is since I will have this attached to my keys I'm worried about it coming on by itself in my pocket. I'm looking forward to the "click off" just a feedback its in the off position.

I cant wait to get my HF-R!

Hi Mastahluong,

Welcome to the tribe :D

Like all things HF/HF-R, the tail will be swappable.
There's no worry with accidental on's using the included keychain (it has a swivel).
The few field reports over the years have typically been inside tight-ish pockets.

I'm working quite hard to catch up on orders and expect to be able to ship yours by the weekend at latest ;)

It seem to me all his HF parts are lego-able. I don't expect HTT to be any different.
I read all the replies in this thread. I haven't heard any complains of it turning on accidentally. It remains a concern only.

Thanks Newguy ;)

Update:
I've been working solidly on testing/packing for the last 18hrs....
Somewhat a slow process but I like to test everything and packaging takes a little time too.

Making progress and hoping to be on top of things by the weekend.

:bow:

Tgwnn

Newguy2012

Enlightened
the_guy_with_no_name;4737072 [B said:
Update:
[/B]I've been working solidly on testing/packing for the last 18hrs....
Somewhat a slow process but I like to test everything and packaging takes a little time too.

Making progress and hoping to be on top of things by the weekend.

:bow:

Tgwnn

Sounds like quality Quality Control.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like quality Quality Control.

Thanks Newguy2012,

The silent sound of back breaking labor :D

Another 18hr day of checking checking checking and packing....
I'm just about on top of things now!! whew it feels good.

Just a few special custom requests left to handle but hoping to get those all wrapped up over the weekend.

Once I've had some sleep (some days from now) it'll be about time for the Zeus and Torpedo PCBs to arrive.
That... is going to be exciting!!

Oh and I've finally hunted down a PVD facility that can handle some AlTiN (essentially, that will be diamond hard, black titanium).
The coating is quite expensive based on feedback so far, so it may not be till early 2016 but I'm planning a limited run of HF-R Ti with the AlTiN coating, perhaps with the Hyper Trit Tail a few posts back.

Thanks again to everyone for your patience :bow:

Tgwnn

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Count me in for one of those AlTiN HF-Rs. Those Hyper Trits Tails would look amazing with the PVD coat. :)