"Mini Tag" Keychain/Neck Light with Builtin Recharging

Sabrewolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must say its turned into a VERY nice light. i would love to buy it, but 150 is a bit steep at the moment, so i will wish you all the best, and hope to own/buy one at some point. :)

also, i DO think $150 is a very fair price, given the amount of work that went, and is going into it.

Might I also suggest saberwolf, that you put links in your Sigline to the chimera and this light and so on? would be a great way to get attention, and make it easier for us to find those threads.

Crenshaw

Thats a Great Idea! Thanks :grin2:

The Wolf is swapping out my 2 puny LEDS
for an 6 die Ostar.:party:
He did send me the runtime -but i forgot:huh:

Cheers
Dom

I see others have the same goofy sense of humor that i do :devil:

Which Wolf?

:nana: It was a joke :whistle:

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you look at the price of other 1xAAA lights in Ti I don't see why you would think this one's price is steep, epecially when you consider the original form factor, the embeded rechargeable battery + charge circuit, the embeded charge socket and the waterproof capability, not to mention the level of customization that's offered.

Suggesting high power LEDs in such a minuscule light is a total non-sense, it would be a plain waste of money not to mention it's not technicaly very smart nor viable

lumen_eater

Newly Enlightened
Did you join to save money?

there is a lot of work and thinking behind lights like these..
And research to say the least...

Im not trying to say that it is too epensive im just saying that ther is no obviuose reason not to use an premium emmiter in an premium light.

Sabrewolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im not trying to say that it is too epensive im just saying that ther is no obviuose reason not to use an premium emmiter in an premium light.

There is no way i could possibly get a premium emitter in this light
due to its size. It is actually thinner internally than a standard Cree
led base. And even if i "Could" pull it off, I would need optics or a
reflector to properly focus the beam. And it just wont happen here
with whatever premium led you choose.

Last edited:

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
I suppose that depends on what you mean by "premium emitter." If you're talking about high-CRI Nichia 5mm LEDs, that might be do-able if Sabrewolf was so inclined, but the total power avaiable is low enough that high-CRI doesn't seem to make much difference.

If you're talking about a high power emitter (as post 93 seems to indicate) there isn't enough power storage in this light to run it. The battery will not supply that kind of current. Even if it could deliver the current it could not do so for more than a few seconds.

Now if you can point Sabrewolf to a safe, pocket-size nuclear reactor to power an XP-E or two, you might talk him in to building a thicker light, but it wouldn't be this one. Most of us (even those who cannot afford to buy one right now) think the emitters offered are a pretty good compromise with the laws of physics. :grin2:

lumen_eater

Newly Enlightened
Now if you can point Sabrewolf to a safe, pocket-size nuclear reactor
http://www.qynergy.com/pdfs/KRT-2000Datasheet022808.pdf there you go:party: not quiet enough power for an xp-e but still... :hitit:
when i could find out where to get the right plutonium isotopes it would actually be very possible to build an nuclear powered flashlight(would require only about 0.5cm^3 for a decent amount of power) but back to topic. If it really is a size issue I can understand it but it would still increase efficiency to use high powered leds and drive them low