• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Mini Turbohead M2-XML2 Direct Drive

richstag

Enlightened
Yeah buddy! I've been using it a ton. It really replaces my old old SureFire Z2. That was my real go to no nonsense SureFire. Malkoff in that though. Not even close to as bright.

richstag

Enlightened
I did not reshoot the Wiseled, and I just shoot handheld for these. Light in my left hand and camera in my right. I used the momentary on button for the Mini turbo head. Twist on may be slightly brighter. I plan to get out and reshoot the entire series from different distances on a good night. This is just a ballpark comparison.

Camera set to the exact settings, and images exported from lightroom with identical settings. Remember this is 147 meters / 160 yards.

Aiming the beam up slightly

This light is really, really bright and has an overall output that is simply awesome for a single cell pocketable bomb proof surefire host.

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited:

richstag

Enlightened
Went out with my camera for a walk in the mist, thought it would be cool to show the light cutting through.

Caught a single drop of water and a neat area in front of the lens, heat disrupting the mist.

richstag

Enlightened
Yeah man! I couldn't believe my display. I was just testing/setting exposure. Wasn't a planned shot. Thanks.

richstag

Enlightened
Thank you!! I have really taken to this light. Edc'd so far. I will post them up when I get to a computer. I tell you one thing I will look no further than oveready for all out brightness lights. This is simply an amazing piece.

Up All Night

Enlightened
Thank you!! I have really taken to this light. Edc'd so far. I will post them up when I get to a computer. I tell you one thing I will look no further than oveready for all out brightness lights. This is simply an amazing piece.
Incredible photos!

I knew you would love this torch! I followed as post after post you kind of eased your way into this (my process was the same) and all I kept thinking was "buy this thing man!".
I was tempted to add my 2 cents but really couldn't expand on what had already been opined.

I have the black neutral on a black custom cut Z2 w/ Oveready installed rings and it's perfect!! I find the DD a non issue as my use is more in the minutes at a time range and if it wasn't I'd throw on a chest rig and load up with 18650s . . . .and maybe a diffuser!
This thing is a killer!

Maxbelg

Enlightened
So I still love my C2 with Mini Turbohead and have been experimenting a bit with other batteries: As we know it runs well on a single primary CR123 with a spacer, (more than 100 lumen initially) but it runs well on a single standard chemistry 16340 and also on a 17670 (Should be safe as long as it's a single cell which is smaller than a 18650 and not IMR!) It would be very interesting to see runtime graphs comparing output and runtime with these various batteries! It also makes the Mini Turbohead very versatile and it allows the ability to choose output by battery selection.

Anybody up to doing runtime graphs with these batteries?

UPDATE WITH MY VERY INFORMAL OBSERVATIONS:

With an AW 16340 I guesstimate initial output 400-500 Lumen. After about 15min the LiCO 16340 seems to have about the same output as my HDS 250 on max (ceiling bounce test). After 20 min I stopped the test with output slightly less than the HDS and then Voltage was 3.4V but jumped back to 3.6V.

With an AW 17670 I would guesstimate around 900-1000 Lumen initially (compared to Zebralight SC62W). After 15min it seemed very much unchanged (compared to the Zebralight) and after 20 min I stopped the test and the Voltage was 3.4V and jumped back to 3.55V.

So, the 17670 doesn't seem very interesting as it is too close to 18650 with much less runtime but the single 16340 gives output in a different ballpark and could be useful to some. What's nice of course it the versatility to run off these various options if need be.

Do you think it's safe to run these batteries the way I have and is someone willing to do runtime curves?

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
There's an opposites thing with regulated vs DD lights. Regulation (see our triple) protects the battery from over discharge but the regulation itself can draw power to fast from smaller cells (risk to the cell). DD drops output to match smaller cells, preventing to fast a power draw, so the cell is fine. But DD has no protection from to large (to low resistance) a cell (risk to the LED). You can pretty much run any cell, with the following exceptions:

No IMR
One cell only (nothing over 4.5v)
Don't discharge farther than is safe for the chem of the cell

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's an opposites thing with regulated vs DD lights. Regulation (see our triple) protects the battery from over discharge but the regulation itself can draw power to fast from smaller cells (risk to the cell). DD drops output to match smaller cells, preventing to fast a power draw, so the cell is fine. But DD has no protection from to large (to low resistance) a cell (risk to the LED). ll

interesting note on my favorite single level light.

GrimReminder

Newly Enlightened
Quick snapshot.

I love this picture......I cant tell you why lol. Can you or somebody who has the Mini-Turbo and a P1R Peacekeeper take a wallshot of the two and a beamshot of the two? Im real curious to see how these two stack up compared to one another? 880arm where you at bro? Im pretty sure you own the P1R, but the review on the Turbo was a loaner Iif I'm not mistaken. Great pictures guys.

Oh before I forget I have another question about the Mini-Turbo, has one ever been offered with a smooth reflector instead of the orange peel? I wonder how much the throw distance would be increased, or would a smooth reflector just offer a more concentrated hot pot? Still learning here guys, thanks for any help that comes my way

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh before I forget I have another question about the Mini-Turbo, has one ever been offered with a smooth reflector instead of the orange peel? I wonder how much the throw distance would be increased, or would a smooth reflector just offer a more concentrated hot pot? Still learning here guys, thanks for any help that comes my way

From memory there is something special about the reflector that was the limitation (at least initially) on how many the folks at Oveready could make (limited availability). So I believe it just wasn't available in smooth.

richstag

Enlightened
My example of the MTH makes the peacemaker seem dim. I can get you beam shots some time within the week. That is unless 880 posts some first.

I love this picture......I cant tell you why lol. Can you or somebody who has the Mini-Turbo and a P1R Peacekeeper take a wallshot of the two and a beamshot of the two? Im real curious to see how these two stack up compared to one another? 880arm where you at bro? Im pretty sure you own the P1R, but the review on the Turbo was a loaner Iif I'm not mistaken. Great pictures guys.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
. . . 880arm where you at bro? Im pretty sure you own the P1R, but the review on the Turbo was a loaner Iif I'm not mistaken. Great pictures guys. . .

My example of the MTH makes the peacemaker seem dim. I can get you beam shots some time within the week. That is unless 880 posts some first.

I managed to dig up a few sets of photos. Like richstag said, the Mini TurboHead pretty much kills the Peacekeeper, which is to be expected based upon their rated outputs. In addition, the Peacekeeper has a broader overall beam profile which further spreads its output in the spill beam.

Click images for larger versions

30 Yards to Swing (November 14, 2014)

40 Yards to Swing (November 20, 2014)

100 Yards to 24" x 24" Archery Target (November 22, 2014)