Modded PGL-IIIA

StevieRay

Enlightened
Well, I was able to get the cap off with a strap wrench. Came off very easily.

What are those two little wires for inside the cap?

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
StevieRay said:
Well, I was able to get the cap off with a strap wrench. Came off very easily.

What are those two little wires for inside the cap?

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

Don't know. They don't serve a purpose though.

Whitelitee

Newly Enlightened
K got it out of the top end. On my board there are 2 resistors that are marked A475 its one from the first group buy do I remove both of them?

Whitelitee

Newly Enlightened
Damn broke one of the soilder contacts on the switch, from slidding it in out twice. And on one of the A475 capacitors. Guess I better start freshing up on my soildering, or maybe try to get one of the techs at my work to help me out tommorw. Just a FYI ... be carefull doing this and its hard to line up the switch in insertion.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
You should have only removed the capacitor marked A475 in this picture, on the back right part of the circuit board.
IMG_0743.jpg

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
you guys must be rich and brave!
i'm not smart or brave enough to mess with either of my lasers! i'm happy with it just the way it is!

Whitelitee

Newly Enlightened
Well im not rich, my laser is from the first groupbuy I have had it forawhile and its never been perfect either, it stays in a bad tem mode. I was feeling pretty brave yesterday now wishing I didnt do the operation on it. But I got the switch soilderd back on, and the one capacitor I screwed up on. Im just too affraid to put it back in the tube/housing thoe. The last 2 times I tried I couldnt get it lined up right. And the switch and capactior I fixed seem very weak. So I just put it on the shelf above my desk to mess with when I feel brave again..:ohgeez:

Yobresal

Newly Enlightened
It really isn't difficult at all to disassemble this unit. As a matter of fact it is probably easier to disassembly, modify, and reassemle this laser than a leadlight. This has got to be the easiest laser to modify I have ever owned. It really doesn't take too much bravery. And If having $215 to spend on a laser makes one rich, consider me Bill Gates. J/K. If you have two, you really ought to modify one. It is so easy, and so rewarding. The only thing you need to be careful with is the button. Like Fninja said already,make sure the button doesn't get cought on the module as you are pushing it out. The module pushes out pretty easily, but if the button gets jammed you will notice resistance, don't push it harder, slide the module back in and try again. The button stays inside the laser tube, when you pull the module out.

Madz

Enlightened
Ya its easy to mod. I lowered the pot back to the original setting though on mine. Since im gonna be leaving it on for longer lengths of time I dont want to kill it just yet lol. I didnt notice any Mode hopping and the unit didnt seem to be getting hot when I only did 30 second cycles. So, as far as I can tell turning the pot up doesnt do too much to it as long as you dont over do it.

Whitelitee

Newly Enlightened
First for me moding a leadlight was alot easyier. Part of my problem is that my module has a very tight fit in the tube. I takes a good amount of force to get it out and in, maybe I can lubercate it alittle..

MasterMind

Newly Enlightened
FNinjaP90 said:
150mw? Be careful, too much power can burn out the diode. Then.....$200 down the drain. But if you want the be the guinea pig to test the laser's limits...be my guest.

Isn't it a 1W diode, though? I suspect the only limit is based on the internal power circuit.

Yobresal

Newly Enlightened
If you are talking about the pot mod alone on the leadlight then I would have to agree with you. If you performed stage 2 and 3 modifications on your leadlight though you would probably agree with me. Getting the module out of a leadlight isn't very easy, and then you have to do some soldering as well.

Dj_sTyLz808

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys something is wrong now. I know my PGL-IIIA's average output is around 120mW's but for some reason I cant light matches anymore. It still can slice electrical tape and pop balloons with ease but for some reason I cant light matches anymore. Do you guys think that it's the matches or what? I know it aint the batteries cause I already tried some fresh e2's. Just wondering what type of matches you guys use and if you guys can light matches ALL the time. Hey by the way my laser peaks at 180mW's!!! pretty insane. Well any help is appreciated.THANKS in advance.

Latest posts