My experience with Armytek headlamps

Tulip bush

Enlightened
I'm sure you are correct. I don't have experience with the non-pro versions. However, I would probably check anyway because Armytek doesn't seem very good at updating instructions or stuff on their website in general. I can't even find that cradle that I showed in the video anywhere on the website under spare parts. Even if I had the non-pro version I would probably check by holding the button down from the off position and running through all the modes to see if it will enter the programming function.

Your right, you should definitely check, I did, but nothing happened, but it wouldn't surprise me if somebody told me otherwise.

Tulip bush

Enlightened
Anybody got a high cri wizard? I had one but sold it unfortunately when I was strapped for cash, enjoyed using it in the house, but can never remember taking it out with the dogs. Have they made any high cri tiara a1's yet?

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The non pro tiara I believe can't be set for 14500, no mention in the instructions.

My understanding is this is right. It has no low voltage protection for unprotected 14500's, and the battery meter (if it has one) is only programmed for AA, so it will always display full when used with 14500.

I have the Pro and have left it set for AA so I can use it with either without resetting it.

Anybody got a high cri wizard? I had one but sold it unfortunately when I was strapped for cash, enjoyed using it in the house, but can never remember taking it out with the dogs. Have they made any high cri tiara a1's yet?

They previously made a high CRI Tiara Pro A1 with the XM-L2 warm emitter, but appear to have discontinued it just recently.

I've had mine for about two months. No problems so far. Very warm and pleasant beam, but doesn't win any awards for brightness.

Lazyspacetruck

Newly Enlightened
Oh well. Bought a warm xpl tiara a1 pro and high cri xml2 tiara c1 pro. Hoping for good results!

I'm hoping for good results as well. Just pulled the trigger on two lights myself. I went for the partner C2 pro v3 xhp35 (warm) and the Dobermann pro xhp35 HI (warm).

Let's see what this xhp35 is all about. Let us know how your purchase goes and I'll do the same.

Heiti567

Newly Enlightened
What disturbes me most about Armytek is their handling of versions.
When you order an Armytek via a local seller or distributor you'll never know what you get.
I decided to buy a Tiara V2 Pro warm XM-L2 after I read the manual on their webside.
But the flashlight I recived had a different manual and differs in the UI and performance.
The seller ask me " how did you recognize that it is not a V2 version? ".
That is a good question because there are no version informations on the light.
The seller gave me 25€ refund just to keep me from sending it back.
He does not want to get bothered with the Tiaras any more causeed by to much breaks and acceptance.
Other deales quit selling Tiaras for the same reasons.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Lets see. Returned one XHP-50 Pro Wizard and got good CS. The Tiara XM-L Pro has a few UI bugs which on rare occasions when the right (and unknown) combinations of clicks and low battery levels come together just appear. Just a twist of the tail cap and maybe fresh battery will clear them so given the rare, rare occurrence I don't worry about it. They survived prolonged submersion, extreme cold and bad weather. Dang that XHP-50 NW has one of the best tints ever. Also feel the beam profile (all their headlamps use the same optic I think) is about the best ever for a general purpose headlamp IMHO. Just gave my uncle a CW XM-L Wizard STANDARD I got during a black Friday sale from AT. Wished I also purchased one for myself. Also the CW tint was ok.

The primary downsides are the flashing button with the Pros as people have mixed feelings and experiences with it. A website which getting the proper numbers involves a combination of cross referencing various sources, outright speculation and wishful thinking. Lack of communication on which version someone purchased (Often not on the box or instructions for some models) As for quality control as there is no reason not to believe the OP and other reports. I will say if you get a good one they're very good. As for the button color I remember the yellow buttons used to be for the Standard versions then the Pros got the white. But then the white was used for both and now the yellow is back for both. Or maybe not. Maybe it is just whatever boots they got get used? Dang if I know.

Last edited:

Heiti567

Newly Enlightened
Living close to the Netherlands I prefer cheese rather then cactus and bought some Zebralights.
But I still like my Wizard NW USB. Armytek should print their version information on the lights this way it would be easier for everyone.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
...The advantage I got was a new production light with a plastic cradle I have not seen before. It snaps in on your forehead instead of having to get the light through the rubber hoops. I like it.

Now that is a good idea.

I have owned 4 Armyteks. Three of them have, or had, electronics issues. Maybe they should think of hiring a new circuit designer?

Shaysrebellion

Newly Enlightened
Now that is a good idea.

I have owned 4 Armyteks. Three of them have, or had, electronics issues. Maybe they should think of hiring a new circuit designer?

75% failure.....wow.......not going to buy one now

I have 2 zebras, one has an electronic issue.... 50% failure
I have 2 fenix and both have parasitic drain... 100% failure

Shaysrebellion

Newly Enlightened
75% failure.....wow.......not going to buy one now

I have 2 zebras, one has an electronic issue.... 50% failure
I have 2 nitecore and both have parasitic drain... 100% failure
Cant edit post above

Had 5 surefires and all worked great, too expensive, not enough features, night bright enough, but they worked

Lazyspacetruck

Newly Enlightened
Happy New Year!
I have the replacements for the lights I returned and all seems fine so far. They have yellow buttons. My new lights were also delivered but I'm on vacation and won't see them until I return.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's interesting. Does it seem pretty secure and durable? It seems they are not selling it separate on their website, at least not yet.

I've got the silicone style. The part of the holder behind the headband is pretty thick and leaves what another CPF user called "Zebralight horns" on my forehead after extended use. It's also very hard to remove the light for handheld use. This could be better.

gunga

Flashaholic
Okay. Updates. I got my 2x tiara pro today. 11 days, decent since I ordered on Christmas day.

Tiara pro c1, high cri xml2
Tiara pro a1, warm xpl

Coincidentally I picked up a lightly used tiara pro a1, high cri xml2 yesterday from a local fellow.

While these are all v2 models, the ones from Armytek have yellow buttons and follow the manual (with two turbo modes). The local a1 has a white button, a single turbo mode and small differences in the programming interface. Annoying.

I thought I would get annoyed by the pro UI because I didn't want to learn yet another complicated light (I have lots). In the end, the extra flexibility of the pro model (especially access to moonlight when on) was appreciated and easy to master.

The flashing green state indicator is annoying. I wish I could properly shut it off. I used the control sequence in the manual and did a lot of research. No dice. On regular and turbo modes, it always flashes every 5 seconds. On moonlight, it flashes 2-3 times (Armytek direct lights) or 4-5 times (tiara bought locally) then stops. This is annoying but acceptable.I have not managed to change the behaviour of this in any way using any of the Armytek methods I've seen.

Overall the UI is quite good. I just wish I could shut off the green flashing. I also wish they were more consistent. When it is used as a headlamp, you will not really notice the flashing, but I like to use them as handheld lights, flashing is distracting and may wake the kids (it's way brighter than the moonlight mode).

Level selection is good, with nice spacing. Moonlight is a touch brighter than the crazy dim I like, but is good.

The finish is a bit chalky. Grippy, seems durable, picks up grease and dust like mad. Unique.

The lights are HUGE. The Tiara A1 (AA light) is the same size as my Zebralight H600fc iii (18650 light) except the battery tube is skinnier on the Armytek. It's comical. I know it's done to same on manufacturing costs but it's still way too big. The C1 is still big but at least it seems more justified and it fits 18350 batteries. That is cool.

The construction seems solid. I've heard of a lot of issues, especially after light usage. Hopefully I don't succumb to this.

Beam is a nice punchy flood as has been described before. my favourite beam pattern.

Tint. This is where things get interesting. The XPL "warm" is around 3800-4000K estimated. It is quite pleasant with a very mild green/yellow tinge. It's hard to really notice unless you look for it. Overall, one of the nicest XPL neutrals I have seen. The only issue is that I'm spoiled by Nichia 219A/B/C, 5D1 XML2, XML2 Easywhite etc. The green is much more noticeable when compared to some of these beautiful LEDs. Again, it's one of the niceest XPL neutral I've seen (most have been so gross and green I've modded everything to Nichia). So, by itself, it's great, but it doesn't rival a Nichia.

The high CRI XML2 is interesting. Very warm (2800-3000K) , with an orange colour cast. Very much incan like. Looks a bit dimmer than it is due to the colour. Overall, very cozy tint. Like a candle. So while it's high CRI, everything looks tinted, like an incan light. It's not for all applications, but is unique, cozy, and comfortable. Great for late at night, relaxing times. Good outdoors too.

So, all in all, I like all of them. Not perfect, not compact, but unique and usable. Nothing super annoying (except the blinking button). I know the non-pro models don't blink but I like the UI flexibility of the pro.

Overall, I'm undecided. I may return one or both of the headlamps I got from Armytek. Can't return the locally bought one but it's pretty nice. Just not sure I can justify all these, and I might just want the next gen Zebralight instead.

Last edited:

Latest posts