My experience with Armytek headlamps

gunga

Flashaholic
I'm going to return everything. I thought I could use the clips I bought on a zebralight but not without a bit of Machining or filing.

The tiara pro a1 is redundant because I got a high cri one locally.

The tiara pro c1 is nice but somehow I got screwed by ordering on the USA site vs the Canadian site (the prices are different?!). They won't refund the difference without another order.

Also, they have ignored my phone calls the the Canadian "office" and email. I finally got a response after posting on the form on my order.

I'm already leery of this company. With that kind of "service", I'd rather wait for a next generation zebralight.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to return everything. I thought I could use the clips I bought on a zebralight but not without a bit of Machining or filing.

The tiara pro a1 is redundant because I got a high cri one locally.

The tiara pro c1 is nice but somehow I got screwed by ordering on the USA site vs the Canadian site (the prices are different?!). They won't refund the difference without another order.

Also, they have ignored my phone calls the the Canadian "office" and email. I finally got a response after posting on the form on my order.

I'm already leery of this company. With that kind of "service", I'd rather wait for a next generation zebralight.
Sorry to hear that Gunga. I wonder if something is going on at the office(the holidays maybe?)because all my dealings with them have been great. They even upgraded me to faster shipping for free so a gift I bought could be here for Christmas. They also sent me a bunch of o-rings at no charge and took care of a warranty issue for me very quickly. All my emails have been answered within a couple of days and the one time I talked to them on the phone was a good experience. The lady I talked to was very friendly and helpful. I would give them a shout again man. Hope you get taken care of👍.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if they are closed or something is going on? I was a bit leery of them too and waited quite a while to try them but, I honestly have been impressed with their products and service so far. I had an issue with a light early on but, it was replaced and everything has been good since. I have been putting a lot of use on my Prime C2 Pro V3 XHP35(Warm) and it has became my favorite EDC. I have 3 of their lights now to try out and will be putting them through their paces this year. I will post my thoughts again after they have a bunch of months of hard use on them. I hope they work out because I love the 10 year warranty and having them right here in Canada to take care of us.

Lazyspacetruck

Newly Enlightened
Partner C2 pro v3 xhp35 (warm)
Dobermann pro xhp35 HI (warm)

I finally got some time to play with these two lights after New year's. They seem great. The Doberman doesn't seem as warm as I expected but I really like the tight beam pattern which is why I bought it and the cooler tint is probably better for my purposes anyway.

The partner is as expected. I bought it for my wife because she is a property appraiser and had a crappy Colman light. There's no comparison.

I just hope they last a long time. My main concern with armytek is the fact that the tiara I returned and the wizard xhp50 actually developed electrical or operating system issues but worked well from the start. As an engineer that bugs me. Well I guess that would bug anyone but here's what I'm trying to say:

I'm worried that Armytek has poor design and not simply poor quality control. I hope that is not the case because I really enjoy these lights but my gut tells me that they tend to rush to production before they have time to work out the kinks. This is why they seem to crank out one version after another so quickly. They are fixing known issues.

How did these lights develop these flickering issues without impulse force trauma? They could be getting too hot. They could have sloppy boards and conductors are too close together or pathways have some gunk on them before they are potted and the heat changes resistance until it finally fails in dramatic flickering fashion. Poor user interface programming could also be an issue.

However, like I've said before, some of my Armytek lights have been rock solid and I really like them. I have now purchased ten armytek lights and have taken advantage of warranty replacement on three. They were good to me and all lights are functional as we speak. I will update if something changes or if I buy more.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to return everything...

That's unfortunate. Hopefully the return gets sorted out.

Your comments above echo my thoughts very closely (A1 Pro, Warm, 90CRI, white button) - I was concerned the interface would be confusing. It turns out the manual is confusing, but the interface is my favorite of all my lights. The light quality is very close to an incandescent.

The flashing is obnoxious at times, and it's bulky and heavy compared to the competition, but I'm keeping mine, as the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion.

gunga

Flashaholic
Well. Armytek is finally responding. Email only. They fixed the pricing on the tiara c1 high cri, so I'll keep it (tint and size is nicer than the a1 high cri, less orange). I'm returning the tiara a1 and clips. Took effort but seems like they are dealing with things.

Last edited:

Lazyspacetruck

Newly Enlightened
Excellent ! Unbelievable how they keep gnawing !!!

What you may not understand is these lights are great for my use. I'll explain:

I don't just put these on a shelf and play with them or use them on camping trips. My guys work with these things all day. They are in attics and crawl spaces and everywhere in-between. My guys will toss them to each other and they are not NBA stars. Although, to be fair, a simple toss and catch is harder when you are in an attic walking on ceiling joists. I probably use my lights more in a week than most do in a year.

I was lucky that the lights I've had to return didn't have much use (no jobsite use except for hours of paint work) and I could tell for sure that the problem was a defect and not because we drop these things a LOT. Most of the time they fall on wood but sometimes they fall on concrete or tile. My oldest XM-L2 has probably been dropped more than most people's lights get dropped over 10 years.

Yes I'm critical of Armytek because I hold them to a high standard. That doesn't mean I don't respect what they have done with the design and construction of these lights. They just need to spend more time in R&D phase and do their very best with quality control in my humble opinion.

They may take a financial hit in the beginning but it would likely be a viable investment. I believe it would benefit their financial bottom line in the long run. But this is a decision they have to balance with other considerations as well, such as the financial benefit of cranking out tons of new versions of lights with new emitters that people buy like candy and then set on a shelf where they will never know that their particular light has an issue that will develop after 160 hours of use.

It may be simpler than that though. It may be that the designs are awesome and the production process is to blame. I have friends who have had China mass produce some promotional products and they generally send samples before they fire up a production run. My advice is for Armytek to abuse these samples and try to make them fail or send them to product testers who will do it. Sending samples to members of this forum would not be a bad idea.

These lights are tough. That's why I like them. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a better option. I have some 18650 batteries with dented positive conductors due to impact. These lights have beefy springs on the negative terminal but if they had springs on both sides, they would be even more durable. The trade off is size. But if the springs are produced with a good "k" factor (F=kX) they would likely not require much length to dissipate external impulse force without damaging the battery or the positive end of the light.

It's a physics problem, more specifically a dynamics problem that can be solved. It depends on the maximum desired height of fall, average mass of an 18650, mass of the light, and the maximum desirable spring length would be a constraint that would be a factor as well. It would be an iterative calculation though because the mass of the light and center of mass of the light+battery combination would change slightly every time you change the spring and housing lengths. The oscillating frequency would change as well. Ever seen one of those as-seen-on-TV shake weights? Ok, now I'm just rambling. Time for sleep.

I want a headlamp that has a battery sandwiched between two strong springs and is built like a tiny tank. Anyone?

gunga

Flashaholic
Well. I got my refund but they didn't refund the 12% tax. :(

More Chasing to be done. This is clearly a Chinese company with a Canadian warehouse. Canadian companies don't operate like this.

gunga

Flashaholic
I paid to armytek. I'm just making a comment because they keep advertising about being Canadian. They don't provide Canadian service. From what I have seen over decades of purchases. Nonetheless the comment is not too relevant. I'm just annoyed at how much work was needed to use my 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

Weeks to get a response, then mistakes and missing details. Annoying.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I paid to armytek. I'm just making a comment because they keep advertising about being Canadian. They don't provide Canadian service. From what I have seen over decades of purchases. Nonetheless the comment is not too relevant. I'm just annoyed at how much work was needed to use my 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

Weeks to get a response, then mistakes and missing details. Annoying.

Sorry to hear that, gunga. Hope things get resolved soon and in a satisfactory manner. Apologies for encouraging you to try Armytek.

Trango

Newly Enlightened
It may be a bit off topic, but anyone knows if Nkon is dropping Armytek lights? They have lowered the price on all of them and only have 4 models on the list now. Something similar was going on with Fenix before they dropped them.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Getting ready for a multi day hot tent outing maybe later this weekend. Going to pack the Wizard. Also I have at least 1000 foot miles on the Tiara and much of that at night. I am not worried about any potential failure during this weekends outing but always pack two lights.