My New Malkoff Projects

SEMIJim

Enlightened
I'm definitely interested in #2 and #3.

It'll be interesting to see how you accomplish #2, fully heat-sinked. I'm confident it's possible, despite the fact somebody not long ago asserted the Terralux drop-ins were they way they were because it was "impossible" to heat sink a drop-in properly.

#3 is interesting, as well. I've been interested in a "floody" Mag-format light for some time. I think there's a good market for it, Elektrolumens appears to have abandoned that segment, and nobody else appears to be doing it. I suspect the challenge will be coming up with some kind of assembly that you can easily install. IIRC, the reason Wayne stopped doing these is he felt they were too labour-intensive for the return.

Of course: What I'm interested in and what I have the money for aren't the same thing :awman:, so don't take anything like my comments above as any kind of indication of my intent to purchase.

max52

Newly Enlightened
How do I get on you're mailing list! I like all of your proposals

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
SEMIJim said:
It'll be interesting to see how you accomplish #2, fully heat-sinked. I'm confident it's possible, despite the fact somebody not long ago asserted the Terralux drop-ins were they way they were because it was "impossible" to heat sink a drop-in properly.

Yeah, the drop-in is a great idea. I don't think the word "impossible" was really the intention literally for the Terralux camp. I think those guys meant something more along the lines of that they didn't "feel it was worth the cost to develop" or "didn't feel there was enough interest from a mass-market standpoint". Either way, this will be a great opportunity for Gene and great for us flashaholics! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Gene43

Enlightened
No prototypes as of yet. But several parts of prototypes. As soon as I get something halfway together, another little light bulb goes off in my head. Then I have to tear things down to make changes. Eventually things get too cut up. Then a build a new one incorporating the changes. Unfortunately it takes time and money, which are available in limited quantities. You can get on my mailing list by creating an acct on the website www.malkoffdevices.com .

Thanks, Gene

Optic Nerve

Newly Enlightened
Gene ,
The P-60 drop in you are talking about, is that a LED drop-in for a surefire 6p flashlight? If it is, I am very interested?

Gene43

Enlightened
Yes an LED drop-in for a Surefire 6P flashlight and any other lights that will take the
P-60 module that are 6volts and maybe a little above.

Cerberus

Newly Enlightened
That all looks very promising............I especially like the tri-led drop in that is mentioined above:grin2:

Cerberus

Gene43

Enlightened
The tri-led wouldn't be a dropin. It would be similar, except in output of course, to my current Mag Mod.

Each of the Leds could be driven separately, but battery life on 3D's would probably be less than an hour, maybe 2 hrs on nimh.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I think I'd rather have a compromise between runtime and absolute brightness on the Tri-LED version. 2100mA between 3 SSCP4s is still really good while alsol having good runtime if I'm understanding to idea for it.

waynejitsu

Enlightened
I will send my light this week.
I know I will like this mod even better:)

Gene has the best customer service and he really wants you to be happy with your mod..., with these lights, how can you help but be happy!!

OCEANBEAMER

Newly Enlightened
Gene,#2&#3 both sound fantastic.........time to put on a few full time employees,,your wife&kids come first or theres hell to pay at home....good luck and I will be eagerly looking forward to your excellant products and outstanding ideas...you are a credit to this hobby/tool industry and you are to be commended for your more than fair ,and somewhat surpriseing full money back guarentee!! bravo!

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene43 said:
The tri-led wouldn't be a dropin. It would be similar, except in output of course, to my current Mag Mod.

Each of the Leds could be driven separately, but battery life on 3D's would probably be less than an hour, maybe 2 hrs on nimh.

Hmm... that would just about kill all the runtime huh?
What do you think? 1@ per led? or tone it down a bit to get a little more runtime? Perhaps a 2 stage switch so that we get could both?

daveman

Enlightened
I'm glad you plan on offering even more mods to the public, Gene. After sampling your modified 2D Mag, I can honestly say that your works are top notch quality and solid all around. On one hand I sincerely hope you'll sellout your local Home Depot's stock of Mags, but I really wish to keep such marvelous lights to myself. Oh well...can't have it both ways. I am waiting for your next mod, Gene.

David