My toddler is afraid of the dark...

Chicago X

Enlightened
My daughter tossed my HDS in the fireplace when she was about 1 year old (she used it as her nightlight when we were traveling). The fire was out and the light came out dirty, but fine:thumbsup:
She has her own HDS B42 with a high CRI Seoul now:devil:

Makes sense to me......it's a bright torch, and she was trying to light the fire. :)

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
My daughter loves the Zzz..Light. RGB led, shake to turn it on/off, auto-shutoff after ten minutes or so, not bright but more than enough light to keep the monsters under the bed, etc.

ryaxnb

Newly Enlightened
How about an LED Life Lite.
They cant be taken apart, a huge plus, cant be swallowed, have long runtimes, arent all that bright, and run about 20-40 hours on their builtin 3AA batteries.

GPB

Enlightened
I use the Nite Ize 2-6 battery led conversion bulbs. Each of my 2 boys have them. I've tried a number of different size lights and these work the best because the lights are big enough ( I use a 2D and a 2C host ) that they don't get played with as toys. They had a tendency to take their minimags out to the treehouse, on sleepovers, to the couch-fort, etc and they'd get lost. These bulbs will light with almost no juice left in a battery, so when I change batteries out of their toys, I use them for their lights. I also use rechargeable AA cells in adapters. They have an incredible run time even when I feed them half dead cells, and there's no small parts to get eaten or choked on. The advantage to a flashlight over a plug in nightlight is that they can take it with them if they need to go to the bathroom, and they can move it around to point at different shadows. The nightlights always caused some very scary shadows on the wall. I also think they find it empowering to be able to put it on the nightstand, or take it under the covers, or point it at the closet door. These bulbs aren't all that bright, but as a nightlight they're great.

Another option I've used is to put a mini-mag multi-mode LED into a 2 D cell mag. That will run forever and on high be a serviceable light for other use as well. The problem for me is I only have 1 of these set ups and 2 kids. They'd both want that one if I used it.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
My daughter loves the Zzz..Light. RGB led, shake to turn it on/off, auto-shutoff after ten minutes or so, not bright but more than enough light to keep the monsters under the bed, etc.

Too bad nobody in Norway have them. Could get my HDS back from our daughter...

YIKES

Newly Enlightened
To echo another poster above, I would recommend something that can't cause eye damage when stared at for a long time.

I would also avoid lithium chemistries.

Kids do strange stuff sometimes. ;)

What you haven't licked a 9v when you where younger? I used to take apart every flashlight I saw. Batt chem can be dangerous. I work at a hospital, kid have swallowed batt for different reasons. Some think it'll give em energy.:sick2:

They can't swallow this one, however I manged to pull them apart at the age of 3. I don't think normal kids would attempt it.

Bright enough but not blinding.

Elliott
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png

Gaffle

Enlightened
I used to have one of these. Somehow I lost it. The good shake lights are dim enough and they can be left on all night long with no issues. No batteries with these badboys.

aramid

Newly Enlightened
I like the idea of an E01 on a lanyard.

That said, I was always very impressed by what my uncle did when my young cousin was afraid of the dark. He built a "Monster Detector." Basically, it's a Radio Shack project box containing a 9v battery, a momentary switch, and one green and one red 5mm LED. The green LED, labeled "SAFE" is hooked to the battery through the switch and an appropriate resistor. The red LED, labeled "DANGER", isn't connected. Decorate to taste.

I know it's not the CPF way, but it's cheap, safe, and effective.

motorwerks

Newly Enlightened
I bought my kids (2 years old) Fulton lights and I dropped in the cheap 1 watt LEDS....... haven't had to change the battery's just yet but I know its coming.... soon. They are bright enough for them to see, not really bright enough to blind one another. They kill me with them we turned off all the lights in the house a few weeks ago and they would run around with them on up an down the hallway just LAUGHING!!!

Chicago X

Enlightened
:laughing: Doesn't quite solve my problem though:nana:

Solves one of mine.... :devil:

You know, Super Dave's suggestion of the electric glow stick is a very good one. I have a couple, and the runtime is staggering considering the batteries.

Notsure Fire

Enlightened
I bought my kids (2 years old) Fulton lights and I dropped in the cheap 1 watt LEDS....... haven't had to change the battery's just yet but I know its coming.... soon. They are bright enough for them to see, not really bright enough to blind one another. They kill me with them we turned off all the lights in the house a few weeks ago and they would run around with them on up an down the hallway just LAUGHING!!!

lol that's funny. Same thing would probably happen if you gave a light to a monkey for the first time.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solves one of mine.... :devil:

You know, Super Dave's suggestion of the electric glow stick is a very good one. I have a couple, and the runtime is staggering considering the batteries.

Know anyplace outside of the US that sell them? Think the site is US only:shakehead

Chicago X

Enlightened
Know anyplace outside of the US that sell them? Think the site is US only:shakehead

I don't, but there's a retail store close to my house that does. PM me if you want me to grab and ship some.

bfayer

Newly Enlightened
For a toddler you need something they cant take apart and eat :) (Oh yes, if they can they will, and I have X-rays to prove it :eek:oo:)

Get the Playskool Color Glow and put in Eneloops. It has a spring loaded switch on the handle that when let go, it turns itself off in 30 seconds or so. but as soon as the kid squeezes the handle again it comes back on. If you must, drop in an led to replace the bulb. To change the batteries you need to use a screwdriver.

They can drop it, throw it, puke on it, and it keeps working. It's large enough, and brightly colored enough that it wont get lost.

It also has a knob that allows the color of the light to be changed by the child.

yglass

Newly Enlightened
My 3 year old loves to use my Photo Rex and also has one of these:

lego-key-light.jpg

This is really cute.
Where can you get this? My nephew is afraid of the dark too and he is always playing with lego.

By the way, my toddler is afraid of the dark when we travel in the car. I had depleted my car battery when I forgot to switch it off a couple of times. Which light do you recommend?