Name your fave vintage sci-fi movie...

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
nikon said:
That one with the pods replacing everyone on Earth. Why can't I remember the name? :hairpull:

The day of the triffids.

Is it Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

dfred

Enlightened
Lots of good ones mentioned so far.

James Whale's Frankenstein (1931) has already been mentioned, but two more of his films are also sci-fi classics: The Invisible Man (1933) and Bride of Frankenstein (1935). (And, incidentally, the 1998 biopic about Whale's later years, "Gods and Monsters", was excellent.)

A more obscure one that sticks in my mind is Island of Terror (1966) with Peter Cushing. Saw this when I was a kid and it scared the crap out of me. Definitely a B-movie, but well done.

If Alien is old enough to be fair game, then Bladerunner should be included too.

gorn

Enlightened
nerdgineer said:
This Island Earth (not available in DVD as far as I know).

Well it kinda is available. It's the movie being shown in Mystery Science Theater 3000 the move.

How about The Omega Man or it's grandfather The Last Man On Earth with Vincent Price.

Panic in the year zero
The Giant Gila Monster
Night of the Blood Beast

I love the old sci fi stuff

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
nikon said:
That one with the pods replacing everyone on Earth. Why can't I remember the name? :hairpull:

The day of the triffids.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers, when they find out you are not one they open their mouth and a weird scream comes out as they point at you. They get you while you sleeeeeeeeep.

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
gorn said:
Well it kinda is available. It's the movie being shown in Mystery Science Theater 3000 the move...
Yeah I've seen that one - no DVDs available though, and I kind of liked TIE in it's original form. There were certainly a lot of other movies from back then more worthy of caricaturization (Giant Gila Monster, Creeping Terror, Devil Girl from Mars, Night of the Lepus, Attack of the Crab Monsters, Billy the Kid vs. Dracula - I could go on...)...:)

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not my favorite but a decent one that hasn't been mentioned yet...The Time Machine (1960). Saw it for the first time on TV back around 1970. I thought the Morlocks would make an interesting Halloween costume.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
There were so many sci-fi and space operas in the 50's and 60s.

I remember vividly scenes from The Time Machine even though I was only 5 or 6 when I first saw it. The story was adapted to the sceen very well.

Another favorite was A Boy and his Dog a 1975 movie based on a Halen Elison novella. Think post apocolypse survival for a teenager. I liked the story better than the movie.

Early nightmares; "The blob" and "Them!"

"Soylent green" was a good movie in so many ways. It has a great punchline.

"Andromeda Strain" has not held up too well upon recent viewings, but it was still a great concept that will keep you guessing till the end. The special effects don't live up well to current standards.

Powernoodle and I have similar tastes, I see. Raquel Welch in Fantastic Voyage was a teenager's dream come true.

No one mentioned "Logan's Run"? The ultimate solution to trusting those over 30.

Yes, clasics.

Daniel

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
clarky said:
Enemy Mine, not vintage in the grand scheme of things, but I was born in 1980.

Enemy Mine is quite a good movie...although it is only part of the book "Manifest Destiny" by Barry Longyear.

Good calls on "Logans Run" and "Planet of the Apes" - Any Sci-Fi that is set in a post apocolypse type future always does it for me.

As for me, my favorite Sci-Fi movie is "Star Wars - A New Hope", I watched it when it first hit the UK cinima's, I was around 5 or 6 years old...it and it's sequals dominated my childhood...awesome, simply awesome, I'd never seen anything like it.

BTW, the originl version of "The Thing" ain't that good IMO, the remake with Kurt Russell was fantastic though!

CFU

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
tradderran said:
Forbidden planet. teenagers form outer space. The moon men.
beyond the stars. 100000 miles from earth.
Great B moves.:popcorn:
1957 Chev convertible your best gal and the drive in on saturday night.
those were the days my friend. Also 19cent Ethel gas. .25 hamburgers 5 cent
coke Yes we had it made.
Now if I only had a time machine:whistle: :candle:
19 cent / gallon gas! Now I'm older than you and the best I remember seeing was 25 cent/ gallon regular. Where'd you have 19 cent ethel?
- well movies - I don't think this is especially vintage but 'The Matrix' (big surprise right?) would be one of my favorites. Starman is a good one but still not that old. Older than that the ones mentioned so far are right up there as good ones I remember.

Last edited:

goldenlight

Enlightened
All time favorite Sci-Fi movie of all time is "Blade Runner", starring Harrison Ford.

Directed by Ridley Scott, (Who also directed "Alien") with an excellent supporting cast, ( Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Edward James Olmos, M. Emmet Walsh, Daryl Hannah) this is a movie I can watch every 6 months or so. Since 1982.

I didn't like the ending on the 'directors cut' version at all, though. The original ending is much better, IMHO.

My second vote would go to "Alien"; mentioned by others. Sigourney Weaver as an action hero. Odd concept. And it worked.

"Aliens" was a rare sequel that, while much different in flavor from the original (more action, less 'atmosphere') was a very, very good movie in it's own right, making the cover of Time magazine when it was released. It would be my third choice.

CobraMan

Newly Enlightened
How about these:
Phase IV
Outland
Blade Runner
The Omega Man
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Brainstorm
Andromeda Strain
Godzilla Movies
Mad Max
Terminator I and II
Brazil

Of course, I do like most of the ones listed already as well.

Cheers,
Tim

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
scott.cr said:
"The Day the Earth Stood Still" - GREAT movie.

+1

All time fave: Forbidden Planet - 1956
Close second: 2001 A Space Odyssey - 1968

Other oldies I still enjoy:

A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove
Andromeda Strain
Predator
Aliens
Colossus - the Forbin Project
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
King Kong (original version)

Lightmeup

Enlightened
When I was a kid, on Sunday mornings I used to love watching those serials they showed in theaters in the 40's and 50's, as reruns on TV. Flash Gordon, Commando Cody-Sky Marshal of the Universe, Radar Men from the Moon, etc. They were fake and corny by today's standards, but still a lot of fun. I'd like to find them on DVDs as collections.

lukus

Enlightened
gadget_lover said:
I remember vividly scenes from The Time Machine even though I was only 5 or 6 when I first saw it.
Daniel

Me too, I probably saw it when I was 5 or 6 and I still have memories of the girl with two belly buttons. I'm afraid if I were to see it again that scene wouldn't live up to my memories.

+3 on "Brainstorm". Early '80's movie, excellent story that makes you think. Natalie Wood's last movie (I still think she was pushed).

Another movie I saw when I was a kid that I remember being scary and staying with me for a long time was "Gargoyles". Not really sci fi exactly, but I'd watch it again for kicks.

Turner Classic Movies shows a lot of the 50's and 60's sci fi every year leading up to Halloween. That's always hoot!

Best series ever has to go to "Babylon 5". Great characters, and the storyline so well developed you'd think it was a stenographer just recording a possible future history as it's made.

"Starship Troopers". One of the best books ever turned into a horrific piece of crap, awful movie ever. I've always wanted to see "Tunnel in the Sky" turned into a movie, but it would have to be done right.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
lukus...

I've always wanted to see "Tunnel in the Sky" turned into a movie, but it would have to be done right.

That's a great book.
smile.gif

CFU