Name your fave vintage sci-fi movie...

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitroz said:
War of the Worlds 1953

Me too.

Time Machine w/Rod Taylor
Godzilla and the black-silver striped alien/numanoid beings. I forget that title.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
dfred said:
A more obscure one that sticks in my mind is Island of Terror (1966) with Peter Cushing. Saw this when I was a kid and it scared the crap out of me. Definitely a B-movie, but well done.

+1

This film really scared me when I saw it as a young kid.

The creatures were horrible indeed - especially the bizarre manner by which they killed their prey - although the FX seem lame by the standards of today.

The scene where Peter Cushing had to cut his buddy's arm off with an ax really freaked me out.

Hammer Films made a number of decent horror flicks during the 1960s with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Not SCI-FI, but the movie that scared the holy he77 out of me was one of the Friday the 13th movies...

The scene where the arrow comes up through the kid in the bed made the whole theater jump!

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vintage sci-fi huh? Ok here are a few of my favorites

1. Star Trek (original)
2. Battlestar Galactica (original)
3. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Disney)
4. Fantastic Voyage
5. Dr Who (original)
6. Planet of the Apes (original)
7. The Omega Man
8. Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
9. Seaquest DSV
10. ST Deep Space 9

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

aikiman44

Enlightened
Movies!
But the original Galactica dropped your IQ 5 points every time you watched.
The new one is incredible.
As Dwight Schrute said to someone who doesn't watch: "You're an idiot."

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I somehow missed this thread, and when I saw the title, The time Machine, Silent Running, Zardoz, and Fahrenheit 451 immediately came to mind! rainyday nailed Silent Running, nerdgineer got Zardoz, (I have on tape) and TheMechanic listed Fahrenheit 451.

Lukus is obviously a fellow Heinlein phreak, and I agree that Tunnel in the Sky could make a good flik! Starship Troopers isn't the only RAH that saw the silver screen. I forget the other, which to have been done faithfully, would have need a serious "R!" I think it predated the ratings system. I read Methuslah's Children in the fourth grade, which would have been ~50 years ago. :green:

Larry

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
There are lots of Heinlein fans on this board. Tanj! One might even think that I might be one if they knew my e-mail address.

I almost mentioned Zardoz, but thought it would be too obscure for anyone to appreciate.

Daniel

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
:wave: Dan,

I have every novel by RAH published, except for The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Starship Troopers, which I loaned to a brother several years ago, and have yet to replace. :rant: I look forward to rereading them all again someday! The other RAH that was made into a movie was The Puppet Masters. (I just checked my bookshelf.)

Larry

lukus

Enlightened
nerdgineer said:
I don't remember any girl with 2 belly buttons in "Time Machine". I do however remember the first (rarely aired) pilot episode of Gene Rodenberry's "Genesis II" where Mariette Hartley played the mutant babe in a bare midriff outfit who was showing hero Dylan Hunt (played by Alex Cord, and yes Gene did re-use the name for Andromeda) around a future, semi-dystopic earth. She had 2 belly buttons (arranged vertically, maybe 3" apart), a sign of her mutant adaptation, and very nice features above and below.

You're right. For some reason my mind was associating the mutants with hiding from Morlocks. I was 6 or 7 when I saw it.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
ringzero said:
The scene where Peter Cushing had to cut his buddy's arm off with an ax really freaked me out.

Hammer Films made a number of decent horror flicks during the 1960s with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

If I remember correctly, his arm was cut off. I haven't seen that movie since I was a child and it scared me too.

Other British sci-fi movies I liked: "5 million years to Earth" (aka "Quatermass and the Pit") and some movie about radioactive mud coming up from the ground that gave me a nightmare. There was another really scary one about a man that turned into a vulture like creature I can't remember the name of either.

Has anybody seen the 1985 movie "Lifeforce"?

Last edited:

WNG

Enlightened
LowBat said:

Wasn't that the one claiming vampire legend was real. Based on spaceship trailing Halley's Comet?
And an alien with a great rack?

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
LowBat said:
If I remember correctly, his arm was cut off. I haven't seen that movie since I was a child and it scared me too.

Now that I think about it you're correct, it was Peter Cushing's arm that got chopped off to save his life after one of the creatures latched onto it.

LowBat said:
some movie about radioactive mud coming up from the ground that gave me a nightmare.

That may have been "X the Unkown" with Dean Jagger IIRC.

LowBat said:

Yes - pretty ridiculous even for a cheap horror movie. However, it was somewhat redeemed by a space vampire played by some amazingly beautiful French actress who did all her scenes nude.

Another film that gave me horrible nightmares as a child was "Atomic Submarine." An American nuclear sub chases, then rams into an alien spaceship under the Arctic ice pack. The spaceship rapidly grows shut around the sub's hull, trapping it. The sailors must exit through a deck hatch into the interior of the alien ship. As they make their way deeper into the ship, they are killed one by one in various gruesome fashions by the ship. Those who survive to reach the center of the ship encounter a huge, single-eyed, tentacled, alien.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
ringzero said:
That may have been "X the Unkown" with Dean Jagger IIRC.
Yes that was it! I also see on IMDB it was filmed in Beaconsfield, England. By coincidence my family lived there for eight years before I was born, about the time the movie was made.

ringzero said:
Yes - pretty ridiculous even for a cheap horror movie. However, it was somewhat redeemed by a space vampire played by some amazingly beautiful French actress who did all her scenes nude.
Mathilda May was the actress, and yes she kinda stole the movie. Another actor in that movie was Patrick Stewart, who two years later would take command of the Enterprise D.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
analogguy said:
How about "Kronos" and "Earth vs. the Flying Saucers"?

Kronos was a childhood favorite. The sound effects were really cool for Kronos as it strode across the countryside demolishing everything in its path.

"Earth vs. the Flying Saucers" - for some reason I didn't see it until I was too old to fully appreciate it.

"Chiller Theater" was a weekly TV show that specialized in horror-sci-fi and screened movies late on Friday nights.

Typical "Chiller Theater" fare (plus movies already mentioned):

"Attack of the Giant Leeches"
"Attack of the Crab Monsters"
"Attack of the Killer Shrews"
"Attack of the Fifty-Foot Woman"
"From Hell it Came"
"House on Haunted Hill"
"Tarantula"
"It Came from Outer Space"
"Zontar - Thing from Venus"
"20 Million Miles to Earth"
"Angry Red Planet"
"Queen of Outer Space"
"Cat Women of the Moon"
"Journey to the Seventh Planet"
"The Beast from Haunted Cave"
"The Black Scorpion"
"Valley of the Gwangi"
"Curoco - Beast of the Amazon"
"The Wasp Woman"
"Green Slime"
"The H-Men"
"The Mysterians"
"Not of this Earth"
"Rodan"
"Godzilla"
"The Lost World"
"The Giant Behemoth"

and many others whose titles I can't recall at the moment.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a movie called "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun" that had an interesting plot. There was an identical Earth in a solar orbit that we couldn't see. The opposite Earth was a complete mirror image, and each Earth launched a mission to their opposites at the same time. I think this was based on a Twilight Zone episode with the similar theme of an astronaut returning home and gradually noticing things were different.

Speaking of Sci-Fi's based on previous works, the Star Trek episode "Arena" (Gorn, Vasquez Rocks) was based on an Outer Limits episode called "Fun and Games".

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
LowBat said:
Other British sci-fi movies I liked: "5 million years to Earth" (aka "Quatermass and the Pit")
I forgot all about that film...it would make my list too. Love the part where they tap into the alien's mind and see the insect war on their home planet.

-=[ Grant ]=-