New 1150 Lumen Malkoff Wildcat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The only times I've had problems is when the ring loosens causing flickering/intermittant electrical connection.

Bill

scout24

Flashaholic
Okay, silly question time... Can the V4 run safely at reduced output on two 123 primaries? The single 18650 size appeals to me, and I always have primaries for backup. I tried looking on the website, but the page is gone. I know it will physically make light, just want to know if it's safe for the cells. Long "Malkoff Taper"? Or quick shutdown? Thanks in advance... :)

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, silly question time... Can the V4 run safely at reduced output on two 123 primaries? The single 18650 size appeals to me, and I always have primaries for backup. I tried looking on the website, but the page is gone. I know it will physically make light, just want to know if it's safe for the cells. Long "Malkoff Taper"? Or quick shutdown? Thanks in advance... :)

I would not recommend doing that because of the current load on the primary batteries.
It will run at full otput on a pair of 18350 batteries, and I do that frequently. It's just a short run time, and you have to watch that you don't over-discharge them because the have no internal protection circuits.
or, you can run at reduced output on a 18650.

jso902

Enlightened
I've been using the 1x18650 setup in an md2 regularly because my batteries aren't long enough for the md4 host. I suspect its because my cells aren't button cells. As for a decreased output, two rcr123 cells in serieswill likely maintain the higher voltage/output. But i believe the concern with this setup is the amp draw.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Once I tried Wildcat v4 with 3xCR123 and the cells became terrifying hot after a while continious run, so I guess primaries should not be used more than very short time with Wildcat. But I don't know what's the output is with 2xCR123.

scout24

Flashaholic
Thanks for the replies, folks. Still amazed at the output on a single 18650, that's now my preferred carry option. Low-level on primaries works great, short runs (a minute or two) on high seem like they should be ok. I did try two primaries for a couple minutes, they didn't get too warm. No more so than in my M6... :)

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once I tried Wildcat v4 with 3xCR123 and the cells became terrifying hot after a while continious run, so I guess primaries should not be used more than very short time with Wildcat...

Just curious what brand cells you were using?

Several times a week we run our V4 Wildcats for 15-20 minutes continuous on 3xCR123's…either Surefire or Battery Station.

Aside from a few bad Surefire cells (same batch), we've never had a problem.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious what brand cells you were using?

Several times a week we run our V4 Wildcats for 15-20 minutes continuous on 3xCR123's…either Surefire or Battery Station.

Aside from a few bad Surefire cells (same batch), we've never had a problem.

I used Titanium Innovation triple pack. Maybe it's difficult to explain how hot they became, but I could barely hold them in my hand, close to burning hot. According to what I read about risk with lithiums I found it a bit terrifying.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.

That explains a lot. After doing some extensive testing a few years ago, I'll never use those cells again.

I thought they are good quality for the money. And the idea with double and triple pack is great(and no extra cost per cell compared to single cell).
I have used this battery brand a lot with good result, though I have not compared the performance to more expensive brands.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought they are good quality for the money.

Myself and others who have tested them have found the opposite.

My biggest concern is how inconsistent their cells are, some cells from the same batch will heat up dangerously.

Surefire or BatteryStation are the only cells I trust.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought they are good quality for the money. And the idea with double and triple pack is great(and no extra cost per cell compared to single cell).
I have used this battery brand a lot with good result, though I have not compared the performance to more expensive brands.
I used to use TI but what made me stop is that they smelled so funky in my battery carriers that when I'd open the carriers up... no bueno

CustomShadow

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but how do you tell what version of Wildcat you have? I think mine is a V4 with 1150 lumens? I purchased it in 2013 with the MD4 body.

Thx.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but how do you tell what version of Wildcat you have? I think mine is a V4 with 1150 lumens? I purchased it in 2013 with the MD4 body.

Thx.

:welcome:
If you bought it new in 2013 then it is V4. The only difference between V3 and V4 is a change from XP-G to XP-G2 emitters so if you can actually see the LEDs, you can easily tell them apart. However, the optic on the Wildcat makes this hard to do without removing it first.

As another point of reference, I bought my V4 (S/N 472) in August of 2012. If your serial number is higher, then that would be another indication.

Status
Not open for further replies.