New 2nd Generation Cree XP-G2 LED!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, the more light that hits the reflector, the brighter the hotspot and transition areas will be. That translates to better throw. Sorry, you're wrong.

More generally, the more light that hits the secondary optic or reflector, the more light is in a beam. All light that does not hit the optic or reflector is spill (Or lost inside the light head).

The smaller the apparent source, the more light will be in the 'center' of the hot spot; the larger the source, the more light is outside the 'center' of the beam. This is because reflectors and optics focus perfect points into perfect beams of light (See: Parabola). An imperfect point makes an imperfect beam of light (With diffusion and the hotspot/transition/spill) as seen in flashlights.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a picture of the DA1400.

6039f1d7.jpg

If this is the die used in the G2, then it would explain the numbers for the wider viewing angle.

Also, on the topic of the off topic discussion, the farther away the point on a reflector is from the emitting source, the more accurately reflected the light from the source will be from that point. This is because as you get farther and farther away from the source, it looks more and more like a point, which is easier to focus. So, more light hitting a reflector may increase the corona or the round part that fills in the sides of the square, but not always will it mean more throw, since "throw" takes into account lux, divergence, and the gradient between hotspot and spill, if applicable.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my understanding the XR-E R2 90 degree view angle is what made it throw better than XP-E R4's. I Build identical P60 drop-ins and had some misc lights. All things being equal the smaller view angle XR-E R2 always threw more.

So, hopefully the new XP-G can offer tighter beam in P60 drop-ins and being more efficient more easily hit 400~450 real OTF lumens.

I can already picture this new emitter driven at 2A bonded directly to a copper slug heatsink and a 3in SMO reflector...!!!!!!

bigC

fyrstormer

Banned
From my understanding the XR-E R2 90 degree view angle is what made it throw better than XP-E R4's. I Build identical P60 drop-ins and had some misc lights. All things being equal the smaller view angle XR-E R2 always threw more.
The XR-E's 90 degree radiation pattern meant that its spill was tighter, because the normal radiation pattern was pre-collimated by the built-in optic above the die. However, that optic had the same effect on ALL the light coming from the die, so the brightness and tightness of a reflector-generated hotspot wasn't affected significantly, since the hotspot radiation pattern is so narrow to start with. (The XR-E's radiation pattern was 25% narrower than a normal LED; if you apply that same multiplier to a ten-degree hotspot, you'll only tighten the hotspot by a couple degrees.)

In fact, the brightness of the hotspot would've been negatively affected by the XR-E's pre-collimating optic if general-purpose reflector had been used, because pre-collimating the light caused less to hit the reflector. To compensate for that effect and maintain a bright hotspot using the XR-E emitter, a narrower reflector was required, to reach further into the 90 degree radiation pattern and redirect more of the light straight forward. That's why XR-E specific reflectors are so much narrower than general-purpose reflectors.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
So this is a new development it would seem despite them saying simply that this is the "SC³ technology" like they have been using in the recently unveiled LEDs like the XB-D and XT-E which had the faceted die and the flip-chip. Up till now all of Cree's flat substrate dies have not been flip-chip and yet you can clearly see the positive connects to the top side. Just ordered some of these new XP-G2 from Mouser as they have them in stock and at a cheaper price than Cutter. Plus they have quantity discounts.(hello Cutter) I am genuinely excited about these unlike the past two or three releases which have had horrible optical characteristics. Be interesting to see what the current spreaders look like as you can't see them in any of the pictures I've seen. I'll just have to tear one apart I guess ;)

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please do!

With flip chip, the active region is mounted closer to the thermal pad, innit? And couple that with what should be a lack of bond wires, this might be ripe for overdriving!

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the same 'facet' technology that premiered with the XT-E, correct? I'm assuming the facets improve current handling in some way, but wondering if somebody had some more details from a technical perspective on how this works.

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
This is the same 'facet' technology that premiered with the XT-E, correct? I'm assuming the facets improve current handling in some way, but wondering if somebody had some more details from a technical perspective on how this works.
Nope, nothing to do with current. Everything to do with light extraction.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Given the facets aren't ordered like the serrated rows in a knife but rather in a polygon shape this makes sense. Yet the facets are pointed at each other.... I'm Sure there's a white paper somewhere on this if somebody has a link. Then again many other LEDs have folds when examined under a macro lens.

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. Given the facets aren't ordered like the serrated rows in a knife but rather in a polygon shape this makes sense. Yet the facets are pointed at each other.... I'm Sure there's a white paper somewhere on this if somebody has a link. Then again many other LEDs have folds when examined under a macro lens.
It has to do with Snell's Law regarding Total Internal Reflection at an interface between 2 materials with dissimilar Indices of Refraction. Basically there is a critical angle of incidence where all light hitting the interface is totally internally reflected. Adding the facets helps lessen this effect hence extracting more light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snell's_law#Total_internal_reflection_and_critical_angle

moozooh

Enlightened
Cool white max lumen @ 1500ma - 458lm.
Which is 83% of XM-L T6 and 78% of U2, both unadjusted to higher binning temperatures. It looks like CW XP-G2 is more or less equal to XM-L T6 at max power, but can't go as far as the latter.

Would be interesting to see some compact 400..440 lm NiMH-based throwers based on it, like the Nitecore EA2.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blasterman, I believe the active region is the layer that is very close to the mounting pad below it, and the thick, shaped structure is the substrate on which the active region is grown. Think of that substrate as a clear crystal that the active layer can be deposited onto where it will continue crystalizing in the same molecular organization as the substrate's crystal structure.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Hm. Looking at the data sheet, the output is still increasing nicely at 1.5A. I am curious just how much current you can squeeze into one of them...

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast