New bike light on kickstarter-Barry Beams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcturus

Enlightened
How about a new, hi-res, unblurred beam intensity plot ... instead of more inflated self-promotion and inflationary good-will valuation?

With those amazingly strong patents, and a beam like the BB aka Oculus, I'd REALLY be looking forward to "disruptive innovation to the motorcycle market" reaching the neighboring forum's scrutiny...
popcorn.gif

Edit - just updating:

Dec 2014 unboxing video by EmailNBheleu:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9vM2wszDHY
optics at 1:38

April 2015 investor pitch at Clean Tech Open:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlJSIfrDVhY
Quin Garcia, Managing Director at AutoTech Ventures,
Larry Kelly, CEO of Kelly Ventures & investor at Band of Angels,
Mary Vincent, Co-Founder & CTO at Wearables HealthTech Startup,
all witnessing "disruptive innovation"

Last edited:

Rcksqrl

Newly Enlightened
My website received a bunch of hits from Candlepower Forums links, so I took a few minutes to check in.
Its fascinating to see what the portion of the population of this list that prefers casting troll bait rather than seeking accurate information likes to dangle.
Going back to the comment about light in the rider's eyes, one of the long sessions I spent running optical simulations in Zemax was to find the optimum cutoff shape to maximize sidelight without rays heading upward to the riders field of view. If any of you care to see my CNC machined early prototype light heads, I can show an initial head that did emit rays upwards, versus the next iteration that became the current shape that doesn't emit rays up at the rider but does maximize down and side light. The final design overlaps the clear lower housing over an inward angled section of the heatsick/ reflector body so that light gets blocked from reflecting straight up at the eyes but does refract sideways.
The comment about battery sizes overlooks the need to have sufficient power capacity to pump full power out of a light like mine. The latest 3400mAH 18650 cells would be nice for a hobby light where cost is no object. My 26650 4.5AH minimum rated battery from one certain vendor of the several vendor samples I tested, has a burn time of at least 1:04 at 1C draw, and at least a half hour at 2C draw, based on tests across 20 samples. Other vendors that claimed a minimum of 4500mAH don't do it at 1C test load They rate their capacities by claiming 2 hours at .5C load or 4 hours at .25C. Whereas my selected battery burns for 4:40 at 1/4C and 9:30 minimum at 1/8C.
Over the last few days I've made changes to the website content, shifting to a main theme of "No More losing your Lumens".
Most components are made or being molded. The "get mistaken for a car" will remain but not as the predominant part of the pitch, because if a driver doesn't think you're "just" a bicycle they treat you better and give you more room.
In a telling indication of confidence and belief in my venture, Cree's major distributor shipped me direct to my hotel at Interbike, a batch of the latest top tier XPG2 LEDs, reflowed onto my first batch of production LED circuit boards. I designed my own boards to overcome the severe thermal limitations of standard star and disk shaped boards. Mine are made from one of the recent advanced construction MCPCB that transfers heat from the junction more directly to the metal core layer. These precise binned XPG2 have an effective output at stable operating temperature of 100 or more lumens greater than the XPG1, and a more stable, more cool white color temperature whether the light is fully cold or has warmed up a bit.
My unbreakable mounts are made, and I sourced a great velcro strap from a maker in Florida, that is stronger than I can tear. The translucent mounts rotate freely 360 degrees to any position, and hold position regardless of the amount of shock and vibration the light encounters.
The first test molds of the final heatsink design, with a few tweaks to the version 1 shape, and made using a newer version of the type of material that the initial heatsink molds are made of, arrived the day before Interbike. These new version 2 heatsinks transmit heat better than the version 1.
Net result of the thermal testing shows that I'm now up to eight minutes on full power, sitting still at a 72 degree ambient temperature, before a 55C (rather conservative temperature for a thermal dimmer)) thermal cutoff dims the light to the third of five settings. The version 1 heatsinks reached thermal dimming in 6 1/2 to 7 minutes.
Currently I have a 4 man relay team and a solo rider enjoying the nightrides of their lives with these latest version 2 XPG2 lights at the Furnace Creek 508.
Just to repeat the offer of a year ago, I will gladly take a test ride with anyone who is local, answer direct questions about anything that would be obvious to a person holding a light in their hands or riding with one. and talk tech and business with any interested party under an NDA. The rest of you will no doubt continue your wildy off target speculations instead of asking direct questions.
Part of succeeding in Silicon Valley is to keep a thick skin and not to fall prey to detractors' attempts to steer you off course in their own inability to create truly inventive and disruptive innovations themselves.
The patent approval has dramatically increase the valuation of my intellectual property, separate from potential revenues of producing and selling products myself. I don't go on the TV shows, I do pitch and am well received by prominent Silicon Valley hardware funders, who have very professional understandings of this.
Moving beyond bicycles, I'm working with two separate motorcycle headlighting joint ventures to bring disruptive innovation to the motorcycle market. My work on the motorcycle headlights is design and product development side, with the partners making significant investments of their own, so I won't encounter the funding and production obstacle based delays that the bike light is gradually but steadily fighting it's way through.
Helmet side up,
Barry

Barry-

keep us informed, if your able to produce it at a good cost I would be very interested! Will keep watching!

SemiMan

Banned
How about photo metrics and power measurements from an independent lab. Given in theory you are maybe a month or less from public release this should not be at all to issue.

Nice about the motorcycle lighting ..... Not that these companies such as Hella, etc. are not already working on this with enormous resources ..... But does that not take you away from what should be your primary focus of fulfilling your current customers requirements?

Semiman

Esko

Enlightened
The world is full of patents. Most of them are never going to produce any profit, just costs. It is not about just having patents, it is about having essential and strong patents.

So, it is this patent, right? I have not seen any actual patent or application number mentioned by Barry.

I am sure we'll see a lot of progress in plastics engineering in the future, so, I could see some value in a patent where the front lens and housing are incorporated into one piece. Through licensing, that is. After all, there are plenty of tail lights in which the lens and housing are already incorporated. However, considering the claims that I mentioned in my previous post, I don't think this patent protects much anything. It is very easy to design around. A patent should be strong. If it is not strong, you should at least have a patent family. Considering Barry's background and the extensive use of legal help, I must say I am pretty confused about the subject. Or am I just missing something badly?

I guess I am not interested in seeing any plots or metrics about the light any more. It is easy to make the beam non-circular, it just usually costs more to do it. Making it profitably, well and in compact size is the challenge. This light has a noncircular beam. Fine, it is a decent starting point. Let's just see the lights go to customers and perhaps then we can finally see some objective and NDA-free comments about the them.

easy2led

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was surprised to see the handmade drawings in the patent for the Barry Beams light. The "reflector + optical modifier" scheme is prior art. That's the same as in car lights.

I have a project for an XM-L2 reflector, this is a sneak peek :)
799018d1368558353t-interesting-xml-reflector-clipboard01.jpg

If the project succeeds that will be a cheap simple to assemble reflector.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
what constitutes an "optical modifier"? Is that just another way to say that a lens is being put in front of a reflector? If so, that seems to be that technique used in every dynamo light I've seen.

Esko

Enlightened
The "reflector + optical modifier" scheme is prior art. That's the same as in car lights.
what constitutes an "optical modifier"? Is that just another way to say that a lens is being put in front of a reflector? If so, that seems to be that technique used in every dynamo light I've seen.

Yes. There is nothing new in that. According to the pictures, Barry may be doing it in different way but it is not what he has tried to protect. At least not with that patent.

Christexan

Enlightened
Sorry to say that patent won't hold at all, as many manufacturers have done so in the past, CatEye, Serfa, etc have tons of integrated lens/housing models on the market, many of which have reflectors as well, and integrated multi-array batteries. Only trick for most is they aren't capable of a multi-surface mount.
That's been done plenty of times, most external battery packs are capable of mounting "anywhere" using a strap/straps type system. My first halogen had a battery "pouch" which I could mount flush, or even hanging between multiple tubes if I wanted.
However a good, stand-alone mount that could be used on many surfaces and strap the device TO the mount, would be nice (twofish is nice for round things, but not so much for flat surfaces or spanning a gap, etc).

Easy2Led - I'll take 10! (If you can produce something inexpensively with that beam pattern, I'm sold! (depending on size, 35mm ballpark is my typical outter limit for optics unless it's something really exceptional, and for single-emitter, 20mm.)

Marcturus

Enlightened
Easy2Led - I'll take 10! (If you can produce something inexpensively with that beam pattern, I'm sold!...)
Does look like you'd need more than one. If each line represents 5 degrees, guess how dark things will get to the left and right of the hotspot.

PS: Big fat emitter, good road beam, small size optic: pick any two.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread was inactive nearly two years, and then resurrected to start a flame war. This is not how we do things on CPF-- flaming, baiting, and trolling are disallowed. Fanning the flames, taking the bait, and biting at hooks are similarly disallowed and does not represent the high standards CPF upholds.

This thread is being closed and the offending posts and subsequent replies have been unapproved.

Of further note is that the funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on October 29, 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts