NEW DURACELL ULTRA AA LITHUIM

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Finally, I know that everyone thinks that the cost of these batteries are artificially elevated in North America because Energizer has a lock on the market. Well, don't expect prices to drop much when the Energizer patents run out. These are inherently much more expensive batteries to make than alkaline cells. I have heard that the separator in a AA Energizer cell costs more than an entire alkaline AA cell, and I believe it.

Cheers,
BG
I don't expect the price to drop to lower than $6/4pack for them myself as you don't see the name brands pricing alkalines anywhere near as cheap as the generics are pricing them. I would almost consider price fixing on alkalines between duracell and energizer with rayovac slightly cheaper.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
I just picked up a few packs of 4, in K-mart. They were on clearance for $5/pack or $1.25/cell.

The Energizer lithiums were right beside the duracells, except the Energizers were going for $20/pack or $5/cell.

I am confused at the price difference and would like to know which is better for use in flashlights? Assuming the Energizers are superior, are they 3x better than the Duracell lithiums?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just picked up a few packs of 4, in K-mart. They were on clearance for $5/pack or $1.25/cell.

The Energizer lithiums were right beside the duracells, except the Energizers were going for $20/pack or $5/cell.

I am confused at the price difference and would like to know which is better for use in flashlights? Assuming the Energizers are superior, are they 3x better than the Duracell lithiums?
The price difference is obvious..... clearance = savings. Perhaps duracells are not selling or there is legal pressure to pull them in the works now.

As for which is best? You would have to test them we don't have access to them in the states but you could mail some to silverfox or batteryguy and have them test them and compare to L91s .

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The only other place I know where there are still K-Marts is Australia.
There are Kmarts here in the USA but soon there will be less of either them or Sears but Duracell is unable to sell lithium AA primaries due to patent protection here.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
So the jury is still out on the runtime/output difference between Energizer and Duracell lithiums?

If they are comparable, maybe I should head back to the store and help them with their clearance effort.

$5/4 is a lot more cost effective than $20/4 if what I get at the end is roughly the same.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
So the jury is still out on the runtime/output difference between Energizer and Duracell lithiums?

If they are comparable, maybe I should head back to the store and help them with their clearance effort.

$5/4 is a lot more cost effective than $20/4 if what I get at the end is roughly the same.
Even if they are only half as long on runtime for 1/4 the price you can buy twice and many to match the output for half the price

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Energizer and Duracell are both 3000 mAh cells, so chances are they are pretty close in performance.

Based on the data sheets, the Energizer has better cold weather performance -40°C to 60°C (-40°F to 140°F) vs -20°C to 60°C (-40°F to 140°F) for the Duracell.

At $5 for 4, I would've bought a lot of them anyway.

Battery Guy

Enlightened

No, the jury is not still out. You can see the difference in the AA Ragone Plot thread. Bottom line is that the Duracell has slightly higher power and the Energizer has slightly higher energy. The cross-over point is at ~1.4 W discharge, or a discharge rate of ~C/2.5. At higher power and/or higher rate discharge, the Duracell is better, and at lower power and/or lower rate discharge the Energizer will give you better performance.

But at $1.25 per cell, the Duracell is definitely a fantastic deal.

Cheers,
BG