**NEW** Fenix E40 (4AA, XP-E R4, 17500cd)

A10K

Newly Enlightened
Awesome, this is just what I want to see (more lights using XP-E R4s). Fenix has been continuing a disappointing trend by "upgrading" their lights to less throw. This is exactly what happened with the LD20 series (started with XR-E Q5, went up to XP-G, and the LD22 has an even shorter head). Its nice to be able to have a decent thrower that isn't a. a high-current, giant-reflectored XM-L with short battery life or b. high-end aspheric setup with no spill. I think the middle ground has been lost.
Its also a bargain at $40. As always I wish Fenix had better low modes. The runtime of this thing at less than 10 lumens would make it great for around-the-house/yard use too.

biglights

Enlightened
I'm thinking more about this.. how can the E40 out-throw the TK41?

Dont think that it does, where did you read that?

It wont, the TK41 is listed at 472m and the E40 is 268m. Not even close...........

Last edited:

A10K

Newly Enlightened
It can out-throw the LD41​, that's a whole different animal.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tobrien my friend, yes, I believe you are correct, I assumed this as well seeing that "E" in E40 stands for "Economy", so perhaps it would be more feasible for more people?

Regards
yea man! thanks! i think this light is intended to be sold more in sporting goods stores where laypeople will see it and have a stepping stone into high(er) end lights.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Not sure where that came from. As a former owner of the TK41, the E40 definetly can't outthrow the TK41 like A10 said whole different animal. Where dis that came from lol? Would have never thought to compare the 2 in throw or class. It's also what i wanted to see to A10.

I am surpised they released this. I also wonder if the XP-E will hit the R5 bin:)

Ezeriel

Enlightened
Not sure where that came from. As a former owner of the TK41, the E40 definetly can't outthrow the TK41 like A10 said whole different animal. Where dis that came from lol? Would have never thought to compare the 2 in throw or class. It's also what i wanted to see to A10.

I am surpised they released this. I also wonder if the XP-E will hit the R5 bin:)

My bad.. meant to say "LD41"

The LD41 is 520 lumens, 10,000CD for 200 yards
The E40 is 220 lumens, 17,500CD for 260 yards

it looks to me like they have the same head.. can the size of the LED make that much of a difference in throw?

anyone have a guess as to the CD of the TK45? It's my big boy and Fenix doesn't list it, so I can only wonder as to how well the E40 throws

Numb

Newly Enlightened
I going to buy a couple for the kids and to give away to people. $40 for a throwy LD40 is a steal.

/N

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
My bad.. meant to say "LD41"

The LD41 is 520 lumens, 10,000CD for 200 yards
The E40 is 220 lumens, 17,500CD for 260 yards

it looks to me like they have the same head.. can the size of the LED make that much of a difference in throw?

anyone have a guess as to the CD of the TK45? It's my big boy and Fenix doesn't list it, so I can only wonder as to how well the E40 throws

Oh I see, I get lights mixed up too sometimes.
Yeah, the emitter can make a big difference. The size of the dye for the XP-E is much smaller and brighter in area then the XM-L, that means tighter hotspot. And now the XP-E is in the R4 bin too which is awesome(hope it hits R5)
Overall utput maybe higher on the XM-L in the LD41 but the higher surface brightness that the XP-E/XR-E (XP-C really high) technically make the E40 a brighter flashlight ten the LD41 but the LD41 puts out overall more light spread out in flood.

Selfbuilt says the TK45(with the XP-G R4) is about 12,150lux. It's now in the R5 bin so I don't know about the current TK45 but might not be much different. I actually liked that light when I had it for a very short while.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously xpe led and 220 lumens for 4aas? Zl is at 260 lumens on one aa. Seems like a joke post ;-)

3 hours on high and it looks like a thrower. If the XP-E was a Q3, well that would be all good and dandy.

Last edited:

yliu

Enlightened
Most of Fenix's E series lights are more like a budget line. Something that a non flashoholic could buy instead of a Maglite or other popular brands off the shelves.

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
This light looks great except for the level spacing. 35, 105, 220? The first two should both be lower, IMO. Very cool that they are making a high bin XP-E thrower that runs on AA's though...

firelord777

Enlightened
Maybe they're fine, but perhaps another level that is even lower like ~3-10 lumens?

pinetree89

Enlightened
Is what seems odd to me is the LD41 does 190 Lumens at Medium for 7.5 hours. The E40 does 220 Lumens at High for 3 Hours.

Is the XP-E really that much more inefficient than the XML at this level, or do we also have a much more inefficient "budget" circuit in the E40?

yliu

Enlightened
This light looks great except for the level spacing. 35, 105, 220? The first two should both be lower, IMO. Very cool that they are making a high bin XP-E thrower that runs on AA's though...

I think very low modes are not a must in larger sized lights. They are mostly intended for general tasks which the 35 lumen mode should be low enough for close tasks.

Very low, night vision preserving modes are useful in pocketable EDC lights.

Shadowww

Banned
Is what seems odd to me is the LD41 does 190 Lumens at Medium for 7.5 hours. The E40 does 220 Lumens at High for 3 Hours.

Is the XP-E really that much more inefficient than the XML at this level, or do we also have a much more inefficient "budget" circuit in the E40?

Maybe LD41 is rated on NiMH's (which it's target audience, flashaholics, mostly use), and E40 is rated on crappy Alkalines as it's meant for general-purpose market?

firelord777

Enlightened
Maybe LD41 is rated on NiMH's (which it's target audience, flashaholics, mostly use), and E40 is rated on crappy Alkalines as it's meant for general-purpose market?

I'm pretty sure Fenix always uses NIMH AA on their runtimes, regardless of their category.

tam17

Enlightened
E40 ANSI testing data are obtained using 2500mAh NiMH batteries, says the small print at the bottom of Fenix info page.