**NEW** Fenix E40 (4AA, XP-E R4, 17500cd)

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
I think very low modes are not a must in larger sized lights. They are mostly intended for general tasks which the 35 lumen mode should be low enough for close tasks.

Very low, night vision preserving modes are useful in pocketable EDC lights.

Good point, but I also think the upper two levels are too close. Something like 10, 70, 220 makes more sense to me.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Low price, good throw and pretty long runtime even at highest mode with alkalines. A suitable light for having in your car, it's not a catastrophe if you lose it. Or as a gift to a non-flashoholic friend. For that price I think I will get one just for fun! Yes of course; ALL my flashlights I get for fun! :)

firelord777

Enlightened
Swedpat, i totally agree with you bud.

Currently, I'll post the review of the LD41 in a few hours. Hopefully when I get the E40 I'll give you guys a quick comparison:)

Cheers

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
To be honest I'm surprised to see so many lumen junkies here. There's a lot more to a light than its lumens. Unlike the majority of XM-L lights being released these days, this light has some respectable throw to it. The only compact XM-L light that rings my bell is the new Streanlight ProTac HL which is 600 lumens at 15,000 lux. Not 5,000 lux and certainly not 2,000 lux. I don't need 400, 500, 600 or more lumens in the space of about ten feet. To me the Fenix E21 is a great light, it's built like a tank, fairly throwy without compromising the upclose usefulness, and it has a simple battery chemistry. The E40 looks like it will be very a useful light. Besides, knowing Fenix it probably has a beautifully flat runtime curve and solid build.

firelord777

Enlightened
SZ, I totally understand what you mean. Brighter doesn't mean throwier, that's a common misconception. Higher surface brightness does, however, increase throw per lumen, but, ironically, the LEDs with the highest surface brightness are the small LEDs between the range of 100-300 lumens. XR-Es are the throwier kind, next comes XP-Es, then XP-Gs and XM-Ls.

Cheers

kj2

Flashaholic
Does someone has a "overview/review" video of this light? Want to see, how it does in the dark :)

edit; just ordered one. Comes in Tuesday normally. :)

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few days and I will receive E40 and will compare it to Jetbeam PA 40 and Surefire P2X Fury. Yes; I will compare it to Fenix TK10/TA30 as well...:popcorn:

If it would be of interest I can then do some beamshots comparisons.

Last edited:

Ezeriel

Enlightened
A few days and I will receive E40 and will compare it to Jetbeam PA 40 and Surefire P2X Fury. Yes; I will compare it to Fenix TK10/TA30 as well...:popcorn:

If it would be of interest I can then do some beamshots comparisons.

any chance you can compare it to a TK20 as well?

kj2

Flashaholic
Got my E40 in last Tuesday, and I love it :) -very throwy light, the hot-spot is much brighter then my TK21. At the other hand, you don't have that much a bright spill-beam. Light feels good- soft- lightweight in the hand.
Had it on me for two nights now, and it's a keeper :)

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the XP-E really that much more inefficient than the XML at this level, or do we also have a much more inefficient "budget" circuit in the E40?

Lets assume that both lights have 20% loss on reflector and glass. Then the E40 needs ~264 LED lumens to achieve 220 ANSI lumens and LD41 needs ~228 LED lumens to put out 190 ANSI lumens.

From the Cree PCT:
Cree XP-E R4: 262 lumens at 0,85A/3,45V (2,93W total consumption)
Cree XM-L U2: 228 lumens at 0,53A/2,84V (1,5W total consumption)

So yes, the XM-L U2 has much better efficiency and lower forward voltage than XP-E R4, which results in much better runtimes in LD41 U2.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the xp-g2 has made this obsolete. It is time for an E41 already.
You could have 4 modes: 400 lumens, 200, 67, 17 (and still have excellent regulation on alkalines in the bottom three modes)

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I picked up the E40 from the post office. Short impression:

The plastic handle is nice but as I supposed, just slightly slipper compared to the composite handle of Jetbeam PA40, but not a problem. I find changing the modes works good with one hand.
The tint is very cool but I am glad it's no greenish in my example. As we understood this is a thrower, and a serious one. At 220lm mode it outthrows Fenix TK30 at 630lm mode!
Hotspot is very focused similar to TK50 and with a slight corona. When I compare it to Fenix TK20 I found that the spill actually isn't much more brighter, very similar. The hotspot, however, is almost 4 times brighter. A much bigger part of the around 70% higher total output is consequently placed in the very intense hotspot.
Total spill width is exactly the same size as TK20. Compared to Fenix TK10 total output is slightly higher(but spill is dimmer) as one could expect based on the new ANSI lumen measuring.

When I try E40 around the house I got a similar feeling like with TK50: the brightness difference between hotspot and spill is so large, and the extremely intense hotpot makes so much attention so it isn't really comfortable at short distance. I actually had prefered a textured reflector to smooth out the beam a bit, the throw had been good anyway.

I post some beamshots compared to Fenix TK20 with same aperture. TK20 to left and E40 to right.

First 1/15s for comparing the spill and tint:

tk20vse40115s.jpg

Then at 1/1000s which clearly shows the difference of hotspot intensity:

tk20vse4011000s.jpg

Updated: I just finished a runtime test at 220lm mode. The batteries are IKEA alkalines, exp. date: 2017-01-30.
The light was standing in a cup shining up on the ceiling without any active cooling. I checked the lightmeter every 10 minute. During the first 30 minutes the brightness slowly dropped to 90% of initial and after that absolutely stable to more than 1 hour and 30 minutes. At 1 hour and 40 minutes the brightness had dropped to 58%.
I didn't notice exactly were it went out of regulation but at the moment I noticed it on the lightmeter it dropped pretty fast so I think it had begun only some minute ago or so. The result is then practically stable output for almost 1 hour and 40 minutes. Actually I had expected slightly longer time. Considering Jetbeam PA40 did 3 hours and 50 minutes at 220lm mode it's very clear that the efficiency is far lower. Anyway this is a budget model and do you want a great 4AA thrower it's a cheap way to go! More than 1,5 hours regulated output with cheap alkalines at highest mode still makes E40 very useful if you don't have NiMh or Lithium cells.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why get this when a Jetbeam PA40 delivers 468lm and is structurally almost identical? > love my PA40

But if the OP is right, this light only costs $43, whereas the PA-40 is almost double that price at $79. The PA-40 is brighter by at least 200L, but it has an XM-L, which is much larger, and wont throw nearly as far, if throw is important to the buyer. But I agree that a light with 4 AA's should be brighter than 220L. I have an LED light that came out almost 3 years ago, and it only has 2 more AA's, but with over 3 time the brightness(700L)!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
But if the OP is right, this light only costs $43, whereas the PA-40 is almost double that price at $79. The PA-40 is brighter by at least 200L, but it has an XM-L, which is much larger, and wont throw nearly as far, if throw is important to the buyer. But I agree that a light with 4 AA's should be brighter than 220L. I have an LED light that came out almost 3 years ago, and it only has 2 more AA's, but with over 3 time the brightness(700L)!

Yes, PA40 is very floody. Actually E40 at 105lm mode out throws PA40 at 468lm mode. But still it's just to state that apart from the throw E40 is a low performance light to be a 4AA model these days.

Last edited: