*new* Fenix LD60: max 2800 lumens

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to address this before, but I let it slide. That graph shows a constant resetting to turbo instead of letting the programming kick the light down a mode and stay regulated at the lower output. The direct drive pattern you're seeing in that graph is the limitation of the cell, not the light. No single cell setup is going to be able to sustain that high draw for any extended period in a regulated manor and no 2 cell setup is going to be able to sustain an MT-G2 on turbo for any extended period of time either. Even Thrunite and Eagletac lights drop modes with their 3 cell setup because it's too high of a thermal demand, even disregarding the power requirements, for a light that size.

Sorry to say that any light from any manufacturer is going to be limited by the same rules. Look at the severe lumen drops on Thrunite or Nitecore. That's why I don't like lights that push for the highest output they sacrifice everything and play word games with run times just to achieve 1000+ lumens or just to achieve 100 or so lumens over their competition. That's not even going to be noticed at those light levels.

exactly! 2-cell setup is a poor choice for the high-Vf MT-G2. when you put them together you get the crappiest regulation in the flashlight industry

but my point is this. once the battery voltage goes down a bit on this LD60 you wouldn't get 2800 lumens anymore, even if you let it rest to cool down, because the individual voltages on them 18650's wouldn't be high enough. but if they were in series the driver would have enough voltage to drive the LEDs to maximum power. just look at the many fine examples of 3x 18650 in series out there ;)

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! :wow:

Finally, a pretty compact light with more than 2000 lumens that might just be within my budget. This is on my to-buy list.:D

Thanks for enlightening us kj75!

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
exactly! 2-cell setup is a poor choice for the high-Vf MT-G2. when you put them together you get the crappiest regulation in the flashlight industry

but my point is this. once the battery voltage goes down a bit on this LD60 you wouldn't get 2800 lumens anymore, even if you let it rest to cool down, because the individual voltages on them 18650's wouldn't be high enough. but if they were in series the driver would have enough voltage to drive the LEDs to maximum power. just look at the many fine examples of 3x 18650 in series out there ;)

Unless one uses IMR cells!

SimulatedZero

Enlightened

Really? Crappiest regulation you say? Then why does the blue line look perfectly flat on the graph you provide? The direct drive pattern you're seeing the result of constantly resetting the light to Turbo. There are very, very few lights that can sustain that high of a light output with out dropping down to a next mode. And the result of preventing the light from dropping down modes results in a direct drive like pattern. My point here is that you are slamming Fenix for not being able to sustain a flat line on Turbo when every single high output light on the market, with the exception of a select few, do the exact same thing. The big difference that you keep referencing with a graph, that ironically enough provides evidence that contradicts your point, is that the TK35-UE allows you to override the stepdown and constantly bump the light back to max output.

As an example, one of the only lights I know of to sustain a perfectly flat regulation at 1000+ lumens is the Fenix TK60. That's because it has the cell support and the infrastructure support to sustain that output. Another good example is the Olight SR92. I can't remember if it is perfectly flat off of the top of my head, but I know that it is pretty damn close. Again, that light has the proper supporting cell structure and infrastructure to properly regulate that high of an energy flux.

And to make my position perfectly clear here, I'm not defending Fenix in regards to their drop in light output. I'm saying that this is a common trend among ALL flashlight manufacturers, not just the ones you don't like.

Now, as far as running cells in series vs parallel, I couldn't tell you. I am not that well versed in batteries to know. We'll just wait for reviews on that front.

eff

Enlightened
As an example, one of the only lights I know of to sustain a perfectly flat regulation at 1000+ lumens is the Fenix TK60. That's because it has the cell support and the infrastructure support to sustain that output. Another good example is the Olight SR92. I can't remember if it is perfectly flat off of the top of my head, but I know that it is pretty damn close. Again, that light has the proper supporting cell structure and infrastructure to properly regulate that high of an energy flux.
If I remember correctly, the fenix Tk70 turbo mode is also well regulated until it drops to high mode http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Fenix TK70 UK.html

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding the bad regulation of newer lights it's a result of the lumen race; lumens sells. Therefore many manufacturers offer flashlights with a maximum output higher than the batteries are able to sustain. It would be enough to lower the max output with ~30% or so for getting a flat regulation for an hour.
I am looking forward to see runtime graph of LD60!

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Regarding the bad regulation of newer lights it's a result of the lumen race; lumens sells. Therefore many manufacturers offer flashlights with a maximum output higher than the batteries are able to sustain. It would be enough to lower the max output with ~30% or so for getting a flat regulation for an hour.
I am looking forward to see runtime graph of LD60!

+1

I though the LD series included only AA or AAA lights. I guess not anymore?

For some reason Fenix started throwing Li-Ion lights into the LD mix with the new LD50 that just came out. I'm not entirely sure why either. I have a feeling that there has been some behind the scenes restructuring at Fenix and I'm still on the fence about it.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'd like to see more throw. 2800 lumens could provide throw and flood easily. Just need to redesign the head. I love that you can get full power output on 6 primaries.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like it will provide quite a lot of throw. Heck that SR mini provides a decent amount of throw through sheer output. This will do the same and it does have reflectors to really get it out there. They are pretty shallow though so you still will get nice flood. I can't wait to see reviews on this light.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Well, that's not really the point of this light now is it. They have the tk75, which is the same design as the ld60, that throws for 110,000 cd. The ld60 is still respectable at 53,000 cd. This light is all about compact form with high output more than anything.

magicstone12

Banned
Well, that's not really the point of this light now is it. They have the tk75, which is the same design as the ld60, that throws for 110,000 cd. The ld60 is still respectable at 53,000 cd. This light is all about compact form with high output more than anything.

It seems that the circuit design is different from TK75,LD60 can use only one 18650 battery and light up one LED.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throw is overrated... unless you are going for a light specifically to throw. Then get a TK61 :)

But again, I guess you can compare it to the TK75 for sure, but the point is a more compact light that is lighter and still has tremendous output.

AirmanV

Newly Enlightened
I'm really liking the design and aesthetics of this light. The regulation issue, if you want to call it that, doesn't seem to bother me. I really only use the Highest lumen mode for short bursts, when looking over very dark areas. I think I'll be adding this to my Fenix collection. I also agree with a few people on this thread. The reflector looks pretty deep so I am seeing some throwing potential with this one. As long as the spill has some light, I'm good.