*new* Fenix LD60: max 2800 lumens

easilyled

Flashaholic
I think lights like this are "kind of" throwers even if they aren't meant to be.

Yes, exactly, this is the trouble with trying to label a light absolutely based on its throw when it really can only be applied in relative terms.

There are no led lights that can compare with Short-Arc lights in terms of beam distance so in this comparison led lights would not be described as "throwers".

On the other hand, compared to tiny pocket led-lights, all larger led lights with secondary optics are "throwers" purely by virtue of having relatively larger optics which therfore project the light rays further.

We tend to call lights with narrow pencil-like beams "throwers" more often than lights with beam profiles that are more diffuse yet there are lights in the latter category, like this one, that can outthrow some of the aforementioned lights with pencil beams.

Therefore in my opinion its not particularly helpful to become too embroiled with the labelling.

The most important function of a light is to perform the task required. I can't imagine that there will be many casual users needing a light to illuminate a further distance than this one and with the added bonus of there being a very wide field being illuminated at the same time.

Nestor

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday I tried it in an open area and I really like it. It out-throws my G25C2 and Xeno G42 (dedicated thrower) easily. Since the hot spot/spill is way brighter, you don't get the sense it is a thrower. Large threes get completely illuminated, not just a section of them. What I like the most is its power/size ratio. It is way smaller than the TK75 and it has almost the same output. Yes, the TK75 is a proper thrower but I returned it because I didn't see myself using it that much given its size. I have already a K40 for proper throwing but I don't use it that much because the tunnel effect. Anyway, all that power in such as small package made me forget the PWM. I am keeping this one!:thumbsup:

skoor

Newly Enlightened
Got my LD60 yesterday and overall first impression are very good. I too had initially tried a Tk75, but just too big for my practical use. I did not know that the LD60 was going to have the PWM vs current of TK75. Also, I did try it with just one cell and still could detect PWM strobe effect.

So, if one can not see the flicker at lower outputs (and can live with the strobe effect on moving subjects) is there any other trade-offs of PWM? Either good or bad? Right now leaning to make it a keeper, but just wondering, if overtime, I would notice other issues and then be beyond the return period window and regret it later. Thanks

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Um, there is a fair amount of debate on properly integrated PWM vs current control. Basically, current control is more efficient and less bothersome and PWM prevents tint shift at lower light output.

The argument is that if manufacturers implemented PWM properly then you wouldn't be able to detect it, it would be as efficient, and it would still prevent tint shift. I think there are a couple of details in there I'm missing, but that's the jist of it

The thing here is, since you can already detect it, it wasn't done properly. Then again, it may be a limit of the design and not an intentional function on this light.

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks nestor and skoor for your reports:) i do love my tk75vn so thats a keeper for me but regarding the 60,i dont need it,well i could say for 90% of my lights that i dont actually need them..............but i really do want this light. Form factor,output,design,just everything is saying get one.

I have found my go to lights are always on the medium or smaller size,this would be perfect:)

Once i have other light priorities sorted i will be definitely investing in an ld60,right now,standard and excluding modded/custom this is my most wanted light:devil:

kj2

Flashaholic
Hmm, PWM.. doesn't sound that good to me. Have Klarus lights that use PWM, but I don't notice it with those.
With these reports, I hold-off for the moment and will wait for some reviews to pop-up.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
I like it but it is so similar to the Nitecore TM15 and TM26, which I have, that it would be hard to justify. For high output I also have Supfire L1 and M6 lights modified by Richard at Mountain Electronics which are similar size lights with amazing outputs in their Turbo mode. The modified Supfires use PWM but very high frequency, in the multiple KiloHertz range, so not noticeable. Normal low frequency PWM is very visible to me when looking at fan blades for PWM checking purposes.

I also have the Niteye Eye 40 which uses the multiple LEDs sequentially lit to adjust output levels and has a magnetic ring user interface. LEDs not on individual batteries though and it uses a series/parallel battery carrier. A rare arrangement for soup can format lights. The whole design is unusual.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Same here Rich,similar to my tm15,could say a mini tk75,i have an x3vn too which is even smaller than the ld60. But i still want one :laughing: and you know what..............its perfectly fine,why? because i am a flashaholic and its allowed :laughing: ;)

tbh $160 is a tad too much imho,however a ld60vn would swing it at a later date for sure:devil:

Jeffg330

Newly Enlightened
Can someone who has this possibly take a photo next to another "known" light please? I'd like to get some kind of size comparison

ty

AirmanV

Newly Enlightened
This thing is rated at 2800 lumens, 460m/53000cd while the TK41 (XM-L2) is rated at 900 lumens, 510m/65050cd so not really.

As easilyled mentioned, I'm speaking in relative terms when I say "throwing potential". It seems to have good throw in relation to other triple-led lights.

skoor

Newly Enlightened
Just to be clear on the PWM effects, I only see it while viewing something like a spinning fan. I don't see any flicker by doing a static bean test wall test or any normal use, so far. It still seems like a keeper.

Not sure why they did PWM instead of current. I assume the cost/complexity of the three circuits. It also seems to be missing the low voltage cutoff feature like the PD35. Would have liked it, but since I always use protected cells, it was just a backup system.

I have a very healthy respect for the dangers of 18650 cells and really like the separate circuits with one 18650 per circuit even it the light does not have the low voltage cutoff feature. FWIW, I do use a XTAR VP1 for its readouts. Just wish it was a 3 or 4 bay charger. :)

Last edited:

Jagged77

Newly Enlightened
Here's a size comparison shot pictured with a PD35, H600 Mk2 and E15. Carry wise it is very comfortable and well balanced. It's also extremely well built and sturdy - it inspires belief that it will stand up to the task.

ive really not had much opportunity to get out and field test it too much, other than a short run out last night. It'll throw light about as far as you can make out the object in question while providing considerable spill to light up the foreground. As an area searching tool I might just have stumbled onto the holy grail (As a option Fenix could maybe consider issuing a model with integrated charging and battery meter). The ability to only run one 18650 or mix and match battery types is very handy.

a4ba5a4d31ff2409ddc5f5c0c1a9595f.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the comp pic:) it is sort of an sr52 size,just with a little more weight :laughing:

I love the tk75,this to me is a mini tk75,looks great,i need one:)

kj2

Flashaholic
Your right:p

After some thought, and the fact I've bought plenty of lights this year ;) I think I won't buy this one. Yes, it's a small TK75, which is a superb light, but don't use it that often. Sure the LD60 is smaller so that a positive, but when you have that much choice like I do, you end-up using a light for one month a lot and than it goes back in the box.
Plus, the Nexus 6 should be released soon, and I want a new Nexus phone :p

ven

Flashaholic
After some thought, and the fact I've bought plenty of lights this year ;) I think I won't buy this one. Yes, it's a small TK75, which is a superb light, but don't use it that often. Sure the LD60 is smaller so that a positive, but when you have that much choice like I do, you end-up using a light for one month a lot and than it goes back in the box.
Plus, the Nexus 6 should be released soon, and I want a new Nexus phone :p

I like the ld50 too.............a lot but what you have said means the same as me saying " not going to buy any more flashlights for a long time as i have enough" :laughing:

Once i get my special purchase out of the way :whistle: i will be back to looking at the fenix lights:)

New iphone 6 for me 5.5" iirc,but out of stock,bend or not i want it :laughing:

:thumbsup:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on the speed of the recording and camera it can be made way more prominent on video. I'd like to see it in person. Hmm...