*new* Fenix PD22

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
I can place my ohter fingers on the sidebutton to change the mode while my thumb on the tailswitch .
Maybe bfksc you could still consider this one after someone review it.
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately there are more specifics for my ideal light - neutral white tint, revert to low mode not high when off, etc. I already have several lights that I like, but none of them are my ideal light with the specs I mentioned above. I haven't found it yet...
:scowl:

pinetree89

Enlightened
So does anybody have one of these yet? Looks like they've been out for a bit now.

If so what are your impressions? Also any photos?

Not sure but looking at the pics it looks like the tailcap and battery compartment are a single piece or in other words you can't remove the tail cap from the battery holder?

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've checked both the LD12 and PD22 user manuals and they don't say anything about voltage range. I think the only quick way to find out if they use the same head is to drop a mail to Fenix.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I was just researching. I have the LD12. I am considering adding the LD22 and/or PD22 to the collection. In comparing the lumen levels of each mode, I'm thinking all 3 have a different head. if they were the same head, I would expect at least medium and high would match up between the PD22 and LD12. I'm just guessing of course.

max, high, medium, low:

LD12: 115, 60, 27, 3

PD22: 190, 95 ,46, 8

LD22: 190, 92, 42, 3

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just researching. I have the LD12. I am considering adding the LD22 and/or PD22 to the collection.
Unless size is critical, out of the PD22 and LD22, I'd personally go for the LD22: better runtimes and uses AA batteries like your LD12.
The PD32 looks like a good option though: works with both CR123s and 18650s!

Last edited:

pinetree89

Enlightened
Does this light use the same head as the LD12?

I was just researching. I have the LD12. I am considering adding the LD22 and/or PD22 to the collection. In comparing the lumen levels of each mode, I'm thinking all 3 have a different head. if they were the same head, I would expect at least medium and high would match up between the PD22 and LD12. I'm just guessing of course.

max, high, medium, low:

LD12: 115, 60, 27, 3

PD22: 190, 95 ,46, 8

LD22: 190, 92, 42, 3

I suspect they all use the same head. The differences in the PD22 vs the LD22 probably comes from the fact that Fenix uses 2500mAH NiMH cells to test the LD22 which gives a starting voltage of around ~2.4 volts. The CR123A starts at 3.0v or even a little above that.

So nobody has a PD22 yet?

BullsEyeLantern

Newly Enlightened
You could always use the Tenergy rechargeable CR123 rated at 3 volts in this light if you are worried about the cost of regular primaries.

tatteredmidnight

Newly Enlightened
Tenergy Rechargable 123's have a higher initial voltage, closer to 3.5 volts i think.

The dual button setup is not my cup of tea. I like front switches when applied well, but having to operate 2 switches to use the light seems like unecessary complexity.

Tenergy RCR123A 3.0V 750mAh Rechargeable LiFePO4 Li-Ion Batteries
Working Voltage:3.2V and Peak Voltage: 3.6V
from the BatteryJunction description

-- Adam

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
Tenergy Rechargable 123's have a higher initial voltage, closer to 3.5 volts i think.

The dual button setup is not my cup of tea. I like front switches when applied well, but having to operate 2 switches to use the light seems like unecessary complexity.
-- Adam

Yeh, 3.2v - 3.6v, I'm wondering if this could be a problem. Fenix can be very touchy about over voltage. I read 2 mentions of the LD22 losing low mode with fresh regular batteries. Maybe the PD22 is sensitive as well.

I did not care for the two buttons at first, but I have come to like it a lot. I use the light mainly for repair work and other projects. No critical use where I must know it that it will always come on high or low, so it has not been a problem to use 2 switches. I now like being able to bounce around through the levels without the light turning off or strobing and the memory is handy for frequent on/off work.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
Unless size is critical, out of the PD22 and LD22, I'd personally go for the LD22: better runtimes and uses AA batteries like your LD12.
The PD32 looks like a good option though: works with both CR123s and 18650s!
Normally the PD32 would be the perfect compromise, but I'm trying to get away from 2 cell cr123 lights and Li-ion. I love the extra brightness in the small size, but sometimes I feel uneasy about them when my family might use the lights.

The LD22 would make a nice light for use around the house and night time outdoor use. The PD22 is cute too. But the only benefit would be some extra brightness for the occasional times I need to see something distant at night and don't have one of my other lights with me. So I might as well edc the single AA light with eneloop.

I shouldn't think so hard about it, lol. In a year or two I end up gifting them or selling anyway so I can get something new.

BullsEyeLantern

Newly Enlightened
Just checked the stats:

[h=2]Tenergy Rechargable CR123A 900mah Li-ion (Protected)[/h]Modified Voltage to achieve 3.2v at full voltage; once loaded, cell voltage drops to 3.0v.

Wouldn't these be fine?

Last edited:

Yamabushi

Enlightened
Just got my PD22 and, so far, love it. It will definitely be one of my EDCs.

As regulation suggested in his post, holding it overhand with thumb on the tailswitch and operating the sideswitch with another finger works nicely.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
As regulation suggested in his post, holding it overhand with thumb on the tailswitch and operating the sideswitch with another finger works nicely.

That's interesting. If it works well with the PD22 it must work for the PD32 and LD12! The only one that would require two hands must be the LD22 then... unless someone has huge hands I don't see the ring or little finger reaching out to the side switch when holding the light in ice-pick grip.

RobCob

Newly Enlightened
How durable do you think the light is? Side mode selector possible fail point? I think they should get rid of the high mode and only have low, medium, and turbo.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far a lot of people have questioned the durability of the side switch but I've never seen a post where somebody owning a LD12/LD22 or PD22/PD32 was reporting problems with the switch.

The high mode has its purpose - i.e.: when the medium is not bright enough the high could do and still give you a much better runtime than the turbo.
If you prefer a light with only a Low, Med and "Turbo" check out the Klarus XT1C. :)

Last edited:

RobCob

Newly Enlightened
Anybody doing a review of this light? Would love to see some beam shots (outdoor).

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
How durable do you think the light is? Side mode selector possible fail point? I think they should get rid of the high mode and only have low, medium, and turbo.
I have the LD12 since it came out and recently got the LD22. I don't have any bad feelings about the side switch. The rubber boot is low profile and seems sturdy and the switch has a nice 'silent click' feel to it. I have not experienced any jumping of modes that sloppy contacts might produce. Only time will tell for sure. I would worry more about the tail cap. My LD22 came with defective tail cap. (quickly replaced by Fenix Outfitters) My original very first Fenix had a bad tail switch and I have had a bad switch on a Surefire too. So I worry about clickies in general. I think the PD22 would be as solid as any other Fenix lights.
As for 'High' mode, I would not eliminate that. For most tasks, it's as useful as turbo, but twice the run time.

Sensination

Newly Enlightened
Just got my PD22 and I must say this is lovely little light! I will address the main points and concerns raised in this thread here:

1. Side button - I must say I really like it due to memory option. Once I choose the brightness I don't use it very often.
2. When using Tenergy LiFePo4 there are only two modes High and Medium. Difficult to say how many lumens but close to primaries (maybe even bit brighter)
3. It's a real bummer you can't use regular LiIon's
4. Light is really small, well built and with nice beam.

That's all in my opinion :)