*new* Fenix PD22

kj2

Flashaholic
It's a very nice light, to bad though that it only can handle(according Fenix) 3V 123. Fenix should begin supporting 3.2V 123

Sensination

Newly Enlightened
According to Fenix it can take 3.3V max. My batteries are 3.34V and the flashlight works however I have only two modes.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened

Sensination

Newly Enlightened
So, it doesn't work correctly.

Nope, it doesn't. What is even worse, when using Tenergy LiPo4's you get only max 30 minutes on high output (lower is barely lower) and you have to turn it off to prevent the battery discharging over 2.2V terefore primaries are your only option. I guess this light is only good for backup using good primary with long expiration date. It's a shame as it would be a brilliant light if it could take regular 4.2V LiIon's.

I guess I just sell it...

JBrown50601

Newly Enlightened
I was also looking at this light for an EDC light and so far this is the best one I've found with all the things I want

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I was just researching. I have the LD12. I am considering adding the LD22 and/or PD22 to the collection. In comparing the lumen levels of each mode, I'm thinking all 3 have a different head. if they were the same head, I would expect at least medium and high would match up between the PD22 and LD12. I'm just guessing of course.

max, high, medium, low:

LD12: 115, 60, 27, 3

PD22: 190, 95 ,46, 8

LD22: 190, 92, 42, 3

Fenix has changed low setting from 8 lumens to just 3 lumens on the G2 version of the PD22.
IMHO a much more useful low setting...

PD22 (G2)
3 lumes/120 hours
45 lumens/12hours 30min.
105 lumens/5hours
210 lumens/2hours

I had one of the first PD22's and found the 8 lumens just to high as I was use to using the 3 lumens on my LD12 so I returned it.

After seeing the specs on the new G2 version and confirming with Fenix that in fact low setting was now only 3 lumens and it was not a typo I bought the new G2 version. IMHO that spacing from low to high is much more useful now.

Last edited:

donjoe

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know what the strobe frequency is on this thing? All I'm seeing in all promotional materials is "rapid strobe".

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know what the strobe frequency is on this thing? All I'm seeing in all promotional materials is "rapid strobe".

I don't know real numbers, but it alternates from fast to slow every second. Fast is an annoying blur to me, I'm guessing maybe 20hz. Its tough to look at. Slow is almost countable, maybe 8hz. Very rough guesses. Maybe there is a you tube video that shows it.

donjoe

Newly Enlightened
Meh. Then I already know I don't like it. I prefer a constant-frequency strobe because I found I could also occasionally use it as a dancefloor light at house parties :D (which I actually did with my PD30 three times in the three years I had it).

Teno

Newly Enlightened
Is there a way to know if you just buy G1 or G2?
I just buy one n Argentina today, but not sure.

Entering serial number in Fenix website claims to be just PD22...

Thanks,

Marcelo

kj2

Flashaholic
2hgva5d.jpg
2n1z5uu.jpg

2818q9s.jpg

PD22 - PD22 S2 - PD22 XP-G2
How many lumens does the box say?

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's strange: usually the tool on the Fenix website always specifies the emitter, much more so for the more recent lights.

Yes, it's easily possible to tell if you get a G1 or G2. First it will be on the box and if you are still unsure, just google images of the CREE XP-G2 and XP-G: you'll see the older XP-G has 4 horizontal filaments while the new XP-G2 does not!

Indexmill

Newly Enlightened
I just bought the Fenix PD22 from REI.

Is there any rechargeable battery that will work with this light?

If not, it will serve as a backup / emergency light.

Scooby214

Newly Enlightened
I just bought the Fenix PD22 from REI.

Is there any rechargeable battery that will work with this light?

If not, it will serve as a backup / emergency light.
Tenergy makes a 3.0 volt rechargeable battery, but the battery requires a special charger. The batteries have a shorter runtime, as they are either 750 mAh or 900 mAh. I just looked at Amazon. A set of four 900 mAh batteries with the charger from Tenergy currently sells for $27.99. Just search Amazon for Tenergy rcr123a 3.0v 900mah.

The PD22 is one of my regular lights for EDC. I get good enough runtime from primary lithium batteries that it's not worth the expense for me to go with the rechargeables. I currently am able to buy CR123a primaries online for about $1.00 each, and can buy Surefire batteries locally for about $2.25 each at Batteries Plus.

Last edited:

Joeymt3

Enlightened
I haven't used a rechargeable battery yet and I'm a little scared too. I love this light too much to risk damage. Rechargeable would be nice though. This is the only light I have that takes the CR123's except for weapon mounted lights and I'm half way thru my second box of SF CR123's.

I can tell you that this light is very tough. It's been dropped many times. Under water, grease, oil, etc. it rides on my leatherman pouch and many times gets knocked on things as I walk by.

I usually keep it on power level two. The memory function is really nice. I also keep the clip lined up with the side button so I know exactly where it is in the dark. When I need a headlight, I just pop the clip off and reinstall it backwards. I can then clip it to the bill of my hat.

As for the durability of the buttons... They show little to no wear. They have always functioned perfectly.

Joeymt3

Enlightened
Here are some pics of a battle tested light.

It fits nicely on my leatherman pouch
eqy8yhyn.jpg

The fenix logo is almost wore off the lanyard.
ymepyqu6.jpg

u9uny5u5.jpg