*NEW* Fenix PD40 1x26650 MT-G2 Light

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as efficiency of the MT-G2 vs XM-L2, not sure how they compare.

I did some rough math a while back...at peak output, XM-L2 and MT-G2 have almost identical efficiency. Of course, at 1000 lumens, the XM-L2 is at redline, and the MT-G2 is just cruising. So at that particular drive level, the MT-G2 will definitely be more efficient. At 300 lumens, I'd guess the MT-G2 would still win out, but the difference wouldn't be as large. This is one reason why triples and quads actually make sense...even if it gives you similar output to a single-LED setup, you will get less waste heat, and better runtime, assuming all else is equal.

Last edited:

andrew2

Newly Enlightened
I did some rough math a while back...at peak output, XM-L2 and MT-G2 have almost identical efficiency. Of course, at 1000 lumens, the XM-L2 is at redline, and the MT-G2 is just cruising. So at that particular drivel level, the MT-G2 will definitely be more efficient. At 300 lumens, I'd guess the MT-G2 would still win out, but the difference wouldn't be as large. This is one reason why triples and quads actually make sense...even if it gives you similar output to a single-LED setup, you will get less waste heat, and better runtime, assuming all else is equal.

Sounds great,I am just curious about how to test it?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some rough math a while back...at peak output, XM-L2 and MT-G2 have almost identical efficiency. Of course, at 1000 lumens, the XM-L2 is at redline, and the MT-G2 is just cruising. So at that particular drive level, the MT-G2 will definitely be more efficient. At 300 lumens, I'd guess the MT-G2 would still win out, but the difference wouldn't be as large. This is one reason why triples and quads actually make sense...even if it gives you similar output to a single-LED setup, you will get less waste heat, and better runtime, assuming all else is equal.

Then again, triple and quad XM-L2 lights are unlikely to have either the awesome tint or the artifact-free beam of a single MT-G2. Especially since most of these lights are cool white only. One only need compare the PD40 to, say, the Foursevens MMU-X3 to see what I'm talking about. That's one reason why, for me, the MT-G2 will ALWAYS win out over a triple or quad light.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then again, triple and quad XM-L2 lights are unlikely to have either the awesome tint or the artifact-free beam of a single MT-G2. Especially since most of these lights are cool white only. One only need compare the PD40 to, say, the Foursevens MMU-X3 to see what I'm talking about. That's one reason why, for me, the MT-G2 will ALWAYS win out over a triple or quad light.

My comment about triples and quads was a tangent...I meant compared to a single die version using the same emitter. For example, a single XM-L2 over-driven to 1500 lumens, versus a triple XM-L2 where each LED is cruising at 500 lumens each. (That is part of the "all else equal" statement - if you use a different LED, you are introducing many other confounding variables, and rules of thumb won't cut it.) Sorry that was unclear. My comment was addressing the efficiency aspect, not arguing for any particular setup. I too prefer single LED MT-G2, in the real world, compared with multiple XM-L2. Not even a tough choice.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received mine. I like it and put the meter to it with a freshly charged ICR 26700. On eco- 0.035 amp, low- 0.148 amp, med- 0.590 amp, high and burst on the meter both do 2.7 amps. However off the meter there's a brightness difference so it looks like the circuit doesn't like the extra resistance from the meter. The slightest turn of the tail cap does lock out the battery. When on low and turning it off one half of the led has a slight glow while the other half is completely off. A few tries with a welder's lens showed this happening consistently when the light cycled from low to off. You can actually see the individual 36 dots on and the other 36 dots off.

Hi!
I find this light attractive. That both because I have two other lights with MT-G2 emitter and I like the tint. Also I already use lights powered by 26650 battery.
Just to be sure I got it right: this means a small turn of the tailcap makes this light protected from accidental activation?

LessDark

Enlightened
This light requires you holding down the button for 1 sec to turn the light on/off, which also helps against accidental activation.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
This light requires you holding down the button for 1 sec to turn the light on/off, which also helps against accidental activation.

That was the thing really holding me back on this light. But still on my radar.

markr6

Flashaholic
Really? That's one of the features I really like about this light, it's not annoying for me at least.

I guess it's not a big deal depending on how you use it. For me, a lot of my use is turning it on and off frequently, so a momentary switch is nice. Even a click on/off is OK. I don't think I could get used to holding it down every time.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's doable, just a little different from most,
I loan a E25 and most say it won't work or they can't shut it off lol.
It has same delay.
IMO, a double click would be a bit better for on and off.
Jmtc, still a sweet light at any rate.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for info, that's good. Even if I prefer forward clicky with momentary on but I can live with that. But I wonder about the runtime: the claimed time at 1000lm is 1h 45m. Still this does not make me satisfied because it's according to ANSI/NEMA standard(until 10% of output). Anyone who have measured the stable output time at 1000lm level?

texas cop

Enlightened
I'm using King Kong 26700 5000 mAh - ICR26700 Battery in my light and it has a fairly flat output curve for most of the batteries life. These particular batteries also showed a real capacity of about 5300 mah and has the ability to run the turbo mode for about half the cycle of the cell. A few other cells had trouble running turbo after only a little run time.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am surprised a 70mm long battery will fit in the PD40 without doing some crush damage to the battery, or to the flashlight circuit board.

Addendum: after looking at the specs for the Fenix 4800mAh battery, which is 70.5mm long, I am no longer surprised that the 26700 battery fits.

Last edited:

andrew2

Newly Enlightened
I am surprised a 70mm long battery will fit in the PD40 without doing some crush damage to the battery, or to the flashlight circuit board.

Addendum: after looking at the specs for the Fenix 4800mAh battery, which is 70.5mm long, I am no longer surprised that the 26700 battery fits.

There are coil springs on both sides,so I think it doesn't matter if the battery is one or two mm longer

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using King Kong 26700 5000 mAh - ICR26700 Battery in my light and it has a fairly flat output curve for most of the batteries life. These particular batteries also showed a real capacity of about 5300 mah and has the ability to run the turbo mode for about half the cycle of the cell. A few other cells had trouble running turbo after only a little run time.

I have two 4Sevens 4000mAh cells for my Maelstrom MMU-X3. This light puts out 1400-1500 lm for more than an hour, yes around 1000lm for more than two hours without cooling. Yes; 3x XM-L2 will be more efficient than one MT-G2 emitter, I think. Anyway 1000lm for one hour should be possible with PD40. Unfortunately Selfbuilt has not reviewed PD40, that would give all information needed.

anongpc

Newly Enlightened
use 26650 Have a longer battery life, And good quality of the overall work,I like it.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two 4Sevens 4000mAh cells for my Maelstrom MMU-X3. This light puts out 1400-1500 lm for more than an hour, yes around 1000lm for more than two hours without cooling. Yes; 3x XM-L2 will be more efficient than one MT-G2 emitter, I think. Anyway 1000lm for one hour should be possible with PD40. Unfortunately Selfbuilt has not reviewed PD40, that would give all information needed.

THE PD40 gives me 1000 lumens for 1:25 with a King Kong ICR and 1:35 with a Keeppower 5200. As for the MMU-X3, it may run for close to two hours. But it won't give you 1000 lumens for that time. It steps down to around 700 lumens (or so). Not sure how efficient a triple XM-L2 is compared to the MT-G2. But the one thing that probably helps it is the fact that it doesn't need a boost converter. On the other hand, the MMU-X3 is a less pleasant light to use due to its hideous cool white tint (with NO neutral option). And the beam quality is nowhere near as good as the PD40.