*new* Fenix UC35: micro-usb rechargeable, max 960 lumens

feifei

Banned
Actually i do that!:) In my edc bag i always carry a single bay mini charger capable of charging 1x18650 battery. And in the rare cases i should not, i still always carry a backup light. Well, i guess that choosing a light with or without a micro charging port is a matter of personal preference.

I agree,the advantage is that it is convenient if you don't have a charger,just bring a USB Cable with you.

tkoden

Newly Enlightened
If they come out with a shorter light, around 4" long, that is rechargeable, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I would love to be able to have a fully charged light every morning when I leave the house.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they come out with a shorter light, around 4" long, that is rechargeable, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I would love to be able to have a fully charged light every morning when I leave the house.

This light is pretty long though. I have been so used to carrying the Zebralight H600w which is 50% shorter that this one to me looks really long and bulky. But it may be worth getting even if it is just for its charging feature.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast

You should check the Olight S20R out.

Warp

Enlightened
Micro USB is definitely the way to go. It's everywhere. I already have micro USB charging capability in my car, my wife's car, sitting here at my computer, in my GHB that is in my car, in my carry on when I fly, etc. Why in the hell would I want some proprietary charge cord to keep track of separately from everything else?

It is a bit long though. Not really a pocket option, more of a bag or car option I suppose.

radiopej

Enlightened
I'll most likely use my separate 18650 charger and leave the USB port for emergency use. That way it'll be pristine when I have to use it. :) Micro USB is the perfect choice for that way.

lytumup

Newly Enlightened
I like that manufacturers are coming out with lights that are rechargeable, and there are pluses and minuses to each system. As a cell phone tech I have a lot of phones come in every week with damaged micro usb ports. I don't even charge my cell phone that way and instead use a QI charger to charge my Samsung S5. It is so easy to set it on the mat and it charges, no cables, no plugging in, very nice way to do it.

As far as proprietary cables like the magnetic charger on Klarus models, I think that is a much nicer way to go. A extra cable is only $8 and honestly after spending $100 to get the RS20 what is $8 bucks. Now, yes there will be someone that says but you have to buy only there battery to charge it in the flashlight, true on this model, but not others according to there website. Besides every time I buy a flashlight, I usually buy a couple extra batteries to go with it, and Klarus batteries are no more expensive than the Orbtronics that I use, so again no big deal.

Anyways everyone has there own ideas of what's best for them, that's the fun thing about having so many great manufactures to choose from.

Daekar

Enlightened
Having repaired hundreds of mobile phones, I consider a micro-USB port on any device a weak point. On a flashlight that will probably see more abuse than the average smartphone, I'm extra wary of this method of charging.

This is exactly how I feel. Most failed phones I've seen have simply stopped charging, and my next phone will have induction charging. I think the built-in rechargeable solution is great for non-flashaholics, but I will not buy a light that charges by USB. It must charge by external contacts on a cradle or it's simply another point of failure by fatigue. It's unfortunate, because I usually buy Fenix lights as gifts, and their current rechargeable lineup is pretty much a complete nonstarter - I've had to look elsewhere for rechargeable gift candidates.

The Apple-style magnetic Klaus charging ports are the way to go in the absence of a cradle, and they will be receiving my business based on that and their reputation for reliability.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those Klarus lights still need proprietary 18650's that can charge either orientation. This Fenix can charge any 18650 so there's that. I agree the magnetic usb cable is very nice, but you have to have that specific cable which might not be as convenient.

If somebody did get this light maybe you could charge cells normally and use the usb port as an emergency method of charging. It's nice to have it either way.

Neosec

Newly Enlightened
Well, I just ordered one. :clap:

I almost got the PD35 but then came across this thread.

I charge my cell phone almost every day and haven't had any trouble with the micro USB port. I'm guessing I'll only charge the UC35 once a week or so, so I'm not concerned about the charging port. I don't think the weather sealing on the USB port will be an issue either... but I'll let you know when I get it.

Neo

Warp

Enlightened
This is exactly how I feel. Most failed phones I've seen have simply stopped charging, and my next phone will have induction charging. I think the built-in rechargeable solution is great for non-flashaholics, but I will not buy a light that charges by USB. It must charge by external contacts on a cradle or it's simply another point of failure by fatigue. It's unfortunate, because I usually buy Fenix lights as gifts, and their current rechargeable lineup is pretty much a complete nonstarter - I've had to look elsewhere for rechargeable gift candidates.

The Apple-style magnetic Klaus charging ports are the way to go in the absence of a cradle, and they will be receiving my business based on that and their reputation for reliability.

I haven't had any micro-USB charged device problems (Android phones, power banks, hot spot, etc), neither has anybody in my family or even that I can think of. Is it really that common?

Besides, you don't have to use the USB charging option. You can always take the 18650 out and put it in a charger. I guess if you are really worried about the USB thing failing and don't want the extra cost/size then you can just get a PD35 and skip the whole USB thing altogether.

Daekar

Enlightened
I haven't had any micro-USB charged device problems (Android phones, power banks, hot spot, etc), neither has anybody in my family or even that I can think of. Is it really that common?
Well, I don't work in a repair shop so I don't have a huge sample size, but with all of the electrical devices I've ever had or my family has ever had, there are only three things that kill them: the screen fails, the battery loses capacity from too many charge cycles and it costs as much as a new device to buy a new battery, or they lose connection and can't charge because an internal contact is damaged or the female power connector itself gets "wallered out" (a very useful Southernism) such that it can no longer make contact with the male plug. My wife's Galaxy S3 is going through this very problem now, and I have had to buy a few different charging cables to get one with a connector on the large side of the tolerance to make contact. Maybe we just keep devices longer than most people.
Besides, you don't have to use the USB charging option. You can always take the 18650 out and put it in a charger. I guess if you are really worried about the USB thing failing and don't want the extra cost/size then you can just get a PD35 and skip the whole USB thing altogether.
This is absolutely right, and I have followed your wisdom myself and avoided devices with this kind of charging mechanism. I don't need it, personally - I've got a Pila charger for 18650s and more Eneloops than I can shake a Magligh... er, stick at. However, a light that can charge internally is a great way to get modern battery technology into the hands of a non-flashaholic without having to blow the money to buy them a separate battery charger and without having to give them a training session.

Because Fenix has decided to go this route, they've pretty much been disqualified in favor of Klarus, Streamlight, and Inova in the gift department. It's a shame too, because I've got a buddy who lives out in the sticks and can't afford a decent light (kids are expensive...), and I think he would like the Fenix lineup... but he's hard on tools. I'm thinking it's going to be a Streamlight for him, cradle-style, so he can plug it in at the house and have it ready to go all the time, no little tiny plugs to worry about.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
I'm thinking it's going to be a Streamlight for him, cradle-style, so he can plug it in at the house and have it ready to go all the time, no little tiny plugs to worry about.
What about the new Olight S10R/S15R/S20R?

Neosec

Newly Enlightened
Well, I've had the UC35 for a day or so, and so far it's a keeper. It's my 4th LED light (counting a Petzl headlamp) and the brightest by far. As for the micro-USB connector... I'm happy to have it. I have a couple USB chargers (Samsung) in the house and a generic one in my car that I use to charge my phone, Bluetooth headset, tablet, etc. Now I can use them to charge my UC35 too. :thumbsup:

When all else fails, read the instructions...
When I first got the light I plugged in the USB charger but got no feedback that it was charging. As it turns out, after plugging in the charger you have to switch-on the tail-cap switch. The side switch glows Red while charging then goes Green when complete. When a USB charger is connected the flashlight's Cree XM-L2 main LED does not come on when the tail-cap switch is switched on, but instead initiates a charging cycle. An added bonus to this is that when the USB charger loses power, like in a power outage, the UC35 comes on providing emergency lighting.

The light came with a USB cable that fits the micro-USB port on the light pretty well :ironic: but all my other cables seem to lack the ubiquitous tactile snap-into-place feedback that I get from my other devices. It's more of a snug-fit, but does seem to work fine. Time will tell.

The environmental cover over the micro-USB port is only intended to keep out dust, rain, and splashes IMHO, which I think it will do just fine. As seen in the image here...

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server4...48AM14267__18177.1413485773.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Image tags removed see Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

The (silicone?) cover attaches to the light on the right hand side by way of a slot machined into the body; right of the connector. When closed it's held in place by a snug friction fit in the recess above and below the connector. The left side, where it opens from, doesn't seem to have any active sealing characteristics only passive by way of laying snuggly in the slot. I feel that the psychics of water pressure on the soft silicone will indeed provide the necessary seal to keep water out of the micro-USB connector when the light is submerged. This light is not intended to be a dive light with only an IPX8 rating so all this talk of submerging is a bit pointless. That said...

In my unscientific testing I filled my kitchen sink with water, seven inches deep, turned the UC35 on low and dropped it into the water. After about 10 seconds I saw a very small air bubble forming on the right hand side of the micro-USB cover where it's attached. It floated to the surface, and then another formed. If air is coming out, then water is going in. I removed the light from the water immediately and dried off the exterior of the light. I opened the connector cover and found no water in, or around the micro-USB connector or anywhere under the USB cover. To me, this meant that the water was going into the slot that holds the cover to the light. This slot may not penetrate the body all the way to the electronics and may not be an issue at all. I didn't want to find out. Perhaps Fenix can reply and elaborate on this anomaly.

Overall I'm happy with the UC35 and it will be my primary light.

Happy holidays all.

Last edited by a moderator:

aikiman44

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I own a bunch of customs; and I'm picking one up one for myself and a several as gifts.

Infinite Zero

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up the UC35 yesterday. I got the UC40 the day it was released, and was very disappointed with it. It wasn't bright, it had a strange interface, and it lacked a clip despite being the ideal size for one. The UC40 UE came out a year later or so, and while that fixed the brightness issues, it did nothing to fix the form factor.

The UC35 is everything I wanted the UC40 to be. It is a USB-rechargable PD35, no more, no less. The interface is the same as the PD35, and it even charges (and comes with) a standard 18650 cell. While the UC40 was a misstep in my opinion, the UC35 is perfect.

fenix1

Newly Enlightened
Question, does this recharge any 18650 or does this require a specialty battery like the UC40?

UC35 can be used to charge the common 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery from 65mm to 71mm in length.

fonarik.com

Newly Enlightened
The UC35 is everything I wanted the UC40 to be. It is a USB-rechargable PD35, no more, no less. The interface is the same as the PD35, and it even charges (and comes with) a standard 18650 cell. While the UC40 was a misstep in my opinion, the UC35 is perfect.

This model will be popular.
There's a Problem, UC35 is not as comfortable in the hand as PD 35. there is no harmony in design and size, as in pd35. I hope you can understand me.

curlysir

Newly Enlightened
This model will be popular.
There's a Problem, UC35 is not as comfortable in the hand as PD 35. there is no harmony in design and size, as in pd35. I hope you can understand me.

Fits my hand well. I choose the UC35 over the PD 35 because it is rechargeable. I like the ability to be able to recharge anywhere I can find a USB port.