New HL from Petzl: Pixa series

Tobias Bossert

Newly Enlightened
Re: De-domed XPG's R5 on PIXA3

I got a Pixa3 in my hands. Very solid mechanically. But far too narrow beams for progression in a cave.
Here are some beam shots with mode 1 (wide beam only), mode 2 (combined wide and narrow beam) and mode 3 (narrow beam only).
Mode 1
Pixa3_mode1.jpg

Mode 2
Pixa3_mode2.jpg

Mode 3
Pixa3_mode3.jpg

All three beams are not realy smooth and edge free. Petzl should improve the optics!

For comparison, here is a beam shot of my own helmet lamp, which is optimized for walking in a cave or at a rough terrain.
Tobis_HL.jpg

Tobias

clemence

Newly Enlightened
Re: De-domed XPG's R5 on PIXA3

Tobias,

Yes, the beams are bad, that's why I modified them. But it was a win-loss mod. I got a very nice spread of beams in flood and spot modes, but that sacrifice lumen output (also mean less throw). The ultimate mod. would be an upgrade to higher performance LEDs (XPG/XTE) and DEFINITELY different optics! But, since this HL originally designed for close works and occasional medium sights, other than those defective beam patterns, it's OK with me. Caving activities require more intense and longer throwing beam, it's no place for this poor PIXA3 (But you can still share your adventure with it from your back-up compartment).
An easy fix for the low beam spread is to use scotch tape as mentioned earlier by the other member. Or you could just place a thin clear sanded hard plastic (like those found on books cover).

larcal

Newly Enlightened
Check in time everyone!

Well now its been 2 1/2 years and time I'd say time for everyone who bought one of these to belly up to the bar and ladle out their complaints and praise for this light, prefaced perhaps by how much you have actually used and abused it.

Especially since there have not been any other threads on this since.

One main issue of course is whether they are really as durable as first believed.

Is the switch mechanical or electronic?

Personally I'm especially interested in the #1 so how about it Coors, Led addict, and whomever else I'm forgetting that said they bought a Pixa 1?

Bolster, you were considering the 1 a lot in 2011. Did you ever spring for it?

Last edited: