New Maglite Spectrum Series in warm white and colored LEDS

bykfixer

Flashaholic
16.15mm for the aaa minimag. He'll make a Solitaire one for 15¢ per mm. Send him an email for that.

Go there, click on "categories", then "Maglite applications" and you'll see each size/model listed. Nothing for Solitaire is listed, probably due to lack of interest in the incan version. But now that the LED version is out he may make up a batch.
When I requested custom sized for ML25's he added that size to the Mag lineup and charged me normal price.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Each item is missing the performance details....Once they fill that in and the retail cost, we'll see how it stacks up.

I'd consider a warm Solitaire depending.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
16.15mm for the aaa minimag. He'll make a Solitaire one for 15¢ per mm. Send him an email for that.

Go there, click on "categories", then "Maglite applications" and you'll see each size/model listed. Nothing for Solitaire is listed, probably due to lack of interest in the incan version. But now that the LED version is out he may make up a batch.
When I requested custom sized for ML25's he added that size to the Mag lineup and charged me normal price.

Thanks! I did finally see that on the website. The only thing that threw me off was it says the custom stuff is either 2 or 3 mm thick which would be too thick for the Solitaire.

I wonder how warm it will be. MagLite says it's similar to sunlight which would be simply splendid.

I'm also curious what the LED die size will be. Between the XL100, XL200, and XL50, I'm pretty sure they are all using the same reflector. However they all have different beam patterns which I believe is entirely due to differences in die size and hieght. I'm hoping its larger than the LED in the regular XL50. The hotspot is super tight and really bright but it kinda gives you tunnel vision. Great throw, but I prefer a floodier beam myself.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely an interesting addition to the Mag line up.Thanks for pointing these out xxo! Not sure if I will get one but I wouldn't mind picking up a few at the right price. Curious to see the warm white. As a neutral fan I would like to see a neutral/warm LED incorporated into Mags regular models. I have to think the color models are going to be a very limited market not really appealing to the usual Mag buyer.I wonder how long Mag will carry them in the line-up?

scout24

Flashaholic
I looked for these in the very limited selection in my local Home Depot, no luck. Either they're not in the supply lines yet, or they're not going to carry them. Wouldn't mind the 2C twisty-only I picked up being a warm white...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Z Battery hasn't gotten them yet.

I suspect Mag will do like they did the ML25. They made a batch of xxxxx in each style be it IT or LT in 2 and 3 cell length. If this style or that sells well they'll make more. Say like the 2 cell incan version that they made like 50 thousand or so in 2016 (I speculate the batch size). Serial numbers at 12-15 thousand can still be found in some stores. The 2 cell LED version in places like Wally World have serial numbers in the millions yet in March of 016 I acquired #071 in the incan and #1284 in the LED.

So they'll probably do the same for the minimag and XL50. I suspect they'll be very similar in tint to the already neutral leaning ML50's and 300's that are far, far away from a Streamlight copy paper white or the former Maglite cool with a hint of blue.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect we won't see these at most of the B&M retailers but hopefully some of the regular online stores will have them. If I walk into Home Depot or anywhere similar and see them I am sure I will end up one or two......:whistle:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could be wrong but, I kind of doubt that these will ever be carried by the big box brick and mortar stores, especially the colors. Warm white may catch on, but I kind of doubt that too......most of the public seems to prefer cool white, but this may be changing and Mag is moving towards neutral white on their ML25, ML50 and ML300's.

maglite mike

Enlightened
Could be wrong but, I kind of doubt that these will ever be carried by the big box brick and mortar stores, especially the colors. Warm white may catch on, but I kind of doubt that too......most of the public seems to prefer cool white, but this may be changing and Mag is moving towards neutral white on their ML25, ML50 and ML300's.
XXO would you consider the ML line to be cool ? I feel the ML25 is a bit warmer then the ML 300. I prefer warmer light.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
XXO would you consider the ML line to be cool ? I feel the ML25 is a bit warmer then the ML 300. I prefer warmer light.

I would say they are cool, but a lot closer to neutral compared to older LED Mags. My ML25 is also more neutral than my ML300, which is not bad either. With Mags there is also some tint lottery, as might be expected considering they make millions of lights.

Personally I like neutral tints. I'm not a tint snob but given a choice, I'll take neutral or at least close to neutral over cool or warm.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
To me the 016 lineup were neutral tinted. Now my XL50 was a pre 016 model, so they too may have gone to more neutral tint. Maybe you guys have experience there.

I see perhaps Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas carrying the colored beam'd lights. Maybe some cop stores. It wouldn't surprise me to see some in certain WalMarts or at least on their website where they mail it to you or send it to your local store. I've bought several "not available in stores" items from the WalMart site including my stainless steel wedding band that was a style only available online. (Their website is a miniAmazon.)

We should know by spring/summer what's what.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered the warm white AAA last night, supposed to be here around the 6th.

I'm kinda excited about this light...maybe we can now stop reading about how "far behind" Maglite is in regards to LEDs.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I'm a little late to the party here but still wanted to comment.

What would be the use of green or blue? I can't see a market for them at all but maybe I'm wrong.

The red is nice but it's too bad it's only red. They should have a backup red LED that is switchable so it would be white most of the time with red when needed. I can't see anything but a tiny market for a dedicated red light.

The warm however is long overdue but very welcome. I wish they would have done it on their full size lights too but I imagine the XLs are selling much better these days than the big old Ds and Cs since the run time on the LEDs is so great. I think it would have been super helpful if their marketing department did more to explain the benefits or even look of a warm light as compared to the cool tints they normally run. The vast majority of consumers have NO idea what a warm LED even is. If they would have run a nostalgic marketing campaign comparing the tint to a bulb and showing some nasty cool tints they probably would have slayed their primary competition, cheap, Chinese lights. Just goes to show when you have a good name marketing isn't that important. Reminds me of the 70s, 80s, and 90s GMs and Fords. Hopefully like Ford and GM Maglite can make a resurgence one day.

Like others have said there are better lights out there for less $$$$ but the Maglite name soldiers on. I'll try one, probably an XL50, for nostalgia purposes but I can't see this being an EDC for me.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm kinda excited about this light...maybe we can now stop reading about how "far behind" Maglite is in regards to LEDs.

It's a step in the right direction. Now they're just behind instead of far behind. :)

EDIT: Also wanted to mention too, the prices on Mag's website are always 2 X too high. They do that to deter people form buying directly from Mag instead of going through their distributors. Expect to see these lights for about half the cost when they hit Amazon.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Man it aint even 2018 yet and I've got like 15 lights on my list. These are high up there.

Around here, we'll likely never hear "Maglite isn't behind" unless they ever decide to join the flashion industry and offer gimmick of the month products. Even then some will find something to disagree about them.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Around here, we'll likely never hear "Maglite isn't behind" unless they ever decide to join the flashion industry and offer gimmick of the month products. Even then some will find something to disagree about them.

Even if they officially supported something other than alkaleaks, would at least bring them into this century. And maybe flat regulated output, on 2 or 3 different output levels? (Bring them up to 2010.)

Warm tints is a good direction, though... depending on the tint. (Of course, they had warm tints back in the 1990's, when they used incan.)

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where did ya order it from? I'm stuck between an XL50 and a Solitaire. I know I'll get more use out of the Solitaire though.

Also, does anyone know what purpose the green or blue lights would serve?

Mike 208

Enlightened
Per Mag's website:

"Blue is the preferred light source for pilots, great for reading maps in low light or no light environments. Blue light provides great detail and does not wash out symbols, notes or elevation markers on maps. Used by hunters for blood tracking. Forensic personnel and crime scene technicians use blue light to detect bodily fluids."

"Green is great for outdoors as animals, insects and fish typically do not react to seeing a green light source. Visually your eye responds better to seeing green and blue colored lighting. Protects your night vision typically associated with using white LEDs for extended periods of time."

Hope this helps.

Latest posts