New Maglite Spectrum Series in warm white and colored LEDS

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, I must have missed that.

I always thought red was the preferred color for pilots and other folks that need their night vision.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
all posted above about blue green and red is correct. Red is best for preserving night vision for general purpose use on the ground(usually). Most folks naked eyes adapt to the dark naturally no matter if they are aware of it or not. Red is supposed to illuminate well while still preserving your naturally adapted night vision(focus basically).

Switching to low red light at night to identify something for example from off to on and back off quickly your eyes do not either have to re adjust to the dark or readjust as much. That is just one of the main uses and principles for good quality lower output RED lights.

But of course everybody is different. The reality is that FAR more of all humanity are color blind in varying degrees of severity. It is the monkey wrench that either makes life MUCH easier for one end user but the exact same Red beam LED flashlight to somebody else may just look like a confusing BLUR.

Most of humanity has at least 1 form of permanent UV damage right on their own corneas and never even know it as well. I have filled thousands of prescriptions for some very severely visually damaged patients that well...just never bothered to even get a single eye exam in their entire lives until they somehow make it to my office by driving themselves there. THAT BAD.

the colors that most RGB type emitters put out are technically barely close to actual R G or B. They have indeed come a very long way quite recently though it is about time! I personally have my eye on the NW XL50....hmmm...

if you do indeed need an R G or B light the best, yet unfortunately not easy to do for most folks, way to ensure that they meet their R G or B expectations is to hold a copy in their own hands and use it with their own eyes.

Mags XL50 has come an EXTREMELY long way! One thing that they better have done with these new RGB NW XL50's is finally fixed that rattling noise that every XL50 has when you move one even remotely quickly. A quality glass lens SHOULD at least be an option. But hey...I must have had a dozen Mag XL's I used for actual work cause it was still a better beam than a cheap incan. 25 bucks? Of course they fly off any big box shelf...

Last edited:

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I'm up for a green mini mag when they hit the distributors. Hope somebody posts when that happens.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Solitaires just hit everyone's favorite auction site at $19 free shipping. 30% off of Mag's posted prices is pretty common. I haven't seen any other models for sale yet.

I'm prob not going to order one just yet because I'm spent out for the month and might just wait for the XL50.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mags XL50 has come an EXTREMELY long way! One thing that they better have done with these new RGB NW XL50's is finally fixed that rattling noise that every XL50 has when you move one even remotely quickly. A quality glass lens SHOULD at least be an option. But hey...I must have had a dozen Mag XL's I used for actual work cause it was still a better beam than a cheap incan. 25 bucks? Of course they fly off any big box shelf...

Now if Mag would come out with a 1 AA XL50, they would really have something! I don't like the idea of using 3 AAA's and a battery carrier when you can basically get the same power from a single AA in a slightly slimmer form factor, but that's just me.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy smokes that crazy money! I could prob make a second career out of importing these for half the price.

Yeah, cost is another reason why I hate mags. Ridiculous prices for them in Canada, for a very simple light. Maybe in the US they make more sense. Well, at least where price is concerned.

You don't really see them very much in Canada any more. They used to be in every store 10 or 15 years ago. They were pricey back then, but there wasn't much competition. Now, there's a huge number of very good flashlight manufacturers, most of them less costly.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Target has the 47L Solitaire in the Memphis area. I did not happen to see the price (it was clearly on the wrong peg, but I didn't have time to hunt down the correct peg for it).

--flatline

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, cost is another reason why I hate mags. Ridiculous prices for them in Canada, for a very simple light. Maybe in the US they make more sense. Well, at least where price is concerned.

You don't really see them very much in Canada any more. They used to be in every store 10 or 15 years ago. They were pricey back then, but there wasn't much competition. Now, there's a huge number of very good flashlight manufacturers, most of them less costly.

Maybe I can get Ricky and Julian to bring a few truckloads in. :grin2:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In the old days pilots had a small light with optional red filter. I suppose that is why the popular notion of pilot flashlights having a red filter... because that was the only choice. These days they have a choice.
I have found I see better with a dim blue than dim red. Also it seems I can be more stealth with blue because I can see more with less output, thereby less likely to give away my position at a distance with a dimmer light.

Green? Some prefer that as their filter for various reasons. Some say it works better for them than red or blue. Yeah, I can understand that.

Why did Mag do colored lights that only have that one color? Perhaps the same reason they did incan ML25's when the LED versions came out. A niche market nobody else had tapped into.
Big seller? Probably not, but to the person who wants a flashlight that only puts out a green beam Maglites minimag has a good reputation at being a reliable, US built flashlight for a big box store price.

I speculate the sales of the incan ML25 in 2016 played a role in their decision to put out warm LED lights in their popular, small flashlights. They did a white LED ML25 and a warm tint incan. Perhaps it led them to think perhaps the consumer market is wanting the classic Maglite era incan tint with a more modern output. That puts them in a class by themselves all by themselves, at least for now...
Warm tinted consumer marketed flashlights, not to be confused with the hobby marketed like those popular here at CPF.

Who knows? Maybe it'll open doors for the hobby marketed lights to enter....

Last edited:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
The Solitaires just hit everyone's favorite auction site at $19 free shipping. 30% off of Mag's posted prices is pretty common. I haven't seen any other models for sale yet.

Thanks for the heads up! Got one on the way. I hope I like it. $19 isn't that bad honestly. If that's too expensive I won't mention my other lights here... [emoji41]

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I was kinda eyeballing the 2 AAA one. I wonder why there are no lumen or run times posted, or am I missing it somewhere?

JT

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
^me too, always have a 2aaa maglite near me, definitely want an aaa-ww.

But i always look forward to new developments by maglite, & the agitated reactions they elicit. I mean it got mad in here immediately, and over and over again. Like the dry heaves.

Brutus

Newly Enlightened
Even if they officially supported something other than alkaleaks, would at least bring them into this century. And maybe flat regulated output, on 2 or 3 different output levels? (Bring them up to 2010.)

Warm tints is a good direction, though... depending on the tint. (Of course, they had warm tints back in the 1990's, when they used incan.)

If they make it a chargable and add perhaps 2x 10440 and a decent output, it would be a good light. If it had different outputs I wouldn't buy one.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Late to this thread, but thanks for the heads up & glad to see they are offering these. :thumbsup:

When you start looking for lights that will specifically do red, green, blue, etc. it's kind of a limited market out there -- especially if you want U.S. made. Kudos to them for taking the initiative. I wonder what the output and wavelength will be for the red Solitaire; looks like they haven't updated the specs page yet. (Hopefully not too bright, considering its intended audience.)

Pssst... and hey Mag-Lite, if you're reading this -- what would also be really nice was if there was a colored lens filter kit for the Mini Mag 2xAAA and Solitaire. :D