*NEW* Nitecore TM16

markr6

Flashaholic
You might want to charge them to 4.1 or even 4.0, rather than fully charge them. It will still give you good data, and it will avoid the worst of the capacity loss. (Lithium-ion cells really do not like being at full charge for extended periods.)

I ordered a TM16 as well...couldn't resist the great Gearbest price. Also ordered some button top NCR18650GA cells to go with it...I'm assuming the physical lockout will work properly with those cells. Honestly I doubt I'll keep the light...I prefer dedicated throwers/flooders, rather than the jack of all trades/master of none. But I do like Nitecore, and I couldn't resist seeing (up close) the Nitecore answer to the Fenix TK75.

4.1v is a good idea. I generally charge all my cells to 4.1v since they don't see a ton of use; definitely not daily use.

I'd love to get some NCR18650GA for this light, but I already have "leftover" Samsung 25Rs from the M43vn I got rid of. No luck selling, so I guess they'll work here.

BTW I ended up with 2x4000K and 2x5000K XM-L2 in mine for a nice neutral tint. I'm sure I'll like it!

HEDP

Enlightened
Hi Guys.

I've been reading what the web has posted on the TM16 to see what others have had to say on the TM16. This is what I posted on my experience with the TM16 on Amazon. Hope it helps those who want a personal opinion of the TM16. Wishing all well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I received the TM16 this afternoon and tonight, took it outback and came away from the experience with a huge, ear-to-ear grin. This is the flashlight we've all wanted since childhood.

First things first. For the price ($200.00), besides the flashlight, the buyer receives two empty plastic 18650 boxes that are each designed to hold a pair of 18650s. The buyer also receives a light duty lanyard, a couple of extra "O" rings for the end cap and an instruction book. No belt carrying case was included. Bummer but I don't think this was an omission or oversight as the Nitecore EC4 has a belt case included.

Compared to flashlights of six to eight years ago, this is a tiny, compact searchlight. The head is 3.5" wide and 2.5" tall. The rest of the light consists of a handle (battery tube) that is 4.5" long and 2.125" wide. The handle fits an average man's hand well. My hand is neither large or small so I consider my hand to be an average size hand. With batteries installed, using a postal scale, the TM16 weighed 24.7oz or 700g.

The light should be used with high draw, 3400mAh, 18650 PROTECTED Li-ion (Panasonic inside) Orbtronic 3.7V Batteries. I use high draw 18650s purchased especially for use in this light. Pricey batteries? Yes. But at the same time, better batteries give a longer run-time and easily meets the amperage draw requirements (when on turbo) of a light like this so it's not always turning off.

For charging purposes, I recommend the Nitecore D4 Charger. I've tried many chargers and in my opinion, the D4 charger is the best charger I've found. The display on the D4 automatically displays the amount of time the batteries have been on charge. Also, the display automatically toggles between charged voltage and shows how much current is being pumped into the battery at any one time and moment. By any stretch of the imagination, this is a sweet charger. I've had the charger long enough to say: I love it. :D

The TM16 is, despite its compact size, a potato masher size flashlight but it has a throw that makes everything in life better.

I took the TM16 into our backyard which backs up to BLM land, so there are no streetlights or houselights to ruin the dark. All one can see is the black of an unlit forest. For comparison purposes, I used a Nitecore EC4 (1000 lms) on turbo to fill the wilderness with light. Very nice. On Turbo, the EC4 is an excellent light but lights the fronts of trees, exposes close in shadows and doesn't get deep back into distant shadows. When one hits turbo on the TM16, everything lights up; trees, deep shadows, distant trunks.....quite literally, everything. The TM16 puts the term, "very nice," in the dirt. One comes away from the light comparison experience (EC4 vs TM16) knowing in the TM16, they have a "REAL" flashlight in their hands. Again, this is the flashlight we've all wanted since we were children and I'm not exaggerating.

The next lighting test was to go out front. In front, we have a long, straight, downhill stretch of road and the bottom of the hill is about a thousand feet away. When the TM16 turbo mode is used, literally, at this distance, in a pitch black night, one has enough light to be able to tell who is waving back at you. Yes, it's that powerful of a light and it's a light you'll be happy you purchased. It sure made me smile.

A final lighting test was to walk to a close by wilderness area and see how the TM16 performed as a search/spotlight in a forest setting. And the TM16 passed with flying colors. Yes, for me, walking a darkened trail is a spooky experience but the spill of the TM16 is about a hundred feet wide and the throw is as far as the road, trail, trees and underbrush allows. When walking with this light in front of you, on the darkest of nights, one doesn't feel they're walking in the dark. For evaluation purposes, everything close by, front and sides, is lit up. With freshly charged high output batteries, run time on turbo is about a full hour and the temperature of the light housing rises to warm, not hot.

The TM16 is a great search light which, at a hundred or more yards, is more than capable of easily filling in distant shadows when looking for somebody or something that one might consider important and due to well placed settings, the TM16 doubles as a walking flashlight with just enough light and throw to light up what's immediately in front of you yet with a couple clicks of the mode button, one immediately has enough light to flood a football field. For functionality, if one is needing much more than a football field of light, they're going have to purchase a much more powerful light and we all know they're coming. :D Maybe a "quality" light with 16,000 lms? :D

If one is looking for a flashlight that can turn night into day at a hundred plus yards, the TM16 is a flashlight I feel very comfortable recommending. Out in the pitch black darkness of a nighttime forest, nothing is going creep up on the user (except from behind) as they'll easily see the reflection of a nighttime predator's eyes much further out than a thousand feet. Cougar in a tree? You'll easily see their glowing eyes and know not to go near that tree. Be it bear or human, at night, w/4000 lms, the strobe effect is certain to blind or confuse any attacker.

To paraphrase Paul Hogan's character, Mick Dundee; that's not a flashlight.......this is a flashlight. In my opinion, the TM16 is a beast and is a well priced beast that will definitely get one where they want to go.

Great review! I wish there was pics though.

I just got the Nitecore D4 charger based on recommendations from here, so that makes me feel good. It's my first quality charger.

However, I didn't get the batteries you got. I got these: KeepPower 3.6V 18650 3400mAh Lithium Protected Rechargeable Batteries. Now I'm worried that they won't work as well since they aren't 10amp like the ones you bought.

How much will my performance suffer with these batteries?

http://www.gearbest.com/chargers-batteries/pp_104176.html

markr6

Flashaholic
However, I didn't get the batteries you got. I got these: KeepPower 3.6V 18650 3400mAh Lithium Protected Rechargeable Batteries. Now I'm worried that they won't work as well since they aren't 10amp like the ones you bought.

I wouldn't worry about it. I know I can't say for sure, but I'd be surprised if there was a noticeable difference to the human eye. Now xxxxFire batteries and you may have a problem, but not with good Keeppower 3400mAh cells.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice writeup Parrot Quack! I'm glad you like the light. Sounds like you have a great place to do some testing. Mine will arrive Monday and I can't wait!! The one thing that still worries me is the drain while off and locked out. If I can resist using it for a few months (unlikely), I plan on putting in fully charged cells at 4.20v and seeing what they measure after 1 month, 2 months, etc. Just so I know for sure.

Waiting is always the hard part. :D

Thanks for the positive review thought. Being into flashlights, despite it's potato masher size, personally, I don't think it's overly large. I'm of the opinion, this is a flashlight everybody will like. I wish you luck with the parasitic battery drain issue. Myself? Every once-in-a-while, whenever I think about it, I pull all the rechargeables in the house out of their holders and recharge everything. I'm of the understanding, doing this won't cause me or the batteries, any harm.

Great review! I wish there was pics though.

I just got the Nitecore D4 charger based on recommendations from here, so that makes me feel good. It's my first quality charger.

Thanks! Sorry about not having any pics.

From all that I could find and read online, the deal being, due to high drain needs, in the case of low drain batteries, the batteries will heat up and the flashlight will shut off. With the exception of heat issues, I don't think there's a performance gain or hit. Agreed, the Nitecore D4 charger is sweet. From all that I've read, using high drain batteries is suppose to prevent heat related shutoff issues. I have to go by what you guys post as I consider you guys the experts on these sorts of issues.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

Your choice of batteries seems to be an excellent choice of batteries.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...est-Review-of-Keeppower-18650-3400mAh-(Black)

chuckhov

Enlightened
Parrot said: "The light should be used with high draw, 3400mAh, 18650 PROTECTED Li-ion (Panasonic inside) Orbtronic 3.7V Batteries. "

But, Where does it say that they are "high-draw" cells, except in the ad copy?

The cell under the wrapper is stated to be: "
Battery cell: Panasonic NCR18650B"

They say that the "high-draw' is made possible because they use a different protection circuit, but it is well known that the 18650b is Not high-draw even Without a protection circuit.

None the less, I don't see the TM16 as being a "high-draw light (many hands make for light work - 4 cells), so I do think that they will work just fine with this light.

That advertising is just more BS to gain market share... something more to muddy the waters.

Thanks,
-Chuck

HEDP

Enlightened
So there's no way to lock out this light to stop battery drain unless you take the batteries out fully?

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Parrot said: "The light should be used with high draw, 3400mAh, 18650 PROTECTED Li-ion (Panasonic inside) Orbtronic 3.7V Batteries. "

But, Where does it say that they are "high-draw" cells, except in the ad copy?

Thanks,
-Chuck

As an ignorant, I have to go by information posted by the manufacture and review/tests forum members post. From past research, I read that the TM16 needs at least a 5A draw battery to protect against thermal shutdown.

Posted on Orbtronic website: http://www.orbtronic.com/protected-3400mah-18650-li-ion-battery-panasonic-ncr18650B-orbtronic

Specifications:

• Capacity (Ah): 3.4 Ah (3400mAh)
  • Energy (Wh): 12.2 Wh
  • Energy Density (Wh/L): 730 Wh/L
  • Nominal Voltage (V): 3.6V - 3.7V
  • Charging Voltage (V): 4.2 V
  • Weight (g): 46 g /1.62 oz
  • Diameter (mm): 18.6 mm (+/- 0.03)
  • Height (mm): 68.9 mm (+/- 0.03)
  • Max. Discharge rate: 2C (6.8A)
  • Pulse current (5-6 sec.): 10A

Test/Review by CPF member HKJ for 3600mAh vs what I wrote about, the 3400mAh 18650.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...est-Review-of-Orbtronic-18650-3600mAh-(Black)

And because of gross ignorance, without a flashlight, I'd truly be walking in the dark. :candle: Understanding how important accurate information is, my apologies that I don't have better/more information to link to nor could I find a direct test/review for the 3400mAh 18650.

Last edited:

chuckhov

Enlightened
Oh sir,

Not picking on You at all... I think that you have done a very fine job going on what information was available to you.

My beef is with Orbtronic, marketing the Panasonic 18650b as a "High-Draw" 10A cell.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJ8W3KC/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Even Without a protection circuit, HJK tests the Pan 18650b no higher than 5A.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh (Green) UK.html

Thanks for your good review, and thanks for your understanding...
-Chuck

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very interested in this light, so I have done some research. All of the illustrations show Nitecore 2600 mAh cells, the ANSI testing blurb says the tests were done with Nitecore 2600 mAh cells, I downloaded the User Manual, and it says nothing about needing high amperage cells either. Per Nitecore's website, each XP-L2 is drawing no more than 3 amps, which means a total draw of no more than 12 amps. In a 4P setup even protected ICR cells can meet that current draw, and a 2S2P or 4S cell setup will not change that. I will wait for definitive word from our review mavins, but am not worried about my current ICR cells not being up for the job.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,
Good deal on this light...just send me a pm.

Last edited:

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
So there's no way to lock out this light to stop battery drain unless you take the batteries out fully?

I stumbled across this while killing some time. According to Nitecore:

"5. Flashlight should not be placed under high-temperature environment. Batteries must be extracted and stored in cool and dry place after stopping using flashlight."

xed888

Enlightened
Could someone comment on the feel of the switches?

Are they the same size as the ec11 switches? Also I know that the mode switch of the ec11 has a softer, less click feel than the power switch. Same with the TM16?

Do the switches feel mushy as on the TK75?

Thanks

Bruno28

Enlightened
Switch has good feeling. Both buttons have the same feel. They are similar to ec11 but with a larger contact pad.

Here is pictures of switch size compared to ec11 and to my thumb.

Hope that helps.

5f2c89197c9ad3c2e6e462d7009a3aab.jpg

d4fddc22ae627f66b566dc3691020364.jpg

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the UI have memory?

Yes. Like a spouse, :grin2:

What ever brightness setting the light was on when turned off, that's the setting that will show when the power button is pushed again. It's a real nice interface:

When in the off position, hold button one (the top button) continuously for a second and you get immediate access to turbo setting.

Hold button two (the bottom button) continuously for a second and you get immediate access to moonlight/candle light setting.

When powered off, pressing button one, twice, quickly and you'll have immediately access to strobe.

While in the on position, a long hold of button one, allows immediate access to the strobe feature.

When off, pressing and holding the mode button down for a second gives you immediate access to the turbo mode.

Press button two, once and you get what ever brightness setting the light was on when turned off.

Special modes (strobe, locator beacon and SOS) are a bit more confusing. While the light is powered on, hold button one for more than a second and the light will enter strobe mode. Hold again for more than a second and the light will enter locator mode. Hold again and the light will enter SOS mode. Power off (button two), turns light off and power on, will turn the light on at what ever power setting the light was on before entering special mode settings.

Once committed to memory, if like me, you'll be glad you kept the instruction set, close at hand. :p

markr6

Flashaholic
Nitecore tested with their 2600mah cells. 5.2A rated.

NCR18650B under those orbtronics, 6.8 rated. No problems, but I don't know about protected cells...I never use them

Last edited: