New Raw K2 & NS K2

Jiffy

Newly Enlightened
Re: New Raw K2

Thanks Rob, I got my Raw K2 this morning. :goodjob:

My previous experience with Luxeons is limited to a 1w Nuwaii(?) and a 3w Petzl headtorch so I don't have much to compare it with. To my eyes, the beam is superb. As Rob said, there's no doughnut until you put it right up against something. I can't see any blue/green/etc tint in the light either.

The standard low setting is very useful so I'm glad I went for that. It gets hot really quickly on high so Rob's 1-2 min advice is right.

The threads are loosening up the more I use it which is good because it was really stiff at first. It's still quite difficult to put it on high.

All in all, I'm dead chuffed with it. I'm sure it's going to be very useful. This Raw is not going to lead a sheltered life! That's partly why I didn't specify a tritium on mine. Maybe I'll post some pics in a few months of the ugliest Raw around!

GrooveRite

Enlightened

Would be advisable to have a tritium vial(s) if I'm to just carry it in my jacket or jean pocket with nothing else (no keys or change)? I would like to carry my Raw without worrying of anything breaking.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unlike the JETBeams, the tritium vials from ORB are nicely recessed.
They're also so slim that the chances of something making direct contact with only the vial is pretty slim.
If the whole body of the light was damaged or crushed then the vial would of course break but remember that the amount of tritium contained in these things is completely harmless anyway.

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast

exciting news about a great light!

I wonder if this could be the best/brightest Raw so far?
if not which U bin 3 watt would be better?

SolarFlare

Enlightened

Nope , this is, the 190 lumen, retina scorching, RedRaw

redraw1.jpg

redraw2.jpg

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW! that RED RAW ROCKS!
I'll rephrase my question:
Is the new Raw K2 the most powerful white LED so far? or is the U bin Lux 3 a better move?

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice to see your Red Raw Solarflare :crackup:

The K2 White can be pushed to 1500 mah according to lumileds Specs. There are other white LEDs made up of more than one Chip/Die that are more powerful.
To my knowledge the K2 could be described as the most powerful single chip/die white LED availble today???
The K2's I have are UXOL's I.e U bins.

easilyled

Flashaholic

Just one question ...

Why is the highest mode (ie. burst) only recommended for 1-2 mins if these
new K2 luxeons are supposed to withstand much higher currents and junction temperatures than before?

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast

easilyled said:
Just one question ...

Why is the highest mode (ie. burst) only recommended for 1-2 mins if these
new K2 luxeons are supposed to withstand much higher currents and junction temperatures than before?

Good Question easilyled, Basically the manufacture covering his backside. The more Torches we sell out side CPF the more education is needed for these still very Niche LED Torches.
On a more common sense note, I have just Held a K2 NS on Full High for the 20Mins life of the battery. Bare hands and all!!
My definition of warm may be somebody Else's Bloody hot. Yes it was warm but not Hot I even passed it over to my 4 year old daughter. I warned her it may feel hot & not to drop it. She clasped it tight & said its not hot dad. She then passed it to my wife who dropped it immediately!!!
If your not aware small High power LED torches run Warm then it may come as a surprise. If you are fully aware & understand Power LED torches have to Run Warm On high settings then you have a dual purpose Light.

Your quite right with the higher junction temperature permitted on the K2 (150 Deg C) There ought to be less strain on the life of the LED.

:thanks:

SolarFlare

Enlightened

Ya can warm ya hands on the RedRaw from 5ft ;), infact, I swear it gave me a sun tan :laughing:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast

lightrod said:
So Rob - I'm wondering if this answers the inevitable question: how about the K2 on the Ns?

If the K2 "pushes" the Raw and CR2 then I suppose it totally shoves the Ns and the 14250 out the door?

Well the Raw Ns & 14250 handles these UXOL bin K2's nicely. Steady not to much heat & about 900 Ma draw from the Cell. :thumbsup:

If we were able to drive the K2 @ 1.5 amps with lower VF K2's then I think we should look for a cell that's specs say it can deliver that amount of current. We would also need to do something with the 6 watts of heat.

So no the Raw Ns & 14250 are not out the door with the K2. They are very much in my pocket & being used daily/nightly.
It does look kind of more powerful & good to know the LED can handle the higher Junction Temperatures. I like them :thumbsup:

Pixel

Newly Enlightened

orb said:
If we were able to drive the K2 @ 1.5 amps with lower VF K2's then I think we should look for a cell that's specs say it can deliver that amount of current.

The 14250 can do. My NS with a fully charged battery and your R/O LED pulls 1800mA! Of cource after minute or two, the battery weakens and the current drops to 1200mA. It seems I have something like G2GH bin with very low Vf. I use it for no more tjat 5-10 seconds at once.
But I often require from a flashlight to have such a boost mode that pushes the LED above its limits.

Last edited:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Your Very right Pixel, I have done a short circuit measurement on the 14250 & measured 8 Amps. The Cells will Deliver. But I do not recommend above 1 amp for longer than 10 Secs. I will do some abusive tests just to see if I can cause more I'll effects than Reduced Cycles.

lightrod

Enlightened

Taking the plunge on the K2 Ns and hoping to receive it within the next week.

Will do some testing on the output/runtime/beam profile ASAP.....

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi RD Aka Lightrod :wave: your CPF name has just clicked with your real name.
It will be very interesting to see the NS K2 beam profile etc. I still Really like it.
Big :thanks: for doing these new interesting graphs.

Your Raw K2 NS will be in the post Tomorrow.
:thumbsup: Rob

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my K2 Raw and it's a winner.
The low is very close to the high on my Raw T-bin and the high is well...... higher.
Not by much though.
If you're familar with the HDS lights the difference between high and low on the K2 is very similar to a 2 level drop on the HDS ultimates.
Maybe even a 1 level drop.
Noticable if you're looking for it but you just don't get the wow factor that you got betwen the low and the high on the old Raw.
It also takes a very hard twist to activate the high.
I was showing it to a friend who has an NS and he commented that the K2 was only a 1-stage. I told him that it was a 2 so he kept twisting to get the high. He finally gave up and gave the light back saying that he was afraid of breaking something.
I can do it because I'm used to it but it is tough.

The beam is slightly more floody than the old Raw but not too drastic.
I was really worried about this but I find it more than acceptable.
Any more floody though and I would've been very disappointed.

I am surprised though at the aluminum body.
This is my first standard Raw with the engraved logo and the engraving is rough to say the least.
The slot where the Trit lives is sharp enough to draw blood if I forced the isse and the logo is definitely skin snagging.
The engraving on both of my NSes is nothing like this -- much more 'finished' and refined.

To sum up, the led gets a :rock:
The beam get's a :goodjob:
But the aluminum body............... :wtf:

Last edited:

AlecGold

Enlightened
I ordered a ns with K2 as well. my reason for ordering the K2 is not the potential higher Lumen, but the more Robust making. It should withstand more and with a longer life. But also I'm wondering how much heat will be developed by the K2 at this 900 mAh . The maximum for those Leds is about 1500, if I read the manuals right.So I expect the Lo have a relative low operational temperature.

@ GJWhow long is the Runtime on the not so low-low? about hour?

When everything goes Right, I could have my Rawns K2 at the end of next week!

Woohoo!!!

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much agree with GJW's review. The body on mine may be a little better, although there is a rough spot in twisting from lo to hi. The beam is beautiful, a very useful mix of flood and throw. :goodjob:
overall a 4.5 out of 5.
1722290178232705677_rs.jpg

Left P1 duracell, Right Raw K2 Hi RCR2 @ 4 ft.
1294182690752004416_rs.jpg

Ambient
1963088651203720222_rs.jpg

P1
1965543714888741071_rs.jpg

Raw Hi
1129581261315506757_rs.jpg

Raw Lo
1984189673189880738_rs.jpg

(all 1/2 sec. @ 10 ft)

Last edited:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thanks: for the reviews guys, much appreciated.

GJW if you wish to return your Raw for a deburr or replacement your more than welcome.
Normally if there are aluminium burrs they are so soft you can almost take them off with your thumb nail. But maybe best with a small scraper.
I am sorry you got one you find rough.