New Raw K2 & NS K2

Jiffy

Newly Enlightened
Strange. The batteries I recieved are slightly different. One is slightly bigger than the other. It's a very slight difference but I notice one is easier to switch to high than the other and the shorter one sometimes doesn't sit so well in the charger.

megamee

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering has anyone noticed the current rising over time with the k2's? I read somewhere that there vf drops over the first few hours of use so current will increase.

At the moment with a fully charged battery the current is about 950ma but it drops pretty quickly to 850 or so ma. Wondering if that will change over time?

AlecGold

Enlightened
I don't know what it will drop, but it will drop as with every led. The documents I've seen sofar indicate no extreme drop.
There is btw a big difference between the fast drop, caused by the battery itself and the long-time drop caused by the led. I have no idea what causes the led to behave like that, but I asume the resistance inside the waffer will rise a bit.

lightrod

Enlightened
Some early results are in! Jusy got my Ns with K2 (UXOL)and the current "std" reflector a couple days ago. Did a few comparisons of my May vintage T-bin Ns with the Joker turned down reflector, the K2 light as received with the newer "std" reflector, and the Ns K2 with the reflector switched out to the Joker. The graphs do most of the talking. After getting a new U-bin LED in the next couple weeks I plan to update all this and post in the reviews section, but thought some of you might be interested....

First the light brightness data / summary. Not a huge difference visibly in the K2 vs the T, but the center beam brightness does improve with the K2 vs the T, and the Joker vs the std reflector:

Beam profile: raw brightness (Lux at 1 meter) vs. beam angle at 2 minutes after installing a fresh R14250 battery:

Beam profile: the same but as a relative % of max (beam center) brightness. This one IMO gives the best indicator of relative beam design, and it's more clear from this how the Joker gets more output concentrated in the center region of the beam:

Calculating how this all rolls up into output (Lumens) within the range of beam angles (the far right number is the total light output). The as shipped K2 with std reflector beats the Ns T with Joker, and the K2 with Joker beats everything. WOW!

Finally runtime on the K2 [UPDATE 8/26] - completed the test on hig, and for comparison pulled up some prior tests on the a TWAJ and UWOJ LuxIII Ns (Joker reflector on all). Interesting - on High K2 kills T, less runtime than U but much stronger during the runtime. Great runtime/output combo on not-so-low. I'll take the K2! Guessing I could run for an hour or so on not-so-low including many bursts on high of a minute or so.

Tint is good / natural looking. No obvious beam artifacts.

It gets VERY hot still on the high setting after a few minutes. I only ran the K2 light to 3 minutes and it was nearly impossible to pick up. Holding in your hand will help but I don't think it's a good idea to run on high more than a few minutes. Heat is no problem at all on the not-so-low setting.

Overall I am VERY impressed with the K2 - and with the joker it's a total ++ winner. Incredible output on high for this tiny thing, and the good/useful output lasting over 1 hour on not-so-low is a nice improvement IMO. Plenty of spill and great wide beam. Who says this light is not practical??

These Ns's just keep getting better - nice job Rob! (but man I like that Joker - to bad they are no longer available).

Last edited:

megamee

Newly Enlightened
Just an about about the current through my raw k2. Ive run through a couple of batteries and the last I just checked it and with a fresh battery and a cold light it now read 1.04 amps from a fresh battery... again dropping to under 900ma pretty quickly.

I dont know about everyone else but I'm happy about this... 900ma or so just didn't feel quite raw enought for me... I was wondering if I should have bought it with a U bin LIII, but about 1 amp with a fresh battery, seems just right to me. Even though I wouldn't notice the difference in output with that bit of extra current, its a psychological thing, I'm happy now :)
I'm also happy because after yesterday's grinding the threads seem very smooth today... feels more like a high quality flashlight with smooth threads.

Also the light does get hot, but I was still able to hold it. Anyway to me if a light gets hot quickly then its a good sign that the thermal path is good. I want it to get hot.

Last edited:

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
Man that Joker really ROCKS! :rock:

It sucks that they aren't available anymore. It's going to become a case of "they don't make them like they used to" and the Joker reflectors will attain cult status and become really expensive :p

Seriously though, there must be some way for Rob to get more of them? They are clearly superior...

Rob, you need to force McGizmo to make more of them :laughing:

megamee

Newly Enlightened
Just another quick thing... I check the battery voltage when the light is on high.. I don't know if my multimeter is at all accurate (I have 2 and they both read the same though) but from a resting voltage of 4.14v (coming off the nano) it dropped to 3.60v when loaded, as stated before with current reading just over an amp.
What current is the k2 Vf given at? because according to these measurements this k2 (UXOL???) is more like an xxxK.

Last edited:
T

tbauer

If i take a raw ns lux III UW0J, can i upgrade in future to a K2 by only change the emitter?

In my opinion at the moment the lux III UW0J is more effektiv than the K2 UX0L.

therefor i would wait for K2's with better Bin's and take the lux III at the moment.

lightrod

Enlightened
Just finished a runtime test on high and added to the post above... still impressed and happy with the K2.

I've got a new U-bin lux 3 LED coming (ruined my first one), and will repeat testing on that one for comparison when I get it. For now it's K2 over UWOJ for me!

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightrod :thumbsup: & BIG :thanks: for all your time & effot to produce your Results.

Isak Hawk,I have asked the Gizmo As nice as I can :popcorn:

Megamee, The K2's Bin is UXOL, just a thought the VF could be a K because if the VF is 3.75 it could be classed as a K or a L!!!!

tbauer, The Raw Series LEDs can be changed by any body with a little practical no how (soldering etc) With the K2 we also shorten the Heat sink spacer slightly to ensure the best focal length.
IMHO the K2 UXOL are better for the Raw & NS.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
orb said:
I have discovered the K2 has a different die/chip than the Lux 3. It does not appear larger but different. This may be the Reason we end up with a larger hot spot from the K2??
K2 on the Right has 4x4 Dots on the Die with Phosphor coating removed & the Lux 3 Left has the 4 lines as seen before. I am not sure about the construction of the LED's these are only observations.
k2-lux3.jpg

Since you have it uncovered, so to speak, could you do a precise bottom of slug to top of die measurement for the K2 and the LuxIII? Thanks,

Paul

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
chimo said:
Since you have it uncovered, so to speak, could you do a precise bottom of slug to top of die measurement for the K2 and the LuxIII? Thanks,

Paul
Yep, Bottom of slug to top of die is 3mm for the Lux 3 (May 06 Batch) Exactly the same for the K2.
Slug height with out Die is 2.6mm both the same again.
Both are 1.4mm Square.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
orb said:
Yep, Bottom of slug to top of die is 3mm for the Lux 3 (May 06 Batch) Exactly the same for the K2.
Slug height with out Die is 2.6mm both the same again.
Both are 1.4mm Square.

Thank you very much!

Paul

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The K2 LED has now been added as an option for the Raw & Raw Ns on our web site.
BIG :thanks: as always to lightlust :thumbsup:

benp1

Newly Enlightened
Please could someone explain to me what a joker reflector is?

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
benp1 said:
Please could someone explain to me what a joker reflector is?

An over simplified explanation would be that some of the Lumileds 3 Watt Luxeons have a different die height and essentially a different focal length for an optimum beam pattern.
The "joker reflector" is made to give the proper beam with the Luxeons that have now become known as the "joker LED's with the different die height.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

benp1

Newly Enlightened
mtbkndad, thanks for your reply. The problem is my lack of knowledge! I don't fully understand your reply because i don't understand what 'die' is, but i do appreciate you trying to simplify it

the even shorted version is the joker reflector is specifically designed for certain leds...... if i understand correcty

thanks

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry if I sound ignorant

Is this a special edition? or now available for regular sale?

I am interested in an Orb Raw either Ali or Ns (can't afford Ti) do we get a discount as CPF members?

And almost forgot does the Ali and Ns both run on CR2 batts?

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
QUOTE From Concept.

Is this a special edition? or now available for regular sale? : The K2 Raw & NS are available as optional extras.

I am interested in an Orb Raw either Ali or Ns (can't afford Ti) do we get a discount as CPF members? : I have always kept the prices low, which is the same as discount or on sale.

And almost forgot does the Ali and Ns both run on CR2 batts? : The Alu Raw is PRCR2 & the NS is 14250 Cell. Slighty smaller.

:thanks: