New Smallest? 3w from Orb (Raw)

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two things really get my attention U bin and 20mm aleph reflector! I absolutely love my Aleph2 but when I compare my wiz2 520 with my lionheart (DD on li-ion pulling up around 1.2 amps) the lionheart is not that much brighter and the additional brightness thats gained by running at such high currents are at the expense of runtime (which lionheart compensates for with pwm), LED longevity and battery longevity. Someone who knows for certain, correct me if I'm wrong but high discharge rates will wear out this smaller capacity battery quicker AND the VF of the led is likely to rise faster when that overdriven. I could be wrong but I think thats like burning the runtime 'candle' at both ends.

I love your proto and the idea of a U bin and the aleph 2 reflector gives me a woody. Would it be possible to make some with slightly longer bodies to which a buyer could add their own sandwich or is the diameter of the tubing an issue? It's just that I run into lots of situations where I'd want more than 10 minutes of runtime.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm probably in for a U bin. Is it possible to pay in EUR or GBP? I'm from Belgium, you see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Prolepsis

Enlightened
Very interesting light. I'm in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Two stage would be nice, but not essential (for me), since you are using rechargeables.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I missed that:
Is there a front lens?
How protected against harsh environmet is it?

(I would like to mount one on my hard hat).

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple is the key with Raw. I want to keep it all as it is & I think the beauty of direct drive Vs Step up is that all the Ma pulled go into the Led.
Don't get me wrong but I gave myself a different brief to normal, Raw Brightness smallest package Cheap as pos!
I will be asking for £s GBP only.
I have had no lense on the Proto, but will provide a lense of some kind on the production Run.
great Responce Guys many thanks.

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
if you don't want to do a dual stage switch you can do 2-3 head options...

for example a head with a J voltage luxeon for 900ma on li-ion and 140ma on lithium

head with L voltage luxeon for 4-500ma on li-ion

but also H K M voltage luxeons...

so everyone can choice the head or buy both

SolarFlare

Enlightened
List moved

I make that 20 Rob, Got any tritiums left /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

easilyled

Flashaholic
Please put this Brit willing to pay in GBP and hoping
for a UYOJ-bin and a 3-pin plug on the charger down on the list. (with 2 rechargeable CR2s) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Will there be confirmation of the actual bins for the lights sent out?

I'm also interested to know whether the 10 minutes run-time quoted applies to a T-bin or a U-bin and whether after 10-minutes there is no light, or whether there is still some weaker light

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blimey a list Thanks solar, mind you have to be careful with these lists, there are lots of tritium vials left!!
I have enough U bins to cover so far.
After 10mins full brightness it falls of quickly to some light but not alot. Wise to charge at that point.
I like all the idea's suggested but due to being determined to keep the price low feel that any additional features will add cost. We all no who bares the brunt then.
At the moment the 3 watt lux has the highest component cost then the batteries & charger Reflector Case Etc.

SolarFlare

Enlightened
I'm assuming everyone so far would want a U bin, but I only added it to the ones that stated they wanted it. "there are lots of tritium vials left!!" So does that mean theres room for a locator somewhere to find these little fellas in the dark, like a milled slot on the flat of the tail cap? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
SolarFlare said:
speculative unofficial RAW list

Wisti (U bin)
Powernoodle
Amorphous x 2
SolarFlare x 2 (U bin)
Gadgetometry
X-ray
Ctechlite
ledvador
FRANKV2
Robban (U bin)
Lazerburns (U bin)
analogguy
mut
Andreas
Oldtimer (U bin)
Erasmus (U bin)
Prolepsis
Moeman
easilyled (U bin)
dbrad (U bin)
arewethereyetdad (U bin)

total 23

Rob you'll have to state how many U flux emitters you have

[/ QUOTE ]

Count me in! Added my name and updated total.

GiveMeLight

Newly Enlightened
Okay, keep it simple to keep down cost. I'll go for that.
Put me down for one please SolarFlare.
What's a U bin? (some designator for tint of the LED?)

Thanks,
Gabe

SolarFlare

Enlightened
I think Rob has UYOJ bin emitters.U is the Flux rating 87 to 113 lumens approx. YO is the tint which is white to cool/blue white and J is the Vf which is somewhere around 3.5 volts.