New Surefire EB1 Clicky (Beamshots added) - Review and runtime results

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can it be that the 4.2V cell fried something in Sean's EB1T so now it doesn't have a low mode?

I'm not sure how that would be the case since low mode didn't work when I took it out of the box new and tried the light for the first time with the provided surefire 123. Low mode didn't work until I used a surefire Lifepo4 cell.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire EB1 Backup Review

Just got my replacement EB1T and it doesn't work on low mode either. Low mode is like 80%-100% output & flickers, high mode is solid. So either I'm the unluckiest person in the world or their are a bunch of defective ones out there. And to add insult to injury the tint on the replacement is not as good as the first.

wensynch

Newly Enlightened

^ You probably already know, but the EB1 w/ shroud always turns on on high mode and a light second tap to switch to low. Click fully after desired mode is activated.

Seems to be a battery compatibility issue you are encountering, as it does turn on. I find it interesting how you are encountering the opposite effect to what I encountered with the RCR123a.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just got my replacement EB1T and it doesn't work on low mode either. Low mode is like 80%-100% output & flickers, high mode is solid. So either I'm the unluckiest person in the world or their are a bunch of defective ones out there. And to add insult to injury the tint on the replacement is not as good as the first.

Ouch... Well, you know the traditional refrain from the CPF chorus: 'SureFire has great customer service!'

I feel your pain. I bought a couple of Titan-A's and both had mode switching problems. And, from posts here it seems that there are indeed a number of those lights even in recent serials with similar problems.

Doesn't the EB1-T use a resistor in the tailcap like the classic Lumamax lights (LX2 etc.)?

Is there some continuity issue with the tailcap from too much or too little lubricant? You know that drill. Clean out the tailcap and body threads and see if that helps. If not, get out the Nyogel 760G and thoroughly lube the parts to see if that is the solution.

And the fact that the earlier light worked OK with other battery chemistries still makes me wonder if the voltage change to sense the mode transition signal is somehow set for the higher voltage rechargeable cells.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast

These are now being sold at reasonable prices on eBay since the 300 lumen version has been released, I couldn't resist a Surefire EB1C-A-BK, it's the 200/5 lumen model being sold for just under $90 new.

Looking at the photo's that the seller has posted it appears to be an early version, so it must be very old stock.

kj2

Flashaholic

These are now being sold at reasonable prices on eBay since the 300 lumen version has been released, I couldn't resist a Surefire EB1C-A-BK, it's the 200/5 lumen model being sold for just under $90 new.
Am looking at those as well. But customs fees keep me from buying. Plus, I rather have the 300lm version.

shrike2222

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought this EB1T-A-SL.
It's emitter is different with normal EB1.
I think this is XP-E2. As far as I knew, EB1's emitter is XP-E of 200lm version.
When I saw this XP-E2 version, I thought this is 300lm version. But as 880arm's review, this is just little changed 200lm of EB1 not 300lm.

P1070364_zpsivwmquam.jpg

EB1 XP-E2(?)
P1070378_zpsiylarclr.jpg

EB1 XP-E
2673624D5622F7780BD936

Attachments

• P1070364.jpg
    P1070364.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 85

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought this EB1T-A-SL.
It's emitter is different with normal EB1.
I think this is XP-E2. As far as I knew, EB1's emitter is XP-E of 200lm version.
When I saw this XP-E2 version, I thought this is 300lm version. But as 880arm's review, this is just little changed 200lm of EB1 not 300lm.

P1070364_zpsivwmquam.jpg

EB1 XP-E2(?)
P1070378_zpsiylarclr.jpg

EB1 XP-E
2673624D5622F7780BD936

Ooooh another variant?
Maybe SF wasn't satisfied with the lux they got from thr XPG2.

Do you notice any difference in output between them?

rjking

Enlightened

Yep, I called Surefire and the eb1t is enroute to them to replace it. That seems to be the only way to guarantee a properly working light.

Was it replaced the second time? Is it working properly now? How was the tint this time?

Jose Marin

Enlightened

Back to the 16340 discussion, i know its proven they work in the eb1 but do they work in the e1b does anybody know?