New Thrunite Ti2 model - 3lm & 81lm

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I got a free Ti2 with the order of A TN30. So far it runs well with an enloop or a lithium ion AAA. I'm going to try a 10440 in it for sheets and geegles.

:D

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Teej, put a freshly charged eneloop in your Ti2, turn it to high and leave it there and wait til about 15 minutes and see if it cycles to low for 36 sec and then back to high for 72 sec and then low for 36 sec and does this for quite awhile (I'd have to look at my data to get exact numbers). I put the 2nd Ti2 and its doing it also.........but perhaps different timing.

It's getting late and I may have to report back on this tomorrow. I'm just wondering if its associated with not having the head tightened into the high position enough. I just don't know right now. Need to do some more testing.

blackFFM

Newly Enlightened
Interestingly, all of the Ti boxes have a sticker which covers what was probably the original firefly lumen markings, now indicating firefly is 3 lumens.

There were/ are 2 versions available. One with 3 lumens low mode and one with 0.04. They just made one box.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the problems I mentioned above, it looks like its a no issue. What I found was that I was just barely turning the light til it went to high. Basically just trying not to compress the battery any more than need be, but let's face it, it can tolerate a certain amount and I obviously was too timid. Somehow that was causing intermittent connecton and it might have been due to the tolerance changing at the positive terminal with it heating up............not sure..........just happy its working.

So for those that might be interested in the run time graph, I've compared against a couple other single AAA lights. None of these are exactly current regulated but adequate for their price and function. Looks like the Thrunite is a little more efficient........especially the Ti2 with XP-G2.

Test was done with freshly charged Eneloops.

Last edited:

IcantC

Enlightened
So I ordered one to try out and I like it so far, beam is throwy. I am running an Energizer L92 aaa lithium.

Below is a photo compared to a Fenix E01, Fenix E0, AA Eneloop and AAA L92.
http://i.imgur.com/fTQq0.jpg

On low it appears brighter than E0 but dimmer than E01, on high it blows both of them out. Will see how reliable it is. You can see the evolution of the AAA lights getting bigger lol. E0 has floodiest beam. Will try it outdoors tomorrow, my wife loves the blue color so I guess I need to buy me one :D.

Your image is too large and has been replaced with a link. Please resize and repost.
See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
OK, I did try the Ti2 with a 10440, and, it ROCKS.

The low is still pretty low, as in I still have to aim it at my hand to see if its really on, but the high is now HIGH....maybe 300 lumens?

I've been keeping in in my pocket for weeks now...and I keep taking it out to play with...so much light from a teeny AAA just makes me grin everytime.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
For customers in the U.S., is the Ti2 available through only Thrunite's ebay store and an online store that appears to be owned by Thrunite called thrunite-store ?

And did Thrunite made any improvements to the metal tab in the Ti2 in comparison to the tab in the Ti ?

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought each color off of Amazon. Although they appear to be sold out now. It says on their Ebay/Amazon listing they are US stock. Mine took just three days to show up from California.

No improvements made in the tab. I find the trick with the metal tab is not to screw the head to full tightness. That seems to bend the tab a little too much, and eventually the low mode becomes inaccessible. Also, don't bend the tab out too far, repeatedly stressing the tab weakens it.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
Thank you very much, GordoJones88. Between (a) your advice on how to avoid mishandling the tab and (b) the upgrade to an XPG2, I am ready to try this model.

My reason for initially thinking the Ti2 was not being sold by Thrunite through amazon was that amazon did not return any results when I searched for "Ti2". Since I don't have and don't want a paypal account and since this model is apparently being sold exclusively through Thrunite, I was trying to find other means of buying it other than ebay. I'll keep an eye on amazon for when Thrunite has the Ti2 in stock again.

quick question:
One picture on thrunite-store shows a green body with "Ti2" printed on it. But the rest of the website does not list a green Ti2 as a purchase-able option. I noticed the same thing in a listing on ebay. Does a green Ti2 not exist yet ?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
So there is no way to purchase a colored version of a Ti2 with the .04 lumen Firefly mode? Is it still at least available in black with .04 Firefly?

Dubois

Enlightened
So there is no way to purchase a colored version of a Ti2 with the .04 lumen Firefly mode? Is it still at least available in black with .04 Firefly?

I haven't seen the true firefly (0.04 lumen) on Ti lights for some time, or on Ti2 lights at all. I thought I'd struck lucky when I saw a 0.04 lomen spec on one of a bundle of Ti's I'd bought last year,but then found the "3 lm" sticker on my floor:oops:

Last edited:

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
illuminationsupply's website right now is listing the Firefly model in black as available for purchase; I don't know what their inventory level is, though.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's for the old Ti not the Ti2, and I already have probably 10 of the original Ti .04 / 60 lumen models in black already.

illuminationsupply's website right now is listing the Firefly model in black as available for purchase; I don't know what their inventory level is, though.

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened

The low is still pretty low, as in I still have to aim it at my hand to see if its really on, but the high is now HIGH....maybe 300 lumens?

I've been keeping in in my pocket for weeks now...and I keep taking it out to play with...so much light from a teeny AAA just makes me grin everytime.

Is that so...hmm I may have to pick one up while I wait for the MBI Torpedo to come out.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the L3 1xAA light with XP-G2 and it does seem like a nice improvement and maybe it is more tint with me as it is not greenish at all which other XP-Gs tended to be when they first came out.

JKolmo

Enlightened

Hmmm, I also want to take the 10440 route with my Ti2. I'd like to put an IMR 10440 in there. Before I do that though, are you sure you don't fry it? The paperwork says "input voltage 0.9 - 1.5v". Guess it might be OK for short bursts only?

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
It likely goes into direct-drive. I don't know if that will damage the circuit or be affected by the XP-G2's slightly lower Vf, however... People will just have to keep testing.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 10440 will damage the LED over time. It just may take a few years before you notice how much dimmer the LED is than when you first got it. The Ti2 XPG2 is such a nice light with a useful beam for just $10, buy another one when you wear it out.

I do not intend to use a 10440 because it will have too short a runtime for it's purpose. For me, this light is better suited to having the 80 lumens at 40 minutes per charge than 200 lumens at 10 minutes per charge.

Last edited:

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
throw-iness of Ti2 compared to Ti

I am interested in how the throw-iness of the Ti2 compares to the Ti. So far I have come across these two comments.

So I ordered one to try out and I like it so far, beam is throwy. I am running an Energizer L92 aaa lithium.

I received my Thrunite Ti2 XPG2 a few days ago. I give it 5 stars. It is noticeably brighter than the Ti XPE I have to compare it to. The Ti2 hotspot is about twice as big as the Ti hotspot. The throw seems to be exactly the same as I have spent the last 2 nights with fresh batteries trying to discern a difference. The tint is totally pure white. The beam profile, hotspot size, and tint match my Eagletac D25C XMLU2 clicky almost exactly.

I don't think the Ti2 XPG2 really needs a 10440 to double the brightness. I find the beam and brightness to be very useable as is.
(link)