NEW ThruNite TN12 (2016)

uofaengr

Enlightened
That's kind of harsh. I think most people who do a lot of reviews on CPF generally are pretty honest. I think you can look at light reviews in one of two ways... It's beginning to be like other tech where we are seeing yearly and almost obligatory "upgrades" of lights (aka the 2015 "edition") even if it's more of a refresh and not a really big upgrade. Then there are still true big upgrades to an existing light platform where not only new emitters are swapped in, but big changes to things like modes, ergonomics, and optics are also changed.

With how fast LED's have changed the flashlight game it's no wonder flashlight makers are starting to do yearly refreshes of their products. It is a better light almost surely than the last iteration, objectively. So if you want to knock it just because they put out a new edition so fast that's kind of a separate issue in my opinion. They want to sell lights. Minor upgrades to a light is only a "failure" if you are on the consumer end of things and were explicitly expecting more from this edition. I think them calling it an edition kind of points that out too. They aren't claiming it is a truly superior upgrade in every way to the 2014 edition and the price indicates that.

You can review a light with expectations of what you think it should be or you can review it for what it is. I can't help but fall prey to the numbers and editions game where you want the latest thing, but if you are fine with just actually looking at what the light offers then it is a very nice package. Get last year's edition if it's cheaper and offers everything you want. Wait for the true upgrades if that's what you really need.

Note: The 2016 edition is actually 1 dollar cheaper on the TN site right now which is kind of weird? Pre-order introductory price?
Yep, talking about YouTube, bud. Didn't mean any offense. Was referencing kinda like the big gun channels and stuff that don't add much substance other than "it's brighter than this other light". I only take the contributors here very seriously.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting for comment on the included warning:

*Max Output
1. Please mind the hot. When the light runs a long time, there is heat coming from battery discharge, drive circuit and LED, the flashlight head will be very hot.
2. DO NOT run the light at max mode for a long time. To protect the battery, driver circuit and LED, we do not recommend you run the light at max mode more than ten minutes."

Reads like an admittedly defective design.

I am inclined to agree.

Selfbuilt reports that the ThruNite TN12 (2014) uses direct drive in its turbo and high modes. Nothing wrong with that. If, however, using those modes can damage a flashlight, then I think the maker should include a timed step-down or thermal management.

By omitting these, ThruNite has guaranteed that many owners will end up damaging their flashlights. It is ludicrous to imagine that all of its customers will remember a warning that is buried somewhere on a spec sheet.

Note that a timed step-down would allow a user to choose to step back up in an emergency. Thermal management, of course, would not.

Here are the relevant sections from Selfbuilt's review:

Output/Runtime Graphs:

To start, here is a comparison of four of my highest output recent lights in this class; the Zebralight SC600-II, Fenix PD35, Nitecore P12, and Thrunite TN12-2014:

TN12-PD35-P12-MedHi.gif

TN12-PD35-P12-MedHi_1.gif

Given the incredibly high drive level of the TN12-2014, it is not surprising that it has a direct-drive-like pattern on Max. The alternative approach - taken by the other makers shown above - is to have a defined step-down on Turbo/Max. You can see this in the initial timed step-down on the Fenix PD35 and Nitecore P12, and the full thermal-controlled step-down on the Zebralight SC600-II. Either way, it just isn't possible for these small lights to maintain that sort of output (and heat) on a single 18650 in a fully regulated fashion.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, talking about YouTube, bud. Didn't mean any offense. Was referencing kinda like the big gun channels and stuff that don't add much substance other than "it's brighter than this other light". I only take the contributors here very seriously.

Oh for sure. Yeah, I totally agree with that. There are certain big gun/knife channels that do look at lights that I stopped even watching years ago because they are so full of themselves. Won't even name names. Certain gear review channels are pretty good though on YT. The ones that do a lot of gear generally don't go into much detail about lights though--- you're right about that. I missed the "on youtube" part of the post I responded to :)

It's totally true that companies aren't going to give free stuff to reviewers on YT who say it's overall a bad product. Kind of sad. Yup... just read the specs down the line even if they have no real idea what they mean and just say it's a bright light. That's the real fail. :fail: LOL and the bucket dunk tests... In 2008 I was watching people do that on YT: "Dur... does ipx8 mean it probably won't have an ingress for water at a shallow depth?" ... yes, we've established by now that's what it means and you're doing it to lights for the 30th time.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Fenix PD35 TAC and I love it. The only Thrunite I have is an old Neutron 1A in a beautiful neutral white tint. Just ordered this light since I don't previously own any of the TN12 series. Some have commented about the big jump from 370 lumens to 1050 lumens but it doesn't really bother me. On the contrary I like it this way. 370 lumens is more than enough for any given tasks and I think I will only reserve the 1050 lumens for spotting something in the dark. It's funny how Thrunite did not mention about the slightly lesser output on neutral white selection but I honestly don't care. I hope to see manufacturers like Fenix and Thrunite using the new XP-L HI in this sort of light. There is nothing like having a more compact light capable of throwing further.

bdogps

Enlightened
They should have fixed the side switch button, now they made it stick out more. The strobe mode is useless in a emergency situation considering how far the button is. It seems like useless feature unless that is your thing. Like others said, why not a different led?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should have fixed the side switch button, now they made it stick out more. The strobe mode is useless in a emergency situation considering how far the button is. It seems like useless feature unless that is your thing. Like others said, why not a different led?
This is not a tactical light and I don't understand why the strobe feature is there, but I am glad it is hidden and not part of the modes to cycle through.

Javora

Enlightened
I was really hoping that Thrunite would add a Stainless steel bezel to the front to help protect it from drops. Something along the lines of their Archer series.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the old TN12, and keep rooting for an update that I'll love. One thing I do really like about this light is the mode spacing; for me personally, I really like it. I like the mode spacing on this better than what I think is going to be my new favorite in this form factor, the ET DX30LC2. But the eagletac is 2cm shorter (how in the world do they shave 20mm off it but still have a side switch?), changed to a HI LED (which IMO absolutely does make sense even in a light of this form factor), and has a timed stepdown from turbo, all of which make it a better choice for me.

Prepped

Enlightened
Man. Decisions, decisions. I'm in the market for an 18650 sized light for EDC, and up until about five minutes ago I was set on the TN12. However, I've seen a few posts about some QC issues, their presentation of this new product on their site seems sketchy to me, and poorly done. I'm not seeing too much of an upgrade here. I almost think I would have preferred the old output levels from the 2014 model, and the lack of step down from high mode worries me. I just took a look at the ET DX30LC2 and it looks perfect, other than no moonlight mode. What's a man to do, eh?

Enlightened
I am inclined to agree. Selfbuilt reports that the ThruNite TN12 (2014) uses direct drive in its turbo and high modes. Nothing wrong with that. If, however, using those modes can damage a flashlight, then I think the maker should include a timed step-down or thermal management.
Where does it say it is direct drive? The graph could look like that because of the tiny battery used.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
its like an up armored 2014 model. The 1050 to 370 lumen jump is a bit much but agree that 370 is more than enough for most tasks. What new emitter are they talking about? The CW 2014 was already using the U2 possibly a poor write up that missed the possible XP-L/U3 etc "new" emitter? Selfbuilt knows what hes talking about. If he says the 2014 was direct drive in turbo and high and hes got the data charts to back up such a pattern (albeit with 2200mah cell) I believe him. Ive got a 3600mah cell stuffed in my new NW 2014 and am sure although the run times on turbo and high are MUCH longer lasting they still curve downwards in direct drive pattern. Im just at a loss for the "new emitter". Unless Im missing something totally they are using the same emitters. Still like the look of the 2016 though and anxiously await Selfbuilts review

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where does it say it is direct drive? The graph could look like that because of the tiny battery used.

True, indeed. What Selfbuilt actually said was, "Given the incredibly high drive level of the TN12-2014, it is not surprising that it has a direct-drive-like pattern on Max. The alternative approach - taken by the other makers shown above - is to have a defined step-down on Turbo/Max. You can see this in the initial timed step-down on the Fenix PD35 and Nitecore P12, and the full thermal-controlled step-down on the Zebralight SC600-II." I included this quote in my OP.

I guess that means the ThruNite TN12 (2014) might—or might not—use direct drive in its highest modes. Glad you caught an error in what was a passing remark on my part.

From the TN12 (2016) NW web page at ThruNite.com:

CAUTION

*Max Output

1. Please mind the hot. When the light runs a long time, there is heat coming from battery discharge, drive circuit and LED, the flashlight head will be very hot.
2. DO NOT run the light at max mode for a long time. To protect the battery, driver circuit and LED, we do not recommend you run the light at max mode more than ten minutes."

I still stand by my main point.

Given the warning above, I am inclined to say that the TN12 (2016) has a design flaw. A mass market flashlight should not self-destruct simply because you turn it on. It should not require an owner to read a caution buried in a user manual or web site and remember it every time he uses the flashlight. In order "to protect the battery, driver circuit and LED," a high-power flashlight (with a small body) should have a timed step-down, or else use thermal regulation.

A flashlight sold to a mass market is different from a hot rod made by modders and sold to flashaholics. Flashaholics know what they are getting into. If they want to mess with burners and rockets that are capable of self-destruction, that is their business.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
No step down,
Leaving it up to the end user?

Are you guys sure?
Not just an oversight to list the feature other then..
'Do not run more then ten minutes' to protect stuff.

I smell something burning.. Eventually.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is here in the post office. Missed the postman's drop yesterday so will have to go collect it later. It is kind of a bit disappointing to read that it is running DD on highest output with no regulations and no step down but it shouldn't affect me that much as I don't run my lights on max for more than a couple of minutes each.

uofaengr

Enlightened
I'll consider just picking up a spare 2014 if they're ever put on a deep discount.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I collected my neutral white TN12 from the post office. Somehow I don't feel excited about it at all and have been delaying my time to get to the post office until the evening prior to them closing for the day. Even after collection I didn't even bother to unwrap it for a full 5 hours when I had all the time to. Maybe I was jaded since I already have a Fenix PD35 TAC which I like very much, but then what's the difference in another new light with the same UI and output? Well, I took my time unwrapping the packaging, all these while feeling no sense of excitement whatsoever. Nothing. Zip. No feelings for it.

Then I took out a battery and inserted it in. Tap the switch and saw the neutral white tint and I went, "Gosh! Super bright Nichia 219!" This got my attention! That's right guys, the tint from this light (got the neutral white one) is so Nichia 219 like I couldn't believe my eyes! It is an XM-L2 in there alright and then I was suddenly impressed. Compared it side by side to the Fenix PD35 TAC which is using an XP-L and I couldn't even tell a difference in the size of the hotspot. They both look the same even though the Thrunite is using an XM-L2 with a bigger die size and I was expecting a more floody beam profile. This light does throw reasonably well considering it is using such a small reflector (notice I said reasonably).

It tail stands great but at the expense of a deeper recessed switch (compared to the Fenix), thus making it a little harder to do momentary presses without sometimes pushing too deep and clicking it on instead. Guess I need to get used to the amount of strength to use when doing momentary presses.

Rear switch felt mushy and doesn't feel as robust and precise as the one from Fenix. The new metallic side switch felt good, even better than the one on the Fenix. The side switch protrudes a little more than the Fenix and is easier to find. The Fenix side switch is almost flushed with the body of the light and is just hard to find. Can't imagine one trying to access the side switch on the Fenix when wearing gloves.

Mode spacing. I guess this is what everyone is interested in. I see many have complaint about the difference between Max and High to be like jumping off a cliff. Looking at the numbers on paper it would seem so, but in actual use, this is not the case. I find the difference to be very close. Remember that our eyes works in a logarithmic way and we would need at least a 2 to 3 times difference in output to actually see a real difference. On the other hand, the difference between low and medium is really like jumping off a cliff! This is my main pet peeve with Thrunite. It is nice that they provide a Firefly mode, but their low is a little too low, and their medium is a little too high. It was like this on their Neutron series, and it still is now. The manual claims the medium output to be at 145 lumens on medium, and 11 lumens on low (let's omit Firefly since it's a dedicated output). Between 11 lumens and 145 lumens is like 4.5 times difference in output! It is so obvious to the eyes. The low is too dim for proper close up work, especially with aging eyes like mine, and medium is too high it is a little blinding! What were you thinking Thrunite?

As for the clip? It works well alright but felt a little bit loose compared to the ones provided by Fenix. I hate clip on clips but the ones on the Fenix PD35 TAC is real solid and tight, just not the Thrunite clips which tends to swivel around a bit too easily when turning the head or the tail cap. Kind of have a bad feeling that I will loose the clip one day when it decides to pop off the light when I am pocket carrying it.

Overall, I like it. It is nice for something that costs so little. I just hope that Thrunite would improve on those areas which I have mentioned and this light will be sweet!

Last edited:

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
I collected my neutral white TN12 from the post office. Somehow I don't feel excited about it at all and have been delaying my time to get to the post office until the evening prior to them closing for the day. Even after collection I didn't even bother to unwrap it for a full 5 hours when I had all the time to. Maybe I was jaded since I already have a Fenix PD35 TAC which I like very much, but then what's the difference in another new light with the same UI and output? Well, I took my time unwrapping the packaging, all these while feeling no sense of excitement whatsoever. Nothing. Zip. No feelings for it.

Then I took out a battery and inserted it in. Tap the switch and saw the neutral white tint and I went, "Gosh! Super bright Nichia 219!" This got my attention! That's right guys, the tint from this light (got the neutral white one) is so Nichia 219 like I couldn't believe my eyes! It is an XM-L2 in there alright and then I was suddenly impressed. Compared it side by side to the Fenix PD35 TAC which is using an XP-L and I couldn't even tell a difference in the size of the hotspot. They both look the same even though the Thrunite is using an XM-L2 with a bigger die size and I was expecting a more floody beam profile. This light does throw reasonably well considering it is using such a small reflector (notice I said reasonably).

It tail stands great but at the expense of a deeper recessed switch (compared to the Fenix), thus making it a little harder to do momentary presses without sometimes pushing too deep and clicking it on instead. Guess I need to get used to the amount of strength to use when doing momentary presses.

Rear switch felt mushy and doesn't feel as robust and precise as the one from Fenix. The new metallic side switch felt good, even better than the one on the Fenix. The side switch protrudes a little more than the Fenix and is easier to find. The Fenix side switch is almost flushed with the body of the light and is just hard to find. Can't imagine one trying to access the side switch on the Fenix when wearing gloves.

Mode spacing. I guess this is what everyone is interested in. I see many have complaint about the difference between Max and High to be like jumping off a cliff. Looking at the numbers on paper it would seem so, but in actual use, this is not the case. I find the difference to be very close. Remember that our eyes works in a logarithmic way and we would need at least a 2 to 3 times difference in output to actually see a real difference. On the other hand, the difference between low and medium is really like jumping off a cliff! This is my main pet peeve with Thrunite. It is nice that they provide a Firefly mode, but their low is a little too low, and their medium is a little too high. It was like this on their Neutron series, and it still is now. The manual claims the medium output to be at 145 lumens on medium, and 11 lumens on low (let's omit Firefly since it's a dedicated output). Between 11 lumens and 145 lumens is like 4.5 times difference in output! It is so obvious to the eyes. The low is too dim for proper close up work, especially with aging eyes like mine, and medium is too high it is a little blinding! What were you thinking Thrunite?

As for the clip? It works well alright but felt a little bit loose compared to the ones provided by Fenix. I hate clip on clips but the ones on the Fenix PD35 TAC is real solid and tight, just not the Thrunite clips which tends to swivel around a bit too easily when turning the head or the tail cap. Kind of have a bad feeling that I will loose the clip one day when it decides to pop off the light when I am pocket carrying it.

Overall, I like it. It is nice for something that costs so little. I just hope that Thrunite would improve on those areas which I have mentioned and this light will be sweet!

Thanks for the feedback bro. I have been keeping an eye on the light and was hoping that someone could come up with a solid review which you have done brilliantly. I have the TN12 2014 and was planning to pre-order the light but will wait for more reviews before I purchase the light to see if it is worth upgrading from the 2014 model.

Treeguy

Enlightened
I'm going to look into this. I like the looks of the TN12, and I love the price, but I saw posts and videos about its "fragility". If the light is made tougher, and it's still in the same price range, it's a good deal for a 1000 lumen pocket light.

D6859

Enlightened
I ordered the NW version last Saturday. I hope it is really delivered to me on Wednesday as Amazon promises so I get to test it in real use right away.

I've been using CW version of 2014 model for 1.5 years and the new mode spacing seems better, though they should have kept the low mode untouched. Also, "Super bright Nichia 219" sounds goood :)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered the NW version last Saturday. I hope it is really delivered to me on Wednesday as Amazon promises so I get to test it in real use right away.

I've been using CW version of 2014 model for 1.5 years and the new mode spacing seems better, though they should have kept the low mode untouched. Also, "Super bright Nichia 219" sounds goood :)
Been using mine more often since my last post and I am liking it very much. I apologize I hadn't been able to get a side by side beam shot for you as I was too lazy to pack my camera along on the last few trips when out hiking. I can assure you that you will be pretty happy with it.

In regards to the mode spacing between high and max, it really isn't a lot of difference visually although the numbers seems to suggest otherwise. There is a discernible difference but not like a cliff drop. Tint wise, it is still one of the best neutral white around. I would prefer something with a little more rosiness to it but this will do. Can't be too fussy with such great output coming out from this thing.

Hope you like yours too!